Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

47re Temperature Gage

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 02:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
47re Temperature Gage

I'm going to install a tranny temp gage in the hot line from the torque converter before it goes into the heat exchanger. I was wondering if anyone has experience with the replacement line from Diesel Manor? Their line has a built in temp port for the gage sending unit. I can get the replacement line from the dealer, p/n 5011244AA but it cost $112.00 ( this line is for 94-95 trucks). I would rather get the Diesel Manor line since it's cheaper and it doesn't have the built in check valve.
Old 11-10-2008, 03:52 PM

On a 2nd gen try the following, much cheaper than $100 and it has been working well on my truck for the last 3 years.

http://www.genosgarage.com/prodinfo....ber=VULCAN_VTA
Old 11-10-2008, 05:45 PM

i bought the line from diesel manor, very easy to install and the t that they have in the line is leak free. If you choose to buy the line from diesel manor, be prepared to loose about 5qts of tranny fluid when you take your old line off. You will deff want a cath pan under the truck to catch the fluid. I just took the line off and let the fluid drain untill it stopped instead of trying to put the new line in with the fluid still draining out. It is very easy to do if you dont mind getting a little atf on you.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:46 PM

just get a compression t fitting. its a lot cheaper than the new line. it works well too. if need pics i could snap a few.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by Sea:\>Drive
On a 2nd gen try the following, much cheaper than $100 and it has been working well on my truck for the last 3 years.

http://www.genosgarage.com/prodinfo....ber=VULCAN_VTA
Keith, thanks for the link. I will give some thought to this setup. It looks like you would have to cut the metal line to put in this T and add a couple of pieces of transmission fluid rated hose to make the connection.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by psd tuner
just get a compression t fitting. its a lot cheaper than the new line. it works well too. if need pics i could snap a few.
I would appreciate some pics of your set up. If you install the compression T fitting, obviously you need to cut the metal line; install a couple of ferrules; flare the ends of the tranny line and then make the T connection, right? Also, can you get the compression T fitting with a 1/8th npt sending unit connection? I've never used compression fittings before so this would be new for me.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:41 AM
TB1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm pretty sure the diesel manor line uses a swagelock fitting which is like a compression fitting but has a permanent lock when torqued down, were as a regular compression fitting can vibrate loose or the ferrules came crush the line causing a leak I tried the compression fitting first with out much luck I had it stop leaking once. Swagelock fitting cost about $25 and you will still have to cut the line to install. I bought the Chrysler line mentioned above it cost me $285 Canadian about a year ago....... we tend to get ripped off on parts
Old 11-11-2008, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by billmac
Keith, thanks for the link. I will give some thought to this setup. It looks like you would have to cut the metal line to put in this T and add a couple of pieces of transmission fluid rated hose to make the connection.
Negative, right at the cooler (front of truck) is existing rubber hose. Razor knife and a screwdriver is all you need. Quick install. Don't even have to get the creeper out if you don't want to. I did mine in about 15 minutes and that was with a break. Never has leaked in 3 years (approx 60k miles on it so far).
Old 11-11-2008, 04:33 PM

Negative, right at the cooler (front of truck) is existing rubber hose. Razor knife and a screwdriver is all you need. Quick install. Don't even have to get the creeper out if you don't want to. I did mine in about 15 minutes and that was with a break. Never has leaked in 3 years (approx 60k miles on it so far).
Thanks Keith! Are you satisfied with the temp readings that you are getting at this location? Most of the opinions of the "experts" indicate that the gauge probe should be located in the output line of the TC. As I've indicated in my signature, I have a Mag-Hytec tranny pan and there is a temp probe connection there. I could use that but it's not suppose to give the best readings from what I understand.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:50 PM

yep it comes with the ferral as you tighten up the nut is compresses against the line for a leak proof seal. ill get some pic tomorrow i forgot to snap some. yes you do have to cut the line and you would have to get a reduce like i did to 1/8 npt...well their perdy much all npt
Old 11-11-2008, 10:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have mine like that. It's been quite a while since we had the Snap On code reader on it, but it seems like it read pretty much same as pan temp.
Old 11-12-2008, 12:53 AM

I used a regular brass T-Block and a couple compression fittings from work. Then just grabbed a reducer for the actual sensor. Put some pipe dope on there and tightened things down. I have only gotten a chance to run the truck for a few minutes after the install, but with that there was no leaks.

I will get a picture once my internet stops being stupid.