Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

42 lbs of boost bad on stock turbo??

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2005, 07:53 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
42 lbs of boost bad on stock turbo??

ive had guys tell me that pulling over 35lbs of boost on the stock turbo is bad on it. so am i going to need a new one if i keep this up? in 6th i can get it up to round 42 pounds. if i need a new turbo, ill have to get one that will bolt to my exhaust brake. i didnt think that i would be getting a new turbo so i didnt get the remote mount, instead i got the turbo mount. so do they even make these that will bolt to the exhaust brake? always looking for a reason to put a bigger turbo on it
Old 07-25-2005, 07:58 AM

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
I may be wrong on my numbers but they should be close. I think with the hx35 anything above 34lbs is just creating hot air. The turbo is just out of its effeciency range and is creating hotter air than you want thereby increasing egts. As far as replacing the turbo as long as you do not need a 4 inch elbow (I think hx 40s and above use one) on the exhaust housing you will be good.
Old 07-25-2005, 08:01 AM
Registered

well if the hx40 and above have a 4 inch elbow, what has the stock size elbow?
Old 07-25-2005, 08:15 AM

I dont know fer sure but up that ways you risk blowin a head gasket. I forget what they are rated for. I blew mine and i can only push 40psi Might be time for a wastegate
Old 07-25-2005, 08:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you are not looking to replace the turbo mount exhaust brake, start looking at hybrids. Piers has one, Bob Wagner runs a Dodgezilla. I would imagine HTT and several other vendors have one. Do some digging and you will find what you need. i would bet you would be best off with a 14 cm exhaust housing. Otherwise, you will need to adjust that wastegate to keep the turbo within its efficiency range. Not only are you feeding your engine hot air, you risk grenading the turbo.
Old 07-25-2005, 08:38 AM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: 42 lbs of boost bad on stock turbo??

Originally posted by blackdiesel02
ive had guys tell me that pulling over 35lbs of boost on the stock turbo is bad on it. so am i going to need a new one if i keep this up? in 6th i can get it up to round 42 pounds. if i need a new turbo, ill have to get one that will bolt to my exhaust brake. i didnt think that i would be getting a new turbo so i didnt get the remote mount, instead i got the turbo mount. so do they even make these that will bolt to the exhaust brake? always looking for a reason to put a bigger turbo on it
35 psi is the max efficient boost limit for a 12cm HX35....occasional spikes past that are fine but after 35 psi, the turbo is over speeding and superheating the air charge causing an egt rise. Also, drive pressures become excessive as the turbo starts to over speed which kills power and further increases egt's. If you can keep the turbo gated to 35 psi, you will be making more power than at 42 psi. A simple and inexpensive way to lower egt's, make more power and keep your E brake would be to swap to a 16cm exhaust housing. This will lower drive pressures and egt and also allow for a few psi more of cool, efficient boost. If you are planning on much more fueling than what you have now, you will most likely have to ditch your existing E brake and swap to a larger turbo.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:26 AM
Registered

i didtn think that you risked blowing a head gasket till you got up around 50 pounds? so i could switch to the 16cm exhaust housing and keep the turbo ive got or go with a hybrid? like a hx 35/40 or something? thanks alot for the advice. i dont plan on doing any more fueling than ive already got and i didnt really want to ditch the ebrake but i could sell it to dad for his truck and i could go buy me a remote mound. im not wanting to do head work for the fact that it costs money. but i could do it if i just had to.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yes

50 lbs you are running borderline for blowing head gaskets... And i do think that 42 lbs n a stock turbo is useless, due to hot air blowing and raising your egts, the 16 cm should allow cooler EGTS, but i dont know by how much..

Hope this helps...

Tx
Old 07-25-2005, 12:52 PM
Registered

my egts arent terrably high, but the lower the better.... what else would the bigger exhaust housing do? lower my egs and raise my horsepower? if so how much? would it raise my boost or lower it?
Old 07-25-2005, 01:06 PM

I'm assuming that if you had an adjustable boost elbow, you could loosen up the set screw enough to pull you down to 35 lbs? That would get you by.

But a bigger turbo is the better option, if you have the $$$
Old 07-25-2005, 01:14 PM
Registered

what kinda turbo would be ideal? it needs to be able to hook to my exhaust brake.
Old 07-25-2005, 01:25 PM

I'm running 45PSI of boost with my stock turbo.. What exactly do I do to make the wastegate open sooner?
Old 07-25-2005, 01:27 PM

Originally posted by blackdiesel02
my egts arent terrably high, but the lower the better.... what else would the bigger exhaust housing do? lower my egs and raise my horsepower? if so how much? would it raise my boost or lower it?
Bigger housing reduces drive pressure and therefore spoolup on bottom.

It flows more on top, thus lower EGT even at lower boost.
Old 07-25-2005, 02:17 PM
Registered

and a bigger housing will bolt to my exhaust brake? where am i supposed to find one? how much will it cost and will this let me safely run the boost im running now? im not much on fixing things till they are broke. oh by the way, where did u get your experimental powercore bhaf hohn?
Old 07-25-2005, 02:34 PM
Chapter President

Check out HTT .....they have a great website and should answer all your questions on HX35 exhaust housing swaps and hybrid turbos.

Quick Reply: 42 lbs of boost bad on stock turbo??