Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

3rd Injection Pump

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 09:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3rd Injection Pump

I am posting this ad for a friend. He bought his truck back in October 05. It is a 2001 ex cab/long bed, 4x4, 5spd, CTD. He put an edge drag comp on it along with bully dog 125hp injectors, and a FASS pusher pump. Ever since he did all of that to it, It is very hard to start. It takes forever for it to hit and run. Well, since then he has been going through injection pumps left and right. He just installed his 3rd one Friday. Now his truck still takes forever to start. He has took it to a couple of mechanics around here and the Dodge Dealer also. Nobody can figure out what is going on with it. Do any of you guys know what the deal is? Thanks

Zach
Old 05-31-2006, 09:27 AM

Start with the basics, what's the fuel pressure at? Is it steady? Is it too high?
Old 05-31-2006, 09:41 AM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like he's pushing too much pressure at start up.
Old 05-31-2006, 12:40 PM

Give us some more info of what is going on. Is he getting his pumps from a place that actually builds them, or selling them 2nd hand? Quality of VP-44's can vary. Check the fuel pressure. What is it running? While he is at the dealer, ask about a reflash to the latest DC tuning for the truck. This seems to help with hard starts with the FASS. DOUBLE check the FASS install. Its real easy to say it on right, but just slowly go over and double check everything to see if you got it 100%. If you need install instructions, i have them on here. Running a comp without gauges is asking for trouble....you dont know if you have an issue or not.

Give us some more info and we will see what we can do to help you out.......also do a search for "hard starts"....i have covered this issue many times on this site just in the last month or so and give some options to fix it.

Also to note: My 2001 truck would bust right off when i had it at 23 PSI...never missed a beat...these hard starts......its a hit and miss thing......
Old 05-31-2006, 03:57 PM

He said the pumps are brand new, not rebuilt, but yes he is buying them through a performance shop and the dealer installs them. He has all the gauges but a FP gauge. So, I can't say what his FP is. I can try and find out what brand or where the shop is getting them.
Old 05-31-2006, 04:00 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 01smoker
He said the pumps are brand new, not rebuilt, but yes he is buying them through a performance shop and the dealer installs them. He has all the gauges but a FP gauge. So, I can't say what his FP is. I can try and find out what brand or where the shop is getting them.
I would think he should consider having no gauges OTHER than a FP. That's a lot of dough for IP's..........
Old 05-31-2006, 04:04 PM

Some times i hear of these "Brand New" IP coming from wrecked train cars and such.......maybe nothing wrong with them....but wnty is sure hard to get honored. I also feel that a NEW VP-44 is going to be a thing of the past since Bosh is no longer making them.....no need now that every one is going HPCR. Some things to think about......
Old 05-31-2006, 04:04 PM

Not having a FP gauge only cost me $1200. Chances are it's cost him over 3x's that much.
Old 05-31-2006, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by yarddog
Not having a FP gauge only cost me $1200. Chances are it's cost him over 3x's that much.

Would that be 3x3 or 3x5.....or which ever one smoked more?
Old 05-31-2006, 04:13 PM

The shop he bought all of this stuff from told him that he didn't really need one because the FASS would give plenty of FP. But I agree with you guys that he needs one. But do you really think that he doesn't have enough FP with the FASS?
Old 05-31-2006, 04:18 PM

All you can do is guess without a gauge. It's only $65 or so to scab together an in cab mechanical diprocol.

And there is no such thing as new VP's. The dealer is probably installing CZ remans which are total crap. They put one in my truck under warranty and it lasted 7000 miles

He needs to get a good one from industrial injection or some reputable VP rebuilder and quit messing with the dealer. The dealer is only good for two things, warranty work and over charging.
Old 05-31-2006, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Diesel_Dan
Would that be 3x3 or 3x5.....or which ever one smoked more?
I should have said 5x5 cost him 3x1 as much
Old 05-31-2006, 04:39 PM

The shop he bought all of this stuff from told him that he didn't really need one because the FASS would give plenty of FP. But I agree with you guys that he needs one. But do you really think that he doesn't have enough FP with the FASS?

Let me put it to you this way.......i have a FP gauge on my personal truck with a FASS.............i know i am getting a consistent 16-17 PSI all the time.......

There are too many "What If" situations out there to compromise the reliability of the FASS/HPFP to throw caution to the wind.......Run a gauge and watch how reliable your FASS is…..don’t guess at it.

I knew a guy that was driving through a hay field back in Texas and got some bailing wire tangled on his drive shaft.....it got a hold of the FASS wiring harness and ripped it plum out of the truck....well around the drive shaft.....he didn’t have a gauge....lucky the wire cut the fuel line as well and killed the truck......or he would have never known about the pressure.....he told me the truck died and didn’t know why...i had to pick it up out of the field......of coarse he was one of the biggest hay seeds i have ever met in my life!
Old 05-31-2006, 08:45 PM
Registered

too much presure will make it hard to start, but too much presure want take out the vp44. too little presure will take out the pump and bad injectors will make it hard to start, In short get a gauge and see whats going on
Old 05-31-2006, 09:28 PM

Have him get a FP gauge and an Hot Rod VP-44

Quick Reply: 3rd Injection Pump