Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

47RE Valve Body - Best? Worse? What do you run?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 11:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
47RE Valve Body - Best? What do you run?

I have a Suncoast Triple Disk on the way for my 47re and from what I have heard a valve body would be a wise investment to install with it. I was going to run a Transgo, but since this is my daily driver and need minimal down time and maximum results. Hence the aftermarket valvebody.

There are many brands and they all seem to have the same advertised features, so what makes one different, better, or worse than another? What features does the one you run have that you like? Which dont you like? What brand have you used and disliked or liked?

There are many out there, Dunrite/DTT/Suncoast/HTS/Goerend/ATS, etc. I have been considering two above the rest, with a close third. The top two are Suncoast and HTS. Suncoast since I am assuming it would be better matched to my Suncoast brand converter, although I have caught wind that recent valve bodies havent lived up to their rep from one of their dealers. HTS since they are local to my home town, and if I ever needed support they are within driving range, and I could utilize their valve body in a full HTS build. The reason I like this option is local tech support and being able have a place I can drive to and ask questions or return parts, etc. I spoke with Dusty over the phone and he's much like me, a racer with a helpful attitude who doesnt act like a used car salesman. The kinda guy who you could call while building your trans and ask questions. The third is Dunrite, they seem to be the elders in this business and have a good description of what their valve body does, although being in WA is far from me and I didnt like the way they positioned themselves over the phone. Even though Suncoast isnt local to me, I have a friend who is a dealer and is local to me.

So here's your chance to sway me one way or another and tell me about the traits and benefits of the valve body you use. I'd rather not make a frankenstein trans with parts from many different brands cause I'd like to have the parts work together well, so please take that into consideration.

-Dustin-
Old 11-01-2007, 11:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The only one I really know about is Dunrite because they are local to me and I made it a point to stop by and get to know them. Tony can be a bit abrupt sometimes but he does know his stuff. He is the elder statesman of the trans business for sure. He is the guy a couple of the aforementioned fellers call when they run up against a problem they can't solve. Some use Tony's parts to build their valve bodies. Rip Rook (Source Automotive) is using his trans build and turning 10.90's with his 3rd Gen. So far it is hanging together. Pretty good testament to what he can do.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:36 AM

I'd go with HTS since they are close to you. That's an important thing to keep in mind when buying an aftermarket tranny is after the sale service and proximity to the installer for later issues.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:12 AM

Before I pulled my auto out to start converting it to a manual I ran a dunrite. I didn't have a converter but it was holdin fine with wat I had done with 4 hooks to a sled and boosted launches. Tony is knows his stuff. He has answered and talked every time I called even at 7:00 in the mornin. If I was keeping an auto I would diffinatly buy another dunrite. I've never ran anything else myself so I can't say on them.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got a fully built 47RE by DTT with a 48RE VB for my 12v. Get a VB upgrade to a 48RE VB. can play with it a bit more. Call up Jeff Garmon in Atlanta. I know he does a lot of work with Suncoast. JMO.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:55 AM

I like the Goerend vb. I have one in my truck obviously and have put them in several other transmission builds with good results.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:01 AM
JIT

Why is an Aftermarket Valvebody better than having the factory VB rebuilt with your tranny? I had my Tranny rebuilt and a Billet TQ installed and when I mentioned the aftermarket VB they said it wasnt needed!?!?
Old 11-02-2007, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by JIT
Why is an Aftermarket Valvebody better than having the factory VB rebuilt with your tranny? I had my Tranny rebuilt and a Billet TQ installed and when I mentioned the aftermarket VB they said it wasnt needed!?!?
Aftermarket valve bodies increase the line pressure to allow better clutch holding power. They can also be modified to allow manual torque converter lockup in 1,2nd,3rd, & 4th gears.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:09 PM

I had both BD and the Goerend vb, love the Goerend vb over the BD. woulden't go with any other brand. Service was over the top from both PDP and Goerend.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bobcat698
Aftermarket valve bodies increase the line pressure to allow better clutch holding power. They can also be modified to allow manual torque converter lockup in 1,2nd,3rd, & 4th gears.
Don't forget about mods to allow oil circulation in Park & Neutral instead of just Neutral.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:48 PM

where r they

where can u find them at would it help the life of a stock trans with aftermarket torque converter
Old 11-02-2007, 03:32 PM

Great information guys. I think it's going to be a toss up between Suncoast and HTS. That's mostly due to the closeness of HTS and Suncoast working with the converter. I just wish I knew all the small features. I guess I'll be calling both of them and seeing what they provide. I'd like to call everyone, but I dont think I'll have the time. Anything I should ask about?

I have read that Dusty's service is very good.

-Dustin-
Old 11-02-2007, 05:13 PM

yup, Dusty will treat u right. HTS along with a handful of others make a wicked valvebody, but having your trans builder in your back yard is priceless

Randy
Old 11-02-2007, 05:36 PM

i am the king of bad luck,so here is my advise.....whichever you go with,after its done,get yourself a pressure guage and check the line pressure on it.......after having a sticky valve with one of the above mentioned big name builders,he sent me another body.it didnt shift as hard as the first,but he told me he had changed a few things,and it would shift a little smoother.so i figured it was fine..well i ended up at the track one night,first pass i made,when it shifted into third,it went up in smoke..when i checked the line pressures afterward,it was stock line pressure!!somewhere in there he managed to send me a stock vb......i ended up having to eat that tranny out of my pocket.....your best bet is to find the most local to you,so when you have problems,you can get the truck to them......bama
Old 11-02-2007, 07:45 PM

They're all good man. I'd go with HTS! Dusty knows what he's doing. Should save you a few bills too.

Quick Reply: 47RE Valve Body - Best? Worse? What do you run?