Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

3 GSK installed !!!! Q&A time.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2006, 10:56 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up 3 GSK installed !!!! Q&A time.....

Ok well to start off if I would have known these springs would do this I would have done them 8 months ago when I got them.... ya I'm a procrastonator, why do something today when you can put it off till tomorrow...... all I have to say is this the best money that I ever spent at WWW.BLACKCLOUDDIESELPERFORMANCE.COM Thanx Garrett ... if I were to rate the install on a 1 to 10 scale 10 being the hardest I'd say it was like a 2.5 maybe a 3.... alot easier than getting the tamper resistant screw off the afc housing.... well on to the questions.....
1. Has anyone that has done this upgrade felt any difference in how their trans shifts? mine is alot more brisk, I mean there isn't a hessitation like before.
2. I've read that the nut on the springs is normally at .050" when I mesured mine before removal they were .124" and that is what I put them back at and noticed an increase of about 200 rpm at idle... if I were to loosen a click would that lower the idle or do I need to adjust the idle screw accordingly and let the springs ride?
3. If I flatfoot it it'll run up to 2750 or so and stay there pulling hard and then shift but if I manually shift it it'll run up to wherever I shift gears and then shift..... 3100 or so.... is that in the trans where it shifts or do I need to loosen or tighten the springs accordingly?

I would definately recomend this to anyone with a 12 valve I would but it at number 3 on the list of starters 1 being gauges 2 being exhaust 3 being the 3gsk kit......

Oh ya one more question on guys that have the trans temp gauge installed.... the autometer sending unit... will it thread into the stock sending unit place? If so isn't there something you have to to to eliminate the light in the cab from coming on? I tried a search but you know how that goes...
Old 01-14-2006, 11:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Congrats on the new springs!

1. My trans shifted the same but it is far far from stock so it slammed before.

2. I dont know what my measurements were but I remember that I put them back to what the measurements were. My idle did not change. I have heard of it raising some peoples and they just backed it off to fix the problem.

3. The springs will have no effect on when the tranny shifts. The fact the it shifts at 2750rpm is in the tranny. You can change the springs in the valve body to change what rpm that it changes at. I believe that each valve body spring change is worth 200 rpm. I also believe that the stock spring is a orange and I have put a white in (I chould have that backwards, talk to DHawk he knows everything).

The trans sender that I have screwed into the trans housing on the passenger side. There is a plug by the 2nd gear shift servo that I took out that the sender fit in. I still have the factory temp sensor in the tranny cooler line.

Hope this answers your questions
Old 01-15-2006, 01:54 AM

Definatley a great mod. Glad ur happy with it

On the transmission...Yes. Mine has shfted much better ever since i installed the GSK. No more dragging around about shifting. My truck was almost a chore to drive before the gsk because the transmission didnt want to shift up, and I was already into the defueling point. If I was on a hill i had a really hard time getting it to shift from 3rd to 4th. After the GSK, it bangs gears, and shifts good. I reccomend this mod over a plate any day for an automatic truck. Especially if you slide the plate forward some while you are doing it. It makes the truck much more driveable, and gasser like as far as the revving goes. On the trans temp sending unit...Im thinking you will either have to switch to the 94/95 style tranny line, or drill a hole in the pan. I dont think the 96, and up models have the stock trans temp dummy light sensor in the line like the 94,and 95's do. Glad you liked the GSK.

Eric
Old 01-15-2006, 02:16 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Adjust your idle back down to 750. If it won't adjust down you will have to back off on the spring nuts, one click and then try to set at 750. If not, try another click.
Old 01-15-2006, 10:44 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Aight.... I'll give that a shot.... it should idle down as i had to idle it up when it started getting cold......
Old 01-16-2006, 04:05 PM

If your idle drops after a GSK install more than 50-75RPM, then they are too tight.