Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

370 Marine injectors and delivery valves?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2005, 12:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CTD NUT
Ok guys, there are different versions of 370's out there that have different spray patterns.....the somewhat common marine 370 has a very poor spray pattern for our application and is smokey and an egt monster - but it does make huge power.....not the best choice for a tow rig or daily driver. I got 370's from a shop that I believe is a Piers dealer.....they are a honed version that is supposed to have an altered spray pattern.....does it? I couldn't say for sure but it doesn't smoke like some of these other 370's I have seen and I don't have that pronounced haze at idle. I have towed in the past with these 370's without attracting unwanted attention and covering the trailer in soot but egt was an issue but this was more a function of the turbo (or lack there of ).....I'm not about to blame high egt's on injectors when the appropriate turbo was not used. Smoke on these injector can be controlled with a valet switch and a light foot but I can only say that of the 370's I have....clearly, some 370's will not perform this way. 370's have the ability to make a ton of power and need to be treated as such.....they are a hotrod injector and will not be for everyone. Anyone looking for a mild set up for a good tow vehicle and are not looking to step up to a bigger turbo should be looking elsewhere for an injector, IMO.
This subject has been beat to death . Do a search on 370s. When I installed my 370s I have never regretted the upgrade. Maybe I got lucky with the ones I got. The power increase was dramatic, the smoke level is not an issue. They will not block out the sun. Just get the dang injectors and try them. You will not be disapointed. If you want the source of my injectors PM me. (I got them on EBAY) a long time ago.

Dusty
Old 09-27-2005, 03:17 AM

There are other options, (a local shop here in Western Wa sells 12v injectors that will make just as much power (I am told) as 370s yet be far more driveable with far far less smoke.

Problem is, they are much much more expensive than 370s.. I'm saving my coin for a set though.

I'd post their URL but I'm not sure if thats allowed considering they are not an advertiser.
Old 09-27-2005, 07:07 AM

Settings

We have played with the settings. I have the 370s, hx35-14wg,4k gov kit, afc med spring..O-ringed head/studs...

Yes if your full forward, it is basically undriveable(smoke and egts!)

We found that say your 10% back of 1/2 way on the plate, it makes it driveable. IF the afc is set up so that you get max travel, so that when you have the need for go while you have the boost...it will smoke some but will try to be controlled by turbo activity..these settings allows control..I can hit 40lbs, and my egts go glowing..EVEN with water injection(I see little if any change in my egts)Normal driving, boost is <18. Towing 20 to 30lbs and you just make sure the egts are limited..

I'm ready for twins! I'm a firm believer in; if theres smoke its not too much fuel, its not enough air!

I want to put in a fuel cut out soluenoid(sp) going from afc to the turbo. Use this as a valet control. I think??would limit it to around 12-18lbs boost?

I had some 300s, maybe they were old or somethng, but THEY SMOKED much more than the 370s that I have now. The 300s smoked all the time, under a wide range of throttle position. The 370s, under the same settings, smoke more at full throttle, but was controllable by foot. Mileage came up about 1 1/2mpg with the 370s?
Old 09-27-2005, 07:48 PM

I've got a 100 plate full forward, 370s, star wheel cranked, and the timming adjusted quite high. Under normal drving I don't have any problems at all. I can get up to about 35psi no problem and not get anything but a haze out the back. Now IF I want to put it to the floor it's a different story. I have layed into it from a rolling start and hit 1600egts and 42psi+ in about 8 secs, you wouldn't want to see the smoke it put off either. But I am still limited by the stock turbo, twins are in the works though. Like said previously you could control a set of 370s by keeping the plate pulled back and turning the afc wheel back down. But why would you want to do that? If your buying the 370s you want them for the power increase right?
If you wanted to be very slick you would talk to someone who makes edms like Don M, he could make you a sweet set of sticks that would flow like crazy and still keep the smoke down.
Old 10-08-2005, 02:11 AM

umm ive been reading this...so what kinda delivery valves do I have for example? did i read 131's??....has anyone ever seen those 190hp motors from the big fords? are they then running 191's? since a 180hp motor is running 181's?
Old 10-11-2005, 07:35 AM

you have the small dv's the 96-98 have 181's, as far as 190hp ford engine i'd guess 181's. my truck has a 215hp pump and came with 181's. by the way guys 370's and laser cut dv's are very streetable i have little to no smoke while cruising around, but as far as efficient unless you have a bigger turbo you can't get the full potential of the dv's and just wasting your money.
Old 10-11-2005, 07:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I hope you guys are right-I should have my set of 370's at home by the weekend!!
Old 10-11-2005, 08:59 AM

From everything I understand about the honing process, the spray pattern does not change. The spray into the bowl has better atomization, that is when you up the pop off pressure, and a smoother flow, but the pattern will always be the same. To change the pattern you will have to change the tips. Heck, just change the pistons and be done with it.

..PT..
Old 10-11-2005, 09:13 AM

I'm with CTD all the way in how it depends on where you get your injectors. I got mine from PDR and I don't know how many times I read about the haze at idle........but every time I've looked, I've never seen mine haze at idle. My #100 plate is full forward, as is my afc, and I've towed my camper with no problems, but it only weighs about 6k. I've towed up to probably 10k and never seen any soot build up on anything I've pulled, even when blowing heavy black. I will say that I haven't pulled cross country though, just 5 hours or so one way.......and I'm referring to the 370's with the stock turbo. I logged probably 25K miles with that setup. EGT's were always a function of my right foot, and smoke was a function of lugging or too much right foot as well. Anyway, like I said, my experiences are with PDR 370's and from all the different opinions I've read, some 370's make it difficult to control smoke and EGT's, but not mine. Just my experience and opinion.

Waylan
Old 10-11-2005, 04:49 PM

I have the 370 marine injectors in my 97 speed. They do make it smoke if you lug it, or tromp it, can't see behind me. I get hae when i idle, and run 600 on egts when normal driving. To tow they are the best.

1997 dodge

gasket & seal kit
Governor spring kit, 4K RPM
Delivery vlaves
valve springs, 60# heavy duty
vavlve spring retainers, titanium & 10 degree keepers
R&R valve springs
Retorque head
spring throttle
370 marine injectors
5sp tranny
duel disc ceramic clutch

ALL DONE AT HAISLEYS

AFE AIR FILTER
between a 300 and 400 s turbo (daves diesel said that)
Old 10-11-2005, 07:29 PM

FWIW - I had two different sets of PDR 370s in my truck. Both hazed at idle.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:47 PM

i do not believe that it is where you get your injectors from that makes the difference, i belive it is where your timing is set that makes the difference. i bought my injectors off ebay when i installed them they crackled and popped like crazy until i had my timing advanced now they are completely smooth all the way to 4500rpm. they do not haze at idle and my egts arn't that bad i think the laser cut dv's actually brought my egts down i cruise at about 600*
Old 10-12-2005, 07:07 AM

haha, mine has a haze at idle but I have stock injectors still. my timing must be really jacked up.

What is the difference between PDR and cheaper 370s? any horsepower differences or is it just driveability stuff?
Old 10-12-2005, 08:04 AM

there is no difference!!!!!! this has been discussed over and over again the pop off pressures are so close from factory that it doesn't make a difference where you get them.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:09 PM

I have the #6 plate slid forward, 370's, and bumped the timing up. It doesnt smoke like my 02. It will haze when you start it up though. I can not peg the egt doohickey with this setup. I can hit 1400 after a long time though. I bought mine off ebay for pretty cheap and it came with everything.

Quick Reply: 370 Marine injectors and delivery valves?