Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

24V wont start need advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 09:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
24V wont start need advice

a friend of mine has a 99 24V I believe that is the year and it wont start. he changed his fuel filter and his fass pump is coming on but it wont fire. my question is what to look for. I told him he made need to bleed the lines and check for codes. I am just asking what else could be the issues? I know the truck has a tst and has for a while now so maybe the VP44 is junk but I was hoping to find other answers than that. the truck does have a few mods but not tons. thanks for any input fellas
Old 06-20-2008, 12:01 PM
Banned

Check Codes.... Probably a VP
Old 06-20-2008, 12:07 PM
Muted User

open the fule filter water canister drain and see if its gettin fuel there. itll blow out llike crazy witht aht pump if its werkin. if it is then mash the pedal and crank it. it should start after 30 sec or so but dont crank too long cont or itll fry the starter. they start hard after ya drain the fuel can
Old 06-20-2008, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by timbeaux38
Check Codes.... Probably a VP
I was thinking the same thing but he said it wont throw any codes
Old 06-20-2008, 07:18 PM

bleed it well
Old 06-21-2008, 05:18 AM

If you changed the FASS fuel filter, make sure its bled properly. Crack the filter a bit, and have him hit the starter to trigger the pump. You will hear the pump load up after a couple seconds, tighten up the filter at that point or diesel will come out. Trigger the pump a couple more times (should run for 25 seconds or so), then try firing it up. You may have to crack the hi-pres lines if he started it and then ran the VP dry. It was a PITA when I did that to my truck the first time I changed filters.
Old 06-21-2008, 05:03 PM

when i put my fass on my truck and bled the lines it still didnt start i had a couple of guys on here told me to unplugg my batteries for 30 min and let the capacitors drain completly and then plug them back up and try it it has worked ever time i had to do it "twice main line popped of the fass while in traffic" try that and see if it works

Trending Topics

Old 06-21-2008, 05:29 PM

hmmm. I wonder if this is worth trying for my issue in the Help forums.
Old 06-22-2008, 12:11 AM

I would be willing to bet from my own experiance that you just need to bleed the injector lines. take a 3/4" wrench and crack the nuts on cyl 1,3,& 4 there the easy ones to get to then just crank it till fuel starts to dribble out, tighten the nuts as the fuel starts coming out and it should start hitting over for you. cracking more nuts will help but they are harder to get to, it may take what seems to be an ob sured amount of cranking but I am 99% sure this is your problem.

" try the cheap easy stuff before you start emptying your wallet" I have tried both ways before and have lots of new necessary parts to show for it.

good luck and keep cranking, you haven't done it enough yet
Old 06-22-2008, 10:31 AM

I agree with JDGPULLER... before you assume it's a bogus VP44, crack a few injection lines to bleed the system and insure you have fuel going where you need it.
Old 06-22-2008, 11:58 AM

the same thing happened to me when i changed my fuel filter. i had air in the lines and from cranking it over so much it killed my starter and drained my batteries. i suggest cracking the 1 and 3 fuel line, checking the fuel/water sepperater to see if its filling with fuel, check batteries and starter, oh and with the started mine still cranked but it didnt have enough power to start the motor. if all are good it might be the vp44. good luck!
Old 06-24-2008, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by JDGPULLER
I would be willing to bet from my own experiance that you just need to bleed the injector lines. take a 3/4" wrench and crack the nuts on cyl 1,3,& 4 there the easy ones to get to then just crank it till fuel starts to dribble out, tighten the nuts as the fuel starts coming out and it should start hitting over for you. cracking more nuts will help but they are harder to get to, it may take what seems to be an ob sured amount of cranking but I am 99% sure this is your problem.

" try the cheap easy stuff before you start emptying your wallet" I have tried both ways before and have lots of new necessary parts to show for it.

thats what I told him to do. he said they cracked them open still wont start. so im kind of stuck on what the problem is also. as far as I know the truck still wont start. thanks for all the help guys I do appreciate it
Old 06-24-2008, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by jwb600
thats what I told him to do. he said they cracked them open still wont start. so im kind of stuck on what the problem is also. as far as I know the truck still wont start. thanks for all the help guys I do appreciate it
so when he cracks the lines, he doesn't get any fuel out of the lines??
Old 06-24-2008, 08:58 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by JDGPULLER

The correct line nut size is 19mm, but 3/4 will get the job done in most cases. Be gentle on that hardware-- it's somewhat fragile.

jh
Old 06-24-2008, 11:09 PM

I don't think .002" will hurt in wrench size. Is the sabbatical over? Good to see you back Justin.

Quick Reply: 24V wont start need advice