Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

24v mechanical pump conversion

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
24v mechanical pump conversion

OK, I know this topic has been touched on alot as of recently, but I still have some questions and concerns. I basically wanted to get some good hard facts about this conversion. I want to know the cost and what it takes to put it all in. Like is there any major modifications that have to be done...etc. Also for someone like me who wants moderate hp gains and does not drive there truck much, is the FASS worth the save in money. I am in college and on limited funds until I finish my studies but I also like my hobby and make enough money to have fun. But anyways, my next step in the mod list is to better my fuel system so that my vp doesnt crap out when i put on the edge comp hot and some injectors...hopefully I am making sense here. basically i want to know comparison, if there is any, and if for my application the fass is fine or not...or is the mechanical pump it???

Thanks for the input ,
Kevin
Old 12-21-2005, 09:59 PM

Kevin, if you are still in College, a P-Pump conversion is likely not for you. Thw swap can be REALLY expensive. P-Pumped trucks tend to be big HP and big dollar rigs and not really daily drivers..
Old 12-21-2005, 10:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by heavyboostin
OK, I know this topic has been touched on alot as of recently, but I still have some questions and concerns. I basically wanted to get some good hard facts about this conversion. I want to know the cost and what it takes to put it all in. Like is there any major modifications that have to be done...etc. Also for someone like me who wants moderate hp gains and does not drive there truck much, is the FASS worth the save in money. I am in college and on limited funds until I finish my studies but I also like my hobby and make enough money to have fun. But anyways, my next step in the mod list is to better my fuel system so that my vp doesnt crap out when i put on the edge comp hot and some injectors...hopefully I am making sense here. basically i want to know comparison, if there is any, and if for my application the fass is fine or not...or is the mechanical pump it???

Thanks for the input ,
Kevin
I don't get what your saying. I don't think your talking about swaping the injection pump or you wouldn't have mentioned about your vp crapping out. So are you talking about a fass lift pump compared to puting a mechanical lift pump on? If so the fass will be ALOT cheaper to put on then to do a mechanical lift pump conversion which requires a new cam. but maybe you weren't even talking about that, cuz you sure didn't explain very good
Old 12-21-2005, 10:52 PM
DTR Advertiser

The FASS is less cash. They fail, but not like crazy or anything.

The conversion to a mech pump is basically bulletproof. My mech pump had 200,000 miles on it when I took it apart to rebuild it and it was NOT worn at all. I put it back together and it is ready to go again. It had NO wear. A 24 V engine needs a cam swap to run the mech pump. This forces you to, purchase a cam. The mech pump is around 160 bucks, the cam is around 700 and line kit and other parts needed come to about another 150 or so with gaskets spacers, etc. So its over a grand. A FASS is like 600 or less, but you dont get a cam and you dont get the line kit all the way to the VP44 to replace the banjo bolts, etc.

Its a hands down win for the mech pump conversion when you look at everything like reliability and value, but it does cost more than just an electric pump.

Don~
Old 12-21-2005, 11:42 PM

Ok....a little confusion here...maybe I read the original post wrong??

heavyboostin, are you talking about converting your electric lift pump to a mechanical lift pump (12V style) or are you talking about getting rid of your VP-44 and going with a P-7100 Injector pump??
Old 12-22-2005, 12:10 AM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr. Evil
Ok....a little confusion here...maybe I read the original post wrong??

heavyboostin, are you talking about converting your electric lift pump to a mechanical lift pump (12V style) or are you talking about getting rid of your VP-44 and going with a P-7100 Injector pump??

I believe he is referring to the mechanical lift pump as he mentions the FASS in his original post.
Old 12-22-2005, 12:22 AM

Thanks....
Old 12-22-2005, 06:59 AM

The mechanical pump is the way to go for reliability. Don's system with a cam or the Rasp is also a mechanical pump.

A lot of people run Fass and Fass II which come with a decent warrenty. I just mounted a oem pump to the frame with the Vulcan kit. Jegs sells a simular kit with a Holly pump.

Just depends on what you want to put into your truck. I get 15+ fp at idle with the stock pump relocated
Old 12-22-2005, 10:25 AM

Yea sorry I meant mechanical lift pump...not injection pump
Old 12-22-2005, 10:49 AM

Another advantage to consider besides the mechanical pump is a new cam will improve the engines ability to breathe. Your turbo doesn't have to work as hard and you'll get more power with less boost. It's initially more expensive than a fass but you won't ever have to buy another lift pump. Over a period a say 5-6 years you could potentially buy two fass pumps which would equal the cost of the cam conversion without the benefits of the cam.
Old 12-22-2005, 12:05 PM

Thats a good idea, so you are replacing the cam...hmm sounds like more work than I want to do at the moment...maybe ill just go with the FASS for now and see how it holds up...Like I said I dont want anything to serious right now, Just a truck that runs decent and put donw a lil smoke from time to time...and looks good, being in college I dont have alot of time and money to devote to my truck...thanks for all yourhelp guys and sorry for the confusion in my beginning post, I forgot to specify which pump I was talking and I just assumed...

Thanks,
Kevin
Old 12-22-2005, 02:46 PM

You might want to look into a fuel pressure gauge. That way you can tell how your pump is doing, be it stock or aftermarket.
Old 12-24-2005, 10:44 AM
The Guru

If your low on bucks an electrical carter pump is the cheapest route. Its not gonna last for long, but will last until your done school. Install a cheap pressure gauge. Your cost should be under $120 for everything. It isn't fancy or exotic but will work.