Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

3k GSK, and timing questions for 94 auto.

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2004, 09:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3k GSK, and timing questions for 94 auto.

I have a 94 automatic 4x4 cummins(see sig for mods), and i am very tempted to install a 3k GSK, and maybe bump the timing some. I have a few questions though. Where do the 3k GSK kits go in at? How hard is it to install them? How high of an rpm should my truck pull to in Drive if i mash it with the 3k gsk? It only goes to 2400rpm now. I was thinking if it would rev to 3k rpm, that it would have a decent little bit more pep to it. How much do you think it would help performance? Now about timing. It hasnt been timed that i know of, and has 160,000 miles. A previous owner might have had it done, but i dont know. I was thinking of advancing the timing to help it out some too. WHat would be a good safe setting to advance it to? Any instructions that i could look at would also help. Will timing help it run better/peppier? I just figured that for $125 that a 3k gsk might help it quite a bit, and was wondering what you guys opinions are on this. Thanks for any help.

Eric
Old 05-31-2004, 07:39 AM

You will love the 3000GSK! Also, the extra RPM will help your auto live longer since you will be able to pull faster and use third gear locked rather than OD.
Old 05-31-2004, 08:04 AM

Yup springs would be good
Timing , plate and a few adjustments.

Oh wait I think I've said this before.

Give me a call and we'll talk.

You know how to contact me.

: Eddie :
Old 05-31-2004, 05:53 PM

Thanks Eddie. I replied to you on the kydtr.

Smokee: Did the 3k GSK make your truck much faster, since its spinning so much faster? What will it pull to in Drive(rpm's), if you mash the pedal?

Thanks for the help guys.

Eric
Old 05-31-2004, 09:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can easily hit 3000 RPM in 3rd gear. I haven't tried it in OD lockup. I have had it up to over 100 mph and it was still climbing. Piers told me 12V's are good for about 3450 RPM before you start floating the valves. You'll like the 3K kit. The first time you mash it you'll be saying HOLY #^$$#%^*!!

I put mine in from the side. Some guys do it from the top taking the plate out. Both have their advantages. As far as timing, 15.5 or 16 will still let it start good and give you a nice responsive throttle.
Old 06-01-2004, 07:37 AM

Eric, I have never had the nerve to mash it to top speed in OD with the GSK...way too fast for me in a dually.

In 3rd locked, the truck will run about 90 and push me back when I shift lock to lock into 4th. That's about when I quit.

On a dyno, the top speed with a dirty filter and winter fuel was 127.
Old 06-01-2004, 08:27 AM

Yeah; i dont plan on running down the road in 4th with the converter locked at 3200rpm or anything. I just wanted to know what it would rev to in the other gears with the converter unlocked. Do any of you know of a link with instructions on how to install them? What does the 3k GSK consist of? Is it a few springs, or what? Thanks for all the help. I guess all thats left to do now, is order some, and put them in. Thanks again. Ill keep you guys updated.

Eric
Old 06-01-2004, 12:20 PM

Spring Kit

Originally posted by cumminsdriver635
Yeah; i dont plan on running down the road in 4th with the converter locked at 3200rpm or anything. I just wanted to know what it would rev to in the other gears with the converter unlocked. Do any of you know of a link with instructions on how to install them? What does the 3k GSK consist of? Is it a few springs, or what? Thanks for all the help. I guess all thats left to do now, is order some, and put them in. Thanks again. Ill keep you guys updated.

Eric
Eric:

The 3K GSK consists of 4 springs, 2 for each side of the governor shaft. You retain the outer spring and replace the inner two springs. I could not find a link on this procedure.

If going in from the top, (I can't imagine going in from the side as there appears to be little room to work) remove air inlet from top of motor, remove AFC housing, remove plate and you will see the governor arms. Bar engine over until spring is in a vertical position, measure the depth of the seating nut on the shaft with a caliper, remove seating nut (it has "click" indicators meaning that the nut will seat in recesses when it is removed or re-installed), and then remove the 3 springs and any shim if there is one. It helps to have a magnet or two on a movable shaft when doing this to retrieve parts that may fall down into the pump.

When installing the replacement springs, smallest one goes in first, followed by the second replacement and then the outer spring that you reuse. Any shims that you remove are not reinstalled. Adjust seating nut to same depth as original. Replace plate, AFC housing, air intake and fire her up. You may have to adjust the idle - We did not have to on my truck or my buddy's.

This will probably take you a couple of hours the first time you do it, but if you do more than one the time will come down considerably on the second and successive installation. Hope this helps.

If I have missed anything, other members please chime in.

John (DH)
Old 06-01-2004, 06:38 PM
Muted User

The 3K GSK and #10 plate have got to be the to best improvements I have made on my truck. If you're going to do one, do the other. It's definitely worth it.
Old 06-01-2004, 10:01 PM

When I did mine through the side, everything went great until I had to put the plug back in. It took as long to get the plug started straight as it did to change the springs. My kit from Piers came with some good instructions. You can make a tool for removing the retainers out of a screwdriver type tack puller by filing the slot bigger. I used a thin 5/16" open end wrench to get into the slots. Some guys count the clicks when taking the retainers out and put them back the same # of clicks. I measured mine from the retainers to the top of the stud that the retainers screw on to. The measurements were a bit different for each set of springs. Either method will work. The springs may feel a bit loose but as long as you've put the retainers back to the same position it will be fine. I never had to adjust the idle either.
Old 06-01-2004, 10:19 PM

Well, i have about a #5 plate in it, and i dont want to spend the extra $ to get a #10, so ill leave it how it is. I have been into a pump, just messing with a plate 3 or 4 times, so that should help. Can pieces that have been dropped into the pump, be retrieved fairly easily with a magnet? I mean; i wouldnt have to take the whole pump apart or anything would I? As long as dad will let me order the kit, I will. Since my tranny wont hold the power I have, i figured id stay away from injectors and things, and do this until i get a better TC to hold the power. I just figured if the motor would turn another 6-800 rpm's, that it would really help the auto since it would be pumping the fluid a lot faster. How good do you guys think my #5(close to anyway) plate will work with the 3k gsk compared to a 10?Thanks a lot for all the help guys. This has been very helpful.

Eric
Old 06-02-2004, 07:04 AM

Originally posted by cumminsdriver635
Can pieces that have been dropped into the pump, be retrieved fairly easily with a magnet? I mean; i wouldnt have to take the whole pump apart or anything would I?
Eric
Eric:

Just take your time, and if you happen to drop a piece in the pump be prepared to spend a little time "fishing" with a long slender magnet. Any dropped parts will go go down about 6 to 8 inches in the pump but can be retrieved. Be sure to note what you take out - one piece at a time, in case you drop something you know what you are fishing for. A good light also helps. One of the slender lights on a flexible mount would be really good to see what is going on in there during disassembly and re-assembly.

I have a #10 plate so I cannot comment on the difference except to say it is nice to keep fueling over 2K RPM and seems to have "woke" the truck up a little more.

John (DH)
Old 06-02-2004, 09:58 PM

Thanks for the input everyone. I really appreciate it.

Eric
Old 06-17-2004, 04:14 PM

Well, i havent done anything yet guys, but i havent deserted this thread yet either. I just havent ordered the GSK yet, but will try to at least sometime within the next month. I need to get my tranny leaking sorted out first. I will let you guys know when i order it.

Eric
Old 06-20-2004, 08:24 PM

www.flex.net/~triplem/new/govspring.htm

I knew I had this link somewhere. GSK(3 or 4k) makes it so much more driveable!

Quick Reply: 3k GSK, and timing questions for 94 auto.