Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

2nd egt probe

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 07:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2nd egt probe

I will be installing an attitude this weekend and would like to leave my existing gauge and pre turbo probe in place and also install the attitudes probe pre turbo for comparison.
Would there be a problem mounting the second probe just upstream of the existing or in the front three cylinders? The temps in the front three could not be that far off from the rear three, could they?

Thanks Mooseman
Old 02-08-2006, 09:48 PM
Banned

I have heard the cylinder #6 muns the hottest on the 24v trucks... Maybe you could tell us how much of a difference there is.
Old 02-08-2006, 10:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No need for a second thermocouple. You should be able to run the attitude and exisiting pyrometer off the same thermocouple.
Old 02-08-2006, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by Bart Timothy
No need for a second thermocouple. You should be able to run the attitude and exisiting pyrometer off the same thermocouple.
I thought the same thing but was told that not all thermocouples are the same and may send wrong info to the attitude. Ill ask Edge for sure when I meet with them on Friday. That would defiantly be the best way to go if it will work correctly.

mooseman
Old 02-08-2006, 10:47 PM

If he has thermocouple 1 in his exhaust manifold/downpipe....how is he supposed to measure another temp without a second thermocouple??
Old 02-09-2006, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by mooseman
I thought the same thing but was told that not all thermocouples are the same and may send wrong info to the attitude. Ill ask Edge for sure when I meet with them on Friday. That would defiantly be the best way to go if it will work correctly.mooseman
Very doubtful they're running anything different the the K type everyone else uses. Where you might run into problems is if there's not long enough wire out of the attitude to reach the wires coming out of the thermocouple itself. In that case, you'll have to use K type thermocouple wire for the extension. If you use copper it will throw the attitude readings off on the low side by a 100* or so.
Old 02-09-2006, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by Dr. Evil
If he has thermocouple 1 in his exhaust manifold/downpipe....how is he supposed to measure another temp without a second thermocouple??
As I understand it, he's not necessarily wanting to add another thermocouple if he doesn't need to. He wants to keep his current guage and use the attitude at the same time, unless he wants to measure the temps in 2 different locations.
Old 02-09-2006, 07:32 AM

As I understand it, he's not necessarily wanting to add another thermocouple if he doesn't need to. He wants to keep his current guage and use the attitude at the same time, unless he wants to measure the temps in 2 different locations.

whoops, I may have read the second post closer than the first.
Old 02-09-2006, 07:54 AM

Thats exactly what Im after. Just a comparison between the autometer and the attitude.
Thanks Mooseman