Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

4" Exhaust install on Quad Shortbed

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2005, 10:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4" Exhaust install on Quad Shortbed

Man I am having a heck of a time installing my Rip Rook exhaust. The instructions are ok, but actual fit doesn't seem to follow the instructions. By the way, the kit is complete and very nice quality. Here are my problems so far:
Downpipe installed no problem, the pipe that attaches to the downpipe fits ok, but when it is mounted through the rubber support at the transmission, it doesn't fit like it should, maybe it's just me. I used the supplied hangers to hang the muffler and tried to line the pipe up to the muffler and had to force it to fit. I ended up only using 11" of the extra pipe that is cut to fit. Finally got that part together. Behind the muffler is two pipes. One goes over the axle and one exits behind the tire. This is where my major problems are. There is nothing in the instruction that say this pipe has to be cut, but it was too long. If I tried to install it without cutting it, I could not get the last piece of pipe installed because of the spare tire. I ended up cutting about 6" of the pipe where it fits in the muffler and this seemed to move it forward enough to install the last pipe. It only clears the spare tire by about 1/2". I got everything where I thought it should be and torqued down the clamps. Fired it up and it sounds great, double checked everything and then took it for a test drive. No rattles, all seemed ok. When I got back and checkde it...somehow it is now touching the spare tire. I am not sure how everything rotated out of place, but I only hope I can loosen the clamps and try again. Anyone have any tips?
Old 04-21-2005, 11:53 AM

I recently installed a mbrp 4" with good success. First sprayed all the sockets with silicone so they would twist easier to get correct fit. Pulled all the hanger mounts and hung everything finger tight. Then cut the extension to fit. Pulled everything except the down pipe which was left loose. Then worked front to back keeping everything loose intil fit and alignment was correct. buttoned everything up. Great kit and price. Got it from Kyle at Extreme Diesel Performance. Great prices and great to work with. :
Old 04-21-2005, 01:11 PM

Call Rip, he will be more than happy to assist you. I think you might should have done that to begin with..
Old 04-21-2005, 01:29 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Agree with Happy. Perhaps Rip sent the longbed kit. Or they don't have a shortbed kit and expect you to cut to fit?
Old 04-21-2005, 01:35 PM

The kit for long beds and short beds are the same. The instructions say to cut the piece in fornt of the muffler to fit your application. I did that part. However, there is nothing in the instructions about having to cut the piece that goes into the rear of the muffler. If the pipe is installed as it comes in the kit, there is no way to install the last pipe because it interfers with the spare tire. That is what confuses me. It has to be cut in order to fit. I have a call in to Rip and am awaiting his reply. Thanks for the replies, any other ideas?
Old 04-21-2005, 02:22 PM

I spoke to Rip and he said that the piece out of the muffler should be cut to fit and that after the final install you should have about 3/4" to 1" clearance to the spare tire. I will try again tonight.
Old 04-21-2005, 02:41 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds about right, mine was pretty close to the spare too.

Trending Topics

Old 04-21-2005, 03:55 PM

Glad you got it figured out. You will have the flu just like i did after you get it installed. Riding around with the passenger window down to hear the resonation off of buildings and cars..

Old 04-21-2005, 04:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
resonates off of small ricers, too! ...and their expressions are a good site in the mirror if you didn't smoke 'em too much.
Old 04-21-2005, 05:17 PM

I thought I was the only one to ride around with the pass window open!!!!
How much does this kit cost?
I'm thinkin of gettin one.
Old 04-21-2005, 10:18 PM

Well I was able to loosen the clamps and slightly rotate the pipe to get it away from the tire. I am going to run it for a while to see what happens. I started with about 1" of space but after the test drive I only had about 1/2". I think the whole system kinda rotated toward the tire. I believe 1/2" clearance will be ok.
Old 04-22-2005, 12:43 PM

I just install 4 inch on my 99. How do you guy get the down pipe in? I had to loosen some thing up to get the down pipe in.

Dan
Old 04-22-2005, 01:58 PM

Mine went in pretty easy. It was not very long so there was no interference to speak of. It connected to a straight pipe (about 5' long) that went over both frame mounts. Is yours different? My kit came from Rip Rook at Source Automotive.
Old 04-24-2005, 08:36 PM

My down pipe goes back to the back end of the skid plate. It sure was a pan to get in. If the exhaust hander of the transfer case wouldn't have been in the way. It probably would have went right in. It is a MBRP sytem. Nice system Paid 300 shipped off ebay. I believe the company is a vender from DTR. One pice tail pipe also.