Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

3k GSK, and timing questions for 94 auto.

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2004, 07:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks guys! Im all ready to order it, and tried tonight to order it, but for some stupid reason tst's online catalog wont come up . Ill see what i can do though.

Eric
Old 09-18-2004, 11:33 PM

Looks like they were updating there site, so tomorrow i will order one. I will keep you guys updated on it. I cant wait to get it, and put it in . Im sure it will be a whole different truck seeing as it might rev some now . Right now i can only get about 2900 rpm's on the floor in park, and like 2300-2400 in drive. I hope to be able to get 2800-2900 in drive when i get this in, and i hope i can get a lot closer to 10's in the 1/8th when i get the GSK in, and do a 4wd launch. My best of 10.769 was done launching in 2wd at about 1lb of boost to keep from spinning tires to bad, and i was running out of rpm's in 3rd gear something awful at the end of the 1/8th(like it was falling on its face, and it wouldnt shift to 4th till i was done racing), so now im hoping it will accelerate hard all the way through the 1/8th. I would at least like to be able to get a fairly low 10 second pass. Im excited. Thanks for the help guys. Ill post again tomorrow.

Eric
Old 09-19-2004, 07:02 PM

Just got done ordering my GSK guys! Not sure when it will get here, but ill keep you posted on it .

Eric
Old 09-22-2004, 04:16 PM

Well, i now have a 3K GSK laying on my kitchen table, waiting for me to hopefully put it in Friday night after school. But, i still dont know which way i should go in from. Do you guys think its easier to go in from the side or top? I kind of wouldnt mind going in from the side, but it looks like theres not a lot of room, but its easier to drop stuff from the top, and i dont want to drop anything if i can keep from it. Also, the spring retainer things that come with the kit. They go in on the bottom, and you put the stock ones that came off the top, back on the top, right? I gues the top ones are threaded right, so you really cant mix them up? I just want to be clear about this before i dig in. Im ready to get them in, and see what ive got . So, I should just set them at the factory clearence right? Thanks for all the help guys! I told you i wouldnt abandon this thread. I cant wait to get them in!

Eric
Old 09-23-2004, 04:08 PM

Its about time! You'll love the difference I put them in from the side and it was a snap, but DO NOT lose the key for the fuel shutoff solenoid! It isn't easy to do, I was just careless. The biggest thing is to take your time and don't rush anything. I couldn't get the plug out without removing some shutoff solenoid linkage taken off. It looks like there isn't a lot of room, but there is more than enough. Have fun
Old 09-23-2004, 04:35 PM

i have put 3 in, all from the top. it is really not that hard to do but get a good strong magnet it you try it from the top.
i also wash off the top retainer[with brake clean] and the nut and take a permanant marker and draw a witness line from the center out towards the drivers seat. when you unscrew it it is easy to get it back to the stock location. just make sure you put the retainer back in the right direction, it can't spin. it is sloted to the top of the stud. this makes getting the stud dimension easy
Old 09-24-2004, 03:13 PM

Thanks guys! Im headed out to put it in right now(decided ill go through the side). Wish me luck! Ill report back later tonight with how the test drive went if i get it in( i should).

Eric
Old 09-24-2004, 10:30 PM

Well, i put in the s GSK, and didnt really have much problem. The idle was pretty high when i fired it, so i adjusted that; but i have a couple of problems. I was doing the test drive, and i thought man, this is great, but then when i took off, and used my torque converter lockup switch, it just killed it, where it would have normally been coming on hard. You dont notice it at all except when the torque converter locks up. And in overdrive, its a complete DOG compared to how it used to be. Also, it doesent start near as good as it did, so i need some help. If i cant get all my low-end back, then that GSK is coming out, because even though i like it bieng able to rev so much better, its not worth it for how much low end i lost. It still smokes quite a bit, and has good, boost, so i dont know. Ill have to mess with it tomorrow. Any help is very much appreciated.

Eric
Old 09-25-2004, 02:42 AM

I think the culprit could be your present fuel plate. See, where your plate starts to really add fuel, say 1500 RPMs, the GSK will make that into about 1900 or so RPMs. The governor arm still travels that same path up the fuel plate, only it has to pack 3000 RPMs into its travel instead of say 2600. It's kinda hard to explain. What I would do is try adjusting the governor arm upwards a bit, so the fuel comes on earlier, hopefully that will clear up your problem and you can take advantage of low end and turn the Rs you want to. Check out Pier's website, click on tech facts and it shows you how to adjust it.
Old 09-25-2004, 08:41 AM

Thats not exactly what i wanted to hear, but i guess ill do some researching and see what i can do about getting some low end back. Any ideas why it is taking longer to start? Thanks

Eric
Old 09-25-2004, 10:35 AM

Did you shove your AFC housing forward? My 3000GSK on a 94 ato works great. However, I do have a plate.

Make sure the star wheel is adjusted also.
Old 09-25-2004, 10:38 AM

yes, the AFC housing is all the way forward i think. Its been like that ever since ive had it, and the starwheel is all the way to the motor. I have a fuel plate too. I drove it some more today, and played with the TPS some, and its better, but man i just love how much more drivable it is without having to lock the torque converter. It will drop down a gear, and scream now .I would like to get it starting right again though.

Eric
Old 09-26-2004, 10:54 AM

If your idle is set too low, that'll cause you to have to use the pedal to start it. That's the way mine is right now, gotta bump it up some.
Old 09-26-2004, 10:01 PM

Yeah, im gonna try adjusting my idle up just a hair to see if that helps that, and then i might get into my fuel plate sometime and move it forward some, and maybe adjust that arm. Do you think it would help to move my fuel plate all the way forward? <aybe i need to cut it to a 0 plate .

Eric
Old 10-27-2004, 07:27 AM

I would rather bring a good post back up than start a new one. That being said, I installed a set of 3 gsk springs in my friends 94 manual truck last night, sent him out for a rest drive, and could only see a big ace on his face as he came back!! I think he is hooked! It was my second install and all went well, his idle was evan good.

Just more confidence for someone concidering this mod, it's gggrreeeaattt!!!

Quick Reply: 3k GSK, and timing questions for 94 auto.