Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

4 or 5" exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2004, 08:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well thanks guy for the great info. I still haven't made up my mind yet. I know in the future, I will have many more mods, but how soon, I don't know. Twins would AWESOME, but as of now, I have school to pay for. I think when I come across a good deal, either 4" or 5", I'm gonna grab at it. Either way, I'm still better off then this stock crap!!

Thanks,
Hunter
Old 07-17-2004, 12:51 PM
Banned

Hunter,

I've got a 5" City Muffler system. I think their prices have gone up, but I got it in December on ebay for $330.

at first I installed it w/ no muffler... it was PAINFUL inside the truck... at 2500rpm it literally HURT your eardrums... it was louder than the dual 5" stacks it replaced!

so then I put the muffler on it... TOO QUIET!

so then I took the muffler off and put a 12" Dynomax Bullet on the downpipe. sounded decent, but the interior resonance was still kindof a pain above 75mph.

so then I laid down two sheets of 1/8" lead sheet on the back wall of the cab and the back floor, and then one sheet on the rest of the floor and firewall... made a HUGE difference!!!

then I decided that I was gonna put stacks back on

so I took the bullet off the downpipe, and while I was dirty, I welded up all the pipe connections and added a couple fairly stiff hangers... NIGHT AND DAY!!!! the hangers and welded connections made the straight pipe resonate slightly less than it did before with the bullet on it!!! but OUTSIDE the truck it was obviously a lot louder

I like it so much that I decided to just leave it as it is and not put the stacks back on.

I don't care if I'm giving up 100rpm in spool-up and 5hp by running 5" instead of 4" it sounds wicked, when the twins go on, I won't have to buy a new system, and I paid the same or LESS for my 5" system as most guys pay for 4"!

I picked the system up from City Muffler in OKC to save on shipping. I'm up that way fairly often if you need one picked up.

Forrest
Old 07-17-2004, 12:52 PM
Banned

PS, as for outgrowing it? NEVER!!! it was way too loud without the sound deadener and extra exhaust hangers, but it's the perfect marriage now!