Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

4 Inch Should I?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2005, 10:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 4 Inch Should I?

I know this subject has been beat to death. But I need some help here. I think I have read all the pros and cons but I am still confused. With the mods I have (don’t forgot the #10 plate that I haven’t put in yet) do you guys think I need to go with a 4 inch turbo back system? I really want to, but it’s hard to justify spending nearly $400.00 to the door for something that will not make much of a difference. My $ tree just isnt growing. How about I keep the OEM exhaust and get a muffler eliminator? I don’t really want a loud obnoxious or droning exhaust, but sometimes the little red guy on my left shoulder says go for it. The loud exhaust would be the icing on the cake, HEAR me SMELL me See me (dark cloud of smoke) Really should I save the $ for the trans or are the benifits of the 4 inch worth it?
Old 01-09-2005, 10:15 PM
Banned

you can get a 4" system from Summit for a little over $300...

4" is nice, but I would just straight pipe your stock system...
Old 01-09-2005, 10:36 PM

Before the price of steel skyrocketed. I remember some 4 inch systems were selling for under 3 Franklins and that included a nice SST tip. Yep, I have been looking for a while now. Sometimes I think I am like one of those big dumb fish you see floating in the water and you try everything to get him on the line but he just wont bite. Forrest I think your talking my language.
Old 01-09-2005, 10:39 PM
Banned

yeah, they were like $260-270... but still, $299 ain't bad for a complete system.

I would just run straight pipe from turbo to tip, but if you're worried about noise, replace your cat with a resonator off a 24v truck.

Forrest
Old 01-09-2005, 11:46 PM

If you can do a bit of welding Ive heard that you can get the pieces from NAPA and fab a 4" setup for cheap (less that a hundred bucks I believe).
Old 01-10-2005, 02:45 AM
Banned

Napa is ordering my 4" tailpipe section for me on monday. I can't wait. I've got 4" straight pipe dumped before the rear axle and it's obnoxiously loud. All I've got to say is thanks Forrest for the part #.
Old 01-10-2005, 05:38 AM

theres a company that sells them on ebay i think it is www.warpspeedperformance.com but im not sure i know there under $300

Trending Topics

Old 01-10-2005, 08:34 AM
Banned

4 Inch Exhaust

DustyRock,

Our aluminized system is just a tick over 300.00, and that gets you 100% welded hangers just like the stock system, a real diesel muffler with ceramic blanket and stainless steel packing and 4 inch mandrel bent tubing.

Granted a muffler delete will help, but the larger tubing and mandrel bending is much better, you won't feel the difference in HP but the EGT's will show it. It's just a little more than the low price systems that use none or low temp fiberglass packing material in a 5 inch muffler(that only leaves less than 1/2 inch for packing material).

Call us if you have quastions etc.

Mark @ DPPI
Old 01-10-2005, 10:11 AM
Banned

sounds like a good deal... DPPI's mufflers are much nicer than the Summit junk... I just always run without a muffler, so I don't really pay attention to them

Forrest
Old 01-10-2005, 09:07 PM

Thanks for the response guys. Tried to get on the site ASAP but had to wrestle the rain and its consequences all day.
Mark: Nice website, and good explanations on the components. Also the video is a nice plus. I like the idea of the tube for the muff instead of a piece of rolled material. Makes perfect sense. After adding the SST tip and shipping it is getting up their in $. I know if you want to play........ . But I am trying to justify this purchase. $ spent on the exhaust vs gains.

As far as using a muff delete with my stock system does it sound OK and would it lower EGTS? Just wondering if its a $ and effort down the drain or should I go for the gusto with the entire 4 inch system?

Doc, BigBlue: I have been known to pitch some sparks with the welder, I have access to a Gas Axe and a MIG. I saw a price on a downtube, as I remember it was $90 just for it. Does that sound right?
Old 01-10-2005, 11:51 PM

cant say for sure......but its likely a lot better to get a manufacturered system like DPPI's....

Have u checked pout Rips prices?

http://www.protintnw.com/sa_dodge-exh.htm

$269 for a straight pipe (no muffler)
Old 01-10-2005, 11:57 PM
Banned

ditch your cat and muffler... it'll sound sweet!

stainless tips don't add performance

a full 4" system is nice... has a deeper tone than the 3", lower EGT's, etc. but if you can get someone to straight pipe your truck for $50-60, that'd be the way I'd go at this point.

Forrest
Old 01-11-2005, 12:29 AM

Sounds like a plan. OK muff eliminator with my stock system $35 bucks or so maybe less if I can find some pipe at NAPA or our local muf shop. As I recall I need a transition from 4 to 3 inch also. And if the straight pipe is annoying to my neighbors or me or the cops I wont be out too much $. I told the wife I am going to straight pipe my truck, had to explain it, she didn’t like the idea. She will get to like it. BTW there are a couple of 7.3 PSDs around with sraight pipes they dont sound very good to me. No CTDs though, Lots of PSDs and Isuzus here.
Old 01-11-2005, 12:43 AM

Had a local muff shop do a 3" straight for $30 bucks. Went there to but a section of 6' pipe, he asked what it was for told him and said for $12 we'll put it in. Yip so I paid $12 bucks to keep my hands clean and to get it installed right there!! I liked the 3" straight but of course now, Forrest is making me put a 5" single stack on truck!!
Old 01-11-2005, 07:52 AM
Banned

DustyRock,

Getting the muffler delete won't make any measurable difference in EGT's, our muffler is a straight thru design and for all practical purposes 0 restriction. It's mostly for those that want the straight pipe sound!

Mark @ DPPI

Quick Reply: 4 Inch Should I?