Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

35/40 Hybid vs Super B

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 05:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[QUOTE=DodgenIt;2638729]Yea exactly, it needs to be bore'd out a little to make room fo the bigger compressor wheel is what ive read.
However, I have seen kits that sell the compressor wheel and the compressor housing I believe.
Which I had to clock mine to fit and it seems like you could just take the compressor housing off the HX35 and replace it with the housing from the HX40. Is this right?

QUOTE]

You can use an HX40 compressor housing IF you also use the HX40 compressor wheel.
The HTT hybrid kit has a 60mm Borg Warner compressor wheel and a compressor housing to fit the 60mm wheel.
It cooled my exhaust temps about 100F but when I put in bigger sticks, the exhaust heat returned and I went with a Cat 300G to get the 65mm exhaust wheel to let more of the heat out.
Old 11-27-2009, 06:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
will the factory trans handle a stock hx35 with my setup
would like to upgrade the trans valvebody and convertor but don't think the internals will handle the press only have 144k
thanks
Old 11-27-2009, 11:34 PM

Kantdrive 55... Im sure down pipe is part of it. Theirs doesnt come with one.
They were closed today but Im gonna call em on monday and find out the details.

Clunk...
Oh Gotcha. I forgot, I was mixin the hx40 wheel and the borg warner wheel thinkin it was the same wheel used. Makes sense now. Bigger sticks is the exact reason Im lookin at upgrading. Wanna throw some 90 hp sticks in and maybe stack a smarty so want more air on tap.

Dodge24...
What year is your truck? Do you have an 01/02 auto with the HY-35?
I think, IMO, you trans would be just fine with you curent mods and swappin a HX-35 in. you wont build anymore boost I dont think, but youll run cooler cause the bigger hot side.
Old 11-28-2009, 10:31 AM

01 with hy35 would like to look for hx35 maybe it will run a little cooler pulling
i don't pull often. if we get my buddies truck running maybe i will be pulling him to the dyno

thanks
Old 11-28-2009, 11:19 PM

Keep your eye on the classifieds on here, once in a while a HX35 will pop in. My hybrid will be in there pretty soon I think.
Good luck with you lookin.
Old 05-10-2014, 12:34 AM

I realize this thread is ancient, but on a search it seemed the best place to put it. I just did the 35/40 turbo from my OE HX35.

The biggest hitch is that most hx40 compressor housings do not have a provision for the waste gate actuator, and the smallish housing size of the 35 is a benefit for quick spool, but the waste gate controls drive pressure. Sealing it off is very very dumm- *especially* with a hybrid since drive pressures become more of an issue with the increase in flow.

I cut the center housing recess (mill/rotary table) to accommodate the larger diameter wheel. There are a handful of different diameters, so stating a size is useless. I went .050" larger diameter (.025" clearance at edge) than the new wheel.

For the waste gate actuator, I used 3" aluminum C-channel, and TIG welded it on after punching the slot and holes. Only to find that the slightly larger housing made the actuator interfere with the oil filter. So I had to mill the actuator rod slot deeper and cut the mount holes into slots.

But here's another surprise: The actuator pot interfered with the ID plate casting, so I had to machine a pocket for the actuator to tuck in out of the way.

The actuator rod will almost certainly not be adjusted correctly once you do all this. The female end has a stake to prevent adjustment. Drill it *just* so the threads are released. Then use a jam nut. Once assembled for test fit, adjusted rod to slip snugly over the WG lever, then tightened 4 turns. I repeatedly read 3 turns, but had poor performance which improved markedly with an extra turn.

I recommend *against* setting your pressure solely using the actuator rod as an adjuster since it cuts down on WG travel. A run of the mill "boost elbow" is the best way, but minor adjustments from there are fine. I'm running an adjustable boost elbow, but plan on putting the non-adjustable back in and using the rod to fine tune +5psi for 35psi at the manifold.

I used a BAE 60mm/86mm turbo wheel/housing that cost $280 taxed and shipped, and a HX35 rebuild kit off e-bay (turbopartscity02) for $36. So I'm into it for about $350 and two days of work. But that includes doing all the manifold gaskets too, and at a slacker pace.

http://baeturbosystems.com/compresso...2-2-1-2-3.aspx

BTW going bigger has drawbacks. You gain upper end performance at the expense of low end performance and response. More than you might think. One design bends this rule: Ball bearing turbos, which the Super B is, I believe.

This hybrid setup *is* laggier- instead of the puff and go, it's billowing black transitioning to grey, followed by a much harder push in the pants. I'm fueling somewhere between 400 and 450 hp though. That's with a low rpm abrupt stuff of the throttle though.

Edit: add second pic. Note how the actuator goes into the ID plate. I'm not the swiftest at TIG unfortunately, but it's functional.
Attached Thumbnails 35/40 Hybid vs Super B-resized.jpg   35/40 Hybid vs Super B-0509141308a.jpg   35/40 Hybid vs Super B-0509141714a.jpg  
Old 05-10-2014, 10:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good work totalloser!
I just put the 60-60-14 hybrid/jammer 100 nozzles combo back in for fuel mileage and it still comes on good but my boost is set at 40psi & I run a Comp which might have something to do with it.
Nailing the throttle at 1500-1600 gets things going better too.
Old 05-10-2014, 01:36 PM

Yeah, I noticed that. I had assumed it would have smoke inducing lag, but was still surprised a bit. I noticed that I can go MUCH heavier on the throttle without smoke once I do like you said and ease into it until about 1500rpm.

A *perk* I hadn't considered is that the lag is a benefit as the turbo stays spooled enough between shifts (if I'm quick) so I don't smoke as bad between shifts leaving a light. With the stock turbo I REALLY had to be spooled and shifting quick to not smoke between shifts. Either that or drive like a slug.

One of the reasons I did this was that I tend to bog along at low rpm for efficiency and occasionally found myself being followed by torches and pitchforks. So I wanted to have better flow at low rpm without going to a yet smaller exhaust housing- I'm sure a hy35 would have cleaned it up too. Cake and eat it to syndrome. Keeping my full closure turbo mount brake was also non-negotiable, and the expense would be hard to justify for replacing a perfectly good hx35.

My hope is that this mod won't hurt my fuel efficiency, and perhaps help a little- but my guess is that it will depend significantly on driving style, which won't show up until the glee factor wears off.

This is my first time posting a pic, I'll add another.
Old 07-19-2024, 02:30 AM

Sorry to hear about the issues with your Fusion hybrid. Did you consider to buy a new Ford truck? It might be a solid solution. Here’s why:

Reliability: New trucks come with warranties, reducing unexpected repair costs and stress.
Technology: Latest models have advanced tech and safety features, improving driving experience and safety.
Fuel Efficiency: Modern engines offer better fuel efficiency, saving money over time.
Comfort and Performance: Ford trucks are known for their comfort and capability.
Resale Value: Ford trucks hold their value well, making it a smart investment.
Good luck with your decision!