Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

3rd gen oil cooled pistons.

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2005, 09:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 3rd gen oil cooled pistons.

Just got to thinking. the 3rd gens have the oil cooled pistons do they not? Could you use a 3rd gen long block with a P-pump and a 12v head? or even a 24v head? Is the strength of a 3rd gen block equal, greater, less, than that of the 12v and 2nd gen 24v's block? I figure I'm going to have to eventually put another block in mine, #6 though honed out as best I could still has some scores at the bottom of the cylinder from the piston exploding, they're below the rings at BDC so I didn't worry about it too much when I put the motor back together, the techs at Cummins said it shouldn't cause a problem as long as there weren't and protrusions or rough edges to catch the piston skirt. But for peace of mind I'd like to just get a fresh motor. Compression was good when she was back together and #6 wasn't any lower than the rest, nor was it even the lowest. But like I said, I'm kindof **** about internal engine parts being perfect, call me weird lol. So would a 3rd gen block and rotating assembly work for a mechanical motor, would the heads mount up? The timing gears and case for the P-pump? I've heard they're quite a bit quieter too. What about my marine pistons, would they still work with the oil spray and the 3rd gen rotating assembly. Never messed with a 3rd gen, and maybe this thread would be better suited to the 3rd gen forum but haven't heard of anyone P-pumping a 3rd gen yet, but who knows? Help me out here guys! I call upon your infinate wisdom!
Old 10-24-2005, 09:29 PM

AFTERTHOUGHT: Oh and the marine cam? Are the cam bearings spaced the same as the older blocks?
Old 10-24-2005, 09:42 PM

thats a really good idea but sounds like a lot of work. i do know that the 3rd gens blocks do not apear to be as stong as the earlier blocks. and i think they drive the cam and pump off the back fo the motor. i am not sure on that part. i do know that the heads bolt the same. the pistons are really nice pieces out of the 3rd gens. so in my oppinion i would go with a 24valve block and head and then p-pump it. another thought to save yourself some cash is the pistons out or 1992 blocks have the good crown on top of the piston. i have a 1992 block and pistons with a 1994 12v head and a p pump off of some industial truck.just my 2 cents. dont know if i helped. lets get someother guys oppions on this one.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:46 PM

well I already have the marine pistons, and for the $$$ they were I'd rather keep them than switch to something else lol. But I think you're right, now that you said that I believe the pump is driven off the back of the motor. Wonder if you can mount a p-pump backwards lol. That be some serious custom machining
Old 10-24-2005, 09:57 PM

What about just using the pistons? I hear about people running well over 1400* pre-turbo all the time with no effects on the pistons. Are they made out of a better grade of aluminum, or is an aluminum alloy? Or is this because of the oil cooling? I know I can get my hands on some 3rd gen pistons. Just curious if they will work or not.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by SmokinFive9 4x4
Just got to thinking. the 3rd gens have the oil cooled pistons do they not? Could you use a 3rd gen long block with a P-pump and a 12v head? or even a 24v head? Is the strength of a 3rd gen block equal, greater, less, than that of the 12v and 2nd gen 24v's block? I figure I'm going to have to eventually put another block in mine, #6 though honed out as best I could still has some scores at the bottom of the cylinder from the piston exploding, they're below the rings at BDC so I didn't worry about it too much when I put the motor back together, the techs at Cummins said it shouldn't cause a problem as long as there weren't and protrusions or rough edges to catch the piston skirt. But for peace of mind I'd like to just get a fresh motor. Compression was good when she was back together and #6 wasn't any lower than the rest, nor was it even the lowest. But like I said, I'm kindof **** about internal engine parts being perfect, call me weird lol. So would a 3rd gen block and rotating assembly work for a mechanical motor, would the heads mount up? The timing gears and case for the P-pump? I've heard they're quite a bit quieter too. What about my marine pistons, would they still work with the oil spray and the 3rd gen rotating assembly. Never messed with a 3rd gen, and maybe this thread would be better suited to the 3rd gen forum but haven't heard of anyone P-pumping a 3rd gen yet, but who knows? Help me out here guys! I call upon your infinate wisdom!
Well to start with if you have the rear gear train marine block it is the same as the dodge block , it just has the gear on the other end with a diffrent crank and cam.the normal crank out of your 12 or 24v engine will go into it and so will the cam, you can use either head 12 or 24v , but if you have the 24v marine pistons and want to use them go ahead they will take more temp but they are a little heavier than the others. Now to the good part the front gear housen for a p-pump will fit but you will have to drill if I can remember one hole into the block to bolt it on (no big deal just lay it up there and match them up). The oil pan you will have to combine the two styles cause the front where it bolts to the gear housen is diffrent the the new style pan.Any more questions just ask , Chris
Old 10-24-2005, 11:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
3rd Gen Block Strength

The common rail blocks use a modern casting technique that eliminates the tappet cover on the side of the block. The new block is stronger and transfers less engine noise or so a Cummins engineer told me in 2002, just after they received their first production blocks.
Old 10-25-2005, 06:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe I'm not following you needs here but all the 6BTmotors and 4 BT's have oil cooled pistons.
Old 10-25-2005, 11:08 PM

Maybe I'm not following you needs here but all the 6BTmotors and 4 BT's have oil cooled pistons
Do they? I thought only the 3rd gens did. To be honest when I rebuilt the motor I never paid any attention to that. Or at least don't remember seeing it. Ok, well, seems like it might be an awful lot of work,,,to just have a quieter motor then *shrugs*
At least I know it can be done now though. On to my next brainstorm idea lol.
Old 10-26-2005, 02:50 AM

All B's have oil cooled pistons.
The difference is that that 03HO and later 3rd gens have "J jet" nozzles that actually spray oil into a chamber inside of the piston to cool it off.

Older B's have saddle jet/piston cooling nozzles that are located under the top main bearings and spray oil into the cylinder and piston, rod.

As far as P-pump on a 3rd gen.
Its already been done; Ted Sterner of Powerhouse Diesel in Ohio has one in his 03 Pulling truck.
Runs good too!

On the subject of blocks:
Yeah, the 3rd gen blocks are stronger in many ways.
Also, they are accompanied by a block girdle that is mounted on the oil pan rail of the block that helps alot with integrity.
Old 10-26-2005, 10:04 AM

Thanks for clearin that up Pourin, don't know how I missed that, but hey. Where's powerhouse diesel at? I've heard the name, but never knew they were in Ohio.