Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

41 PSI & 1500* on my 12V ?!?! That doesn't sound right!

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2005, 09:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
advancing your timing will help drop EGT's, too.
Old 09-19-2005, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by MasseyMan1089
I spike my Autometer Phantom at 35lbs. Maybe I should get a higher psi one? How much was the 0-60psi Dave? Pm me...
I got the gauge from the guy I do work on the side for...he gives me at cost pricing since I work for him. This was the gauge though, not too expensive:
http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...=egnsearch.asp

Originally Posted by SHARPMACHINE
That (in the pic) is the boost fitting that comes with a torque plate "kit".

I bet you were a bit nervous when you seen that your truck could hit 1500. How many times did it go to 1500+ before the gages?????

Food for thought = most people on here suggest adjusting that fitting (their is a set screw in it that can be adjusted) in the picture so that you max out at 35 psi of boost. I don't know if this would lower your temps or not. There was a thread on here by wannadiesel (try searching "housing wastegate mod") that would drop pyro temps by 100-200 degrees.

good luck and keep us informed.
How exactly does that set screw work? I assume closed lets less air through and open lets more air through, but I'm not sure what each end is hooked to and how it works togother? I will search around on that stuff though thanks! That would be nice to drop a couple hundred degrees!

Originally Posted by CTD NUT
Dropping peak boost down to 35 psi will pick up some power, drop some egt and preserve the life of the turbo.....occasional spikes past 35 psi are fine but in this instance, that is not the case. 41 psi is too much boost for a 12cm HX35 and is counter productive to making good power.....
Yeah I thought I had read on here that this turbo maxed out at 35 PSI, so I wasn't sure how it was making more than that.

A #10 plate forward on a 215 pump will deliver lots of fuel and will probably not matter if the waste gate is actually blocked or if the boost elbow is used......the results will be the same : the turbo will overspeed and overpower the wastegate even if the boost elbow is used.
So that is what's happening now? I take it that little elbow with the set screw is the "boost elbow"?

A way to overcome this with the stock HX35 is to drill an extra hole that allows the turbo to waste gate all 6 cylinders instead of just 3.....this will be only way to control boost at this fueling level with the stock HX35.
Drill a hole where?

A better way would be to consider a 14cm exhaust housing with all 6 cylinders gated.....you'll get much more egt control and a power gain too.
How much do them go for? Hard to do?

Timing...I'll have to read up on that too.

Thanks again everyone for all your help, I'll keep you posted.
Old 09-19-2005, 12:13 PM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
You are correct about your thoughts on the boost elbow and yes, the set screw does adjust the flow of air through it but it won't do you a lot of good with the fueling level on your truck.....a #10 plate on a 215 pump will move a lot of fuel and will easily over power a wastegate that only gates 3 of the 6 cylinders.....you get to a point where 3 out of the 6 cylinders will move enough fuel to continue to to spin the turbo and build more boost while the other 3 cylinders are gated. The hole is drilled in the wastegate through the first hole that gates the first 3 cylinders.....a picture would really help explain this ....I don't have any pics but I know others here do......maybe they will post some? Look at HTT turbo for options and pricing on all the mods you can do to your HX35. They have compressor wheel mods and 14 and 16cm turbine housing mods that can be done to your HX35 to drop EGT's and and make more power.
A good rule of thumb is to advance the timing to 16*......it is a safe amount of advance that will net a power gain, drop some egt and if you can keep your foot off the floor, a mileage gain too!
Old 09-19-2005, 12:29 PM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Wannadiesel has performed this mod of gating all 6 cylinders.....he wrote : "My spare 12 cm housing that I'm trying some stuff on. The wastegate only affects the rear 3 cylinders, so I drilled down through the original wastegate port through the divider into the passage for the front 3 cylinders. I'm hoping this will allow me to get the boost under control, right now I can wire the wastegate open and still make 37 psi! The new port should (I hope) allow the wastegate to affect both ends of the engine by bleeding excess pressure from the front passage into the rear passage, and then out the wastegate. I guess I'll find out one way or another. I also bored the original port a little larger, it's now 13/16"."

I would suggest shooting him a PM for more details.....

Old 09-19-2005, 07:48 PM

I hit 43PSI going into overdrive with my current setup, wastegate was blocked but is now functional.
Waiting for it to die so I'm forced to buy a HTT..
Old 09-19-2005, 08:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You may need to step up to a 16cm housing if it's that high. I can hit 42 pounds with my 16cm housing...well I used to. I bent the shaft & ground up tome turbo internals from doing it. Yes, keep it under 35 pounds or find another turbo.
Old 11-27-2005, 12:16 AM

Thanks again for all the info...going to have to do some upgrades in the future...just take it easy for now. Here's a camera phone pic...I give my buddy with a turbo'd Honda crap because he hits a whole 5-6 lbs.