Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

35/40 or 40??

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2004, 09:31 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
35/40 or 40??

When running bigger tires (35's) and the stock 3.54's, side by side, which would run better..a hybrid or a straight up 40?

With the stock inj and dv, and the 35 tweaked to 34 psi, I can still smoke pretty good. So I believe a more air definitely in order before more upgrades. I just can't decide betwen a hybrid and a straight 40. I wonder about drive pressures with the hybrid's turbine and maximum power but also wonder about spool-up with the 40 and bigger tires, not to mention possible shaft weaknesses?. Hmmmm.....without many (any) other trucks around here to compare and ride in, my decison is cloudy. Of course, I really want to build a twin set, but am going to opt for a good single for now. What do you guys think?? It's mostly driven empty and I want a decent low end without sacrificing TOO much top end after a GSK. Target horsepower is 450 +/- until I double up.

I know this subject is probably worn out, but I have searched the threads and not found what I am looking for......someone that run both setups or knows best which turbo, even a different brand that would be best.

FYI.....going to swap in a 215 pump and bigger inj, dv, gsk at the same time as charger upgrade, but am still going to run the "0" plate I believe.

Thanks for the help in advance.
Old 10-07-2004, 09:51 PM
Banned

Go here this has some info on my upgrade.. I love it...
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...threadid=52304
Old 10-08-2004, 12:48 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I'd recommend a hybrid. The full 40 will be a little laggy, and you don't want that with 35s and 3.54s. The full 40 WILL support more HP. Compromises, compromises.....

Justin
Old 10-08-2004, 04:01 PM
Banned

Thanks guys. I was leaning towards the hybrid....the upper end loss will come back later with compounds. I definitely don't want to lag too much, especially with larger tires.

So as far as hybrids........all are not created equal I am sure. Who has had the best luck with what variation?? And wastegate or not to wastegate, that is the question!! Aren't hybrid compressors only good for about 45 psi anyway....which is just under stock HG limits? Or will they skyrocket like the 35, and stall just making hot air after a certain easily attainable limit, necessitating a wastegate??

Thanks guys keep it coming!!
Old 10-09-2004, 11:19 AM

I would lean towards the the wastegated 14cm housing for long term use.
The wastegated housing will also help save your headgasket.
Another nice thing about the hybrids is that they are direct bolt on (no exhaust change).

--Justin
Old 10-11-2004, 11:48 AM

Go with the hybrid.... When you decide to twin it, you'll have a nice top turbo to compliment the HT3b
Old 10-12-2004, 12:01 AM
Banned

Thanks guys, I was leaning that direction.......hate double buying. PLUS, when I buy the second turbo, my wife only knows about me needing "just one more turbo". Diplomacy kicks ***. Till she learns about CTD's that is. She's buyin one of the new liberty CTD's to replace her gasser Liberty.