Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

3k GSK, and timing questions for 94 auto.

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2004, 10:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks a lot Neverenufhp! That link has really put my mind at ease for when i go to order/install these. The link was VERY helpful. I will try to order some before to long, but you guys will just have to bear with me . Is it very hard to see the side of the pump after you get the shutoff solenoid off, so that you can work with it? I have been into the top of a pump before, but think i might try to go in from the side, because it doesent look to hard to do either. Anywy; thanks for all the help.

Eric
Old 09-15-2004, 07:02 AM

Questions about the install?

I started putting in my 3 gsk last night, got late so I went in the house and started reading over some info. that I had about the install. My stock springs were both set at about .065" bellow the stud. I was reading the relentless diesel instructions and seen were they suggest .030"-.040" stud protrusion on automatic trucks.

1) How do you people with experiance feel about this?

2) Should I set them the same as the factory springs or back down to the .030"-.040" amount?

3) Relentless explains that the reason is to get a stumble away from the stall range of the torque converter, so would it be the same for a stock and a low stall coverter (like I plan on installing soon)?

4) Does a reduction in the protrusion (fewer clicks in) move the stumble up or down in the RPM range?

I realy like the Relentless instruction (thanks Relentless)

Thank-You in advance for your help everyone! I am soooo excited!!
Old 09-15-2004, 10:59 AM

Someone please help so that I can wrap this up tonight..

thankyouverymuchinadvance
Old 09-15-2004, 03:15 PM

I would help, but i havent ordered mine yet , and i dont know a lot about the install yet. I would say that if the instructions say to set it at .030-.040, i would just do that, because they designed the product, so they should know. I would say just follow the directions, and see what you get out of it. Let me know how it is when you get the GSK in .

Eric
Old 09-15-2004, 04:18 PM

cd635,

piers says to set them where the factory was, but relentless says to set them at .03"-.04", thats my confusion? thank-you though..
Old 09-15-2004, 08:39 PM

Set them where the stock ones were. Any adjustment can be made with the idle screw after the fact. Have fun on the test drive!!!
Old 09-16-2004, 06:46 AM

Well guys, thank-you for the replies, when I got home I decided to go 1 click out from the factory settings. This put my springs at about .050". Put the truck back togethor, and WOW, what a differance!! It is like a new truck and tranny have been installed. My truck used to "jump" to 2100 rpm and then "waight" for the torque converter to catch up before each shift, now it hits 25-2600 rpm and bangs gears like it should. I noticed that the idle might be a little low, but will adjust that before winter if I still think that it is. With the O.D. turned off the truck pulled right up to about 75mph at 2800 rpms and felt like it may have been starting to defuel, but that is fine, this new to me 700 rpm is close to doubling my old power band, and the truck is way better to drive. I'll work on getting more latter haha. I am all I told the wife last night "I have never owned anything that responded to mods like this truck". Their is still more to do - but its worth it when you FEEL the differance as you go.

Thank-you D.T.R.
Old 09-16-2004, 03:39 PM

O.K. I was thinking about getting wheels for my truck; but now i know that i have to get a GSK first. Everyone who has one absolutley loves them, so i think ill order one as soon as i can .
Did you go in through the top, or the side of the pump? Also, did your tranny use to hang the 3-4 shift bad, and if it did, does it shift better now? My tranny always wanbts to hang the 3-4 shift pretty bad, and it winds about as high as it will go(maybe 2400rpm) in 3rd before it shifts to 4th if im kicking on it. I was hoping it would rev fast enough, high enough with a gsk to shift to 4th pretty quick if i wanted it to now. Now you have me all fired up. I might see what i can do about ordering one tonight . It is definatley amazing how good diesels respond to mods. You can buy a new gas truck, and go through the troiuble of putting a chip on it(maybe 5-10hp ), and an air filter, and throttle body spacer, and gain MAYBE 30hp or so. Throw a fuel plate in a 12 valve, and you have gained yourself about 100hp at the rear wheels , and they aint slow by no means! Boy im kin to has a 3/4 ton 4x4 ext cab, shortbed chevy with a hypertech programmer, and a K&N cold air intake, and i can hang right with him in the 1/8th, and i run out of rpm's bad at the end of the 1/8th but when i get a GSK in it, id say ill be able to put the hurt on him then . Ill let you guys know if i order one

Eric
Old 09-16-2004, 07:34 PM

I put it in before my GB tranny, and you can't notice the haning up on the shifts as much (at least thats what I think I remember ) Either way, you gotta get one. Hey Sharpmachine..... I told you so!
Old 09-17-2004, 06:52 AM

CD635,

Forget about the wheels, let everyone see your tailgate after you install the 3gsk. Their is no shift hang-ups with this mod, and mine used to hang a little on 1-2, to much on the 2-3, and forever on the 3-4, now it is bang,bang,bang and your haulin the mail like you've gone postal.

CRIMEDOG,

Yes you did, and you were right. Now I need to get my GB t/c and valve body installed so that I can slide my #10 plate forward!!

thanks everyone
Old 09-17-2004, 05:39 PM

I've got a '95 auto and installed my GSK from the side. It's tougher to drop something inside the pump when you go in from the side. Don't be afraid to remove the shutdown lever linkage. The shaft is keyed so it can only be installed in one spot. If you don't remove that arm, it's nearly impossible to get the cap back on.

The GSK is an excellent mod. Do it as soon as you can afford it.
Old 09-17-2004, 06:03 PM

You guys have got me all fired up now. I need to order mine ASAP!

Eric
Old 09-18-2004, 12:04 AM

Originally posted by AWray
It's tougher to drop something inside the pump when you go in from the side. Don't be afraid to remove the shutdown lever linkage. The shaft is keyed so it can only be installed in one spot. If you don't remove that arm, it's nearly impossible to get the cap back on.
Good point, you can't drop anything in from the side. As far as the fuel shutdown solenoid, be sure to NOT LOOSE THE KEY! I was so excited about getting mine in, I didn't even look for a key and lost it, put it back on without one and then I couldn't shut my truck off because it was out of alignment Just used a ground down piece of washer, works good now. Just a little heads up.
Old 09-18-2004, 04:03 PM

You can loosen that 8mm nut up and slide the shut down arm about half way off and it will be out of the way and there won't be any fear of loosing the key, if the arm is in the way it can be a major pain to get the cap back on as stated above.

Once you have the springs installed, if you need to make an adjustment to them you can pull the plate out (no punt intended) and do it that way for minor adjustments......easier.

BOTW, I've dropped most everything in a pump.....no big deal to fish it out!

Jim
Old 09-18-2004, 06:44 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Here's instructions straight from 'da man'
http://www.piersdiesel.com/TechGSK12V.htm

Quick Reply: 3k GSK, and timing questions for 94 auto.