Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

4" S.S. Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2003, 08:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4" S.S. Exhaust

I'm looking for recommendations on a good 4" system - turbo back. Would like to go with Stainless Steal, but is the higher cost worth it? Thanks, Matt
Old 09-03-2003, 09:08 PM

Re:4" S.S. Exhaust

Do they salt roads where you live? If you answer yes, then heck ya it is worth the extra money! Here in Texas it is debatable.

James
Old 09-03-2003, 09:14 PM

Do they salt roads where you live? If you answer yes, then heck ya it is worth the extra money! Here in Texas it is debatable.
That's probably the biggest reason to go stainless. It looks better too, but how many times are going to crawl under the truck and look at the exhaust. Here in Texas, I don't see it being worth the extra $$. We've got a '86 Furd on the ranch with the origional exhaust, not a hole in it. If I was somewhere where they salt, I'd definatly think about stainless more. Check the "Links" section, there are companies there with exhaust systems.
Old 09-04-2003, 07:34 AM
Banned

Madoco,

I'll throw our hat in the ring, we have both aluminized and T-304 stainless steel available, and are currently working on a T-409 stainless program for those that need the corrosion protection of stainless but don't need the super corrosion protection of T-304 stainless. All of our systems are built with all welded hangers just like the OEM system, the clamps are plated, they all (even aluminized) come with a 5 inch rolled edge polished T-304 stainless steel tip. The pipes are pre cut to fit all the various bed and cab styles and the installation is extremely easy because of full welded hangers instead of the clamp on style others use. Our muffler is our Spiral Flow system, and of course we only use multi segment mandrel bending for the best flow available. For those that want loud we also have muffler delete pipes available. Check out our link here as a sponsor or go directly to www.dieselperformanceparts.com.

Mark @ DPPI
Old 09-04-2003, 08:03 AM

It was my understanding that exhaust systems rust from within, and that winter road salt has little effect on it. With hardly any water vapor involved in diesel combustion, I would think a steel exhaust system would last for many years, and that was the basis for choosing my system.
Old 09-04-2003, 10:01 AM
Chapter President

I think the exaust will rust from both sides. I know the road salt here in Michigan is hard on it.
Old 09-04-2003, 10:06 AM

I have noticed that exhaust systems will last a long time on vehicles that are driven on the road or at least long enough to get the system hot and dry out any condensation that is in or on the system. The folks that get up in the morning and drive 2-3 min then shut down will be replacing the systems much sooner. Stainless is nice, but not often necessary.
Old 09-04-2003, 06:48 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

you know , the stock exhaust system is a (i don`t know what grade) low grade stainless throughout, if you don`t believe me, try cutting it with a oxy acety torch ;D
Old 09-05-2003, 12:11 PM

Thanks for the feedback - In Connecticut, during most of the winter we have more salt and sand on the roads than snow. Sound like the SS is a better investment.

One more question - With a 4" system installed and spiral flow muffler, will the truck be much louder than with its stock system?

Thanks Again - Matt
Old 09-05-2003, 12:42 PM

[quote author=Madoco link=board=7;threadid=19192;start=0#msg181046 date=1062781868]
Thanks for the feedback - In Connecticut, during most of the winter we have more salt and sand on the roads than snow. .........[/quote]

I hear ya Matt, but after a year of being bathed in MassPike salt and calcium chloride, my aluminized system is still a nice shiny silver on the outside. The clamps are a different story. :
Old 09-05-2003, 06:29 PM
Banned

Look if your going to go for a new exhaust why not get a real one that will last? I learned along time ago that nothing, nothing beats a stainless steel system. Buy it once and forget about it. I have one on my (ford) and just put one on the dodge. I went with a HOG PERFORMANCE system, you choise the one you like. I can tell you that it was a perfect fit, everything was there, packaged nice so nothing was damaged, polished like a mirror, and everything, everything was stainless. I don't like the welded on hangers, like a stock system. I feel like i have more versitility with the clamp hangers (like if and when I go to a 16cm2 non-wastgated housing, and need to move the exhaust forward ), so the fact that someone has welded on hangers is not a plus with me. Also, maybe some people won't get under there truck and stair at the pretty exhaust, but if they do, hey there she is, shining like a star in the night. My exhaust wasn't that much more then a standard 4" after market exhaust, probally only 200 or so more. I would think that if you don't plan on keeping the truck, like if it's a lease and you won't be owning it, then go for the mild steel one. But other wise, save till you can get a good one, and keep it for life.
Old 09-06-2003, 05:05 PM
LE

I have to agree, stainless steel is the only way to go. My truck is lifted and I often find myself underneath it just gazing up at the beautiful pipes running from the turbo back. 304 grade stainless is ok, but 316 is superior in terms of wear properties and longevity. But I don't think anybody is doing anything with the 316 due to cost, and ease of working with it. I would say the extra bucks spent is well worth the money. JMO
Old 09-08-2003, 09:52 AM
Banned

Commotaze,

You're right on a gasser it will rust from the inside, mostly. The diesels won't have that problem as you stated etc. Have a good one.

Mark @ DPPI
Old 09-08-2003, 09:59 AM
Banned

Madoco,

Depends on how you're driving at any particular time. Cruising you'll find it's real close to stock, when you hammer on it you'll hear a nice deep tone growl. Otherwise it's pretty darn close to stock levels etc. Call us at 866-455-7788 if you need us.

Mark @ DPPI