Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

24 valve needs more horse.

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 12:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
24 valve needs more horse.

Hey there im kinda new to the diesel world. I have an 02 24 valve with 6spd trans that i wanna beef up a little. my signature says what i have done so far but its just not enough. Im thinkin about getttin another chip and was thinkin of goin with the adrenaline or the tst comp. i have heard good things about both of them, but would like a second opinion. i also want to throw some bigger injectors in but wasn't sure how big or what kind i should put in. im an 18 year college kid so i don't have a big bank account but i want more power, and smoke. could somebody please give me some info and ideas before i get to crazy?
Old 03-12-2009, 12:20 AM

I wouldn't expect to be able to add much more power and the clutch hold. I think a clutch upgrade is the next step. JMHO
Old 03-12-2009, 12:45 AM

Yeah i have been waitin for that to go. my buddy has basically an identical truck and he smoked his clutch and messed his rear end up. Weird thing is that i can't feel any slip in it at all.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:26 PM

i cant feel slip either.. i can smell mine a lil sometimes.. how much hp u want? most guys say do injectors for more power and maybe a turbo. im wantin to build mine for 500 hp plus. sounds like 150 hp or 200 injectors a big clutch some head studs and a turbo wil get u some real power.. dang that money jus dont come fast enough does it.. im with ya on that.
Old 03-14-2009, 01:44 AM

I wouldn't go with another box. HO pumps seem to max out around an extra 90 hp from electronics alone. Injectors would be your best step forward for power. F1's for sure. Some Mach 4's would be a nice addition. Then time for a turbo.
Old 03-14-2009, 02:59 AM

I have smelt mine only once actually. I would say 400 to 450 horse would be ideal. I still want a reliable street pickup that i can tow stuff with. I really wish that money grew on trees haha.
Tate, how big are the F1's and the Mach 4's? I am pretty satisfied with my quadzilla box for what it cost me. Would the bigger injectors make my truck smoke a lot more?
Old 03-14-2009, 07:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Add the smarty to it.
If you tow anything more than 5,000 lbs, and have 450 hp, you will need to look at compound turbo's.
I have tried several bigger singles and finaly went with a s-400 added to a hx-35.
Many will tell you different.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:28 AM

F1 or formula one is the brand name and the mach 4 is the size. its a 150 hp injector. most guys say best mpg and smoothest sticks u can get.. a lil more pricey but everyone says its worth it. and my buddy had a set of mach 2s which are only 100 hp in a 6 speed like yours and good grief ya, it billowed smoke then!! lol with 150s its gonna be big smoke for sure
Old 03-14-2009, 07:59 PM

Ya i have been thinkin about gettin a smarty.
So with the setup that my pickup has, if i added 150hp injectors, what do you think it would have for horse? then what if the smarty was added to that?
Old 03-15-2009, 05:26 PM

get a bigger turbo and some sticks and you be quick
Old 03-15-2009, 09:04 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't see any gauges in your sig. You need to upgrade your fuel system or else. But on the bright side when your VP44 dies you can upgrade to an SO pump.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:44 PM

well if u get a smarty and 150s guys were tellin me with a bigger turbo your right up there in that 500 to 550 range. )
Old 03-15-2009, 10:49 PM

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
I dont mean to be a wet blanket but you best think this through a bit before you go off half cocked. I only say this as you mentioned you didnt have much money and that you are young. One thing you will find is that these things can eat money much faster than you can provide it.

HO's are known for responding well to injectors. Mach 4's while maybe not the biggest and baddest are certainly up there. Those are what $900.00. You put those in and you will need a clutch real quick another very easy $1000.00. You will also need a turbo which will be another easy $1200.00. At this point you are way past needing gauges so add another $500.00. If you havent already done intake and exhaust you will want to do this as well add another $750 for that. Well that only adds up to what a bit over $4300.00 just for parts. Oh you may need to add an upgrade to your fuel system as mentioned by a previous poster. Another $200-$1000 depending on what you do.

Now you can certainly throw in some mach 4's and drive around and turn daylight into night with a smoke show if chosen. However you are not going to be able to utilize the power without adding the turbo and the clutch. Even with the turbo and clutch mach 4's may not be the ticket if you want to tow anything more than jetski. They can get pretty toasty pulling a load up a hill. Depending on your altitude you might not want to even pull a jet ski with them without twins.

Again I dont want to seem like a wet blanket am just trying to give a small dose of reality. With limited funds you need to plan very carefully or you may be sorry. ie throwing in m4's you may end up driving like grandma just to keep them in check until you can afford a turbo and a clutch which might be how long? If I were you I would spend a lot of time going through the old posts in the pertinent forums here to see what works and what doesnt. Pay attention to how they are using their vehicle and how they are driving it (street, strip, sled pulling, towing heavy). I am not saying dont do anything but do your research first and know what you are getting into before you go spending cold hard cash or plastic on some expensive go fast parts that may not work as you had envisioned without the complete package.

I am not young or poor however my truck has made me rethink both of those positions. It makes me feel younger than I am and it darn sure gets more than its fair share of money out of me. GOOD LUCK
Old 03-15-2009, 11:11 PM
The Guru

I would use the mach 4's and NOS bottle. A edge drag box and roll smoke.
Old 03-15-2009, 11:16 PM

500 to 550hp? holy crap!
Gauges are the next thing im installing. yeah, i have been told that about the fuel system. thought of a fass or air dog. got any recommendations?
thanks for your concern on the matter. i definitely get what your are saying about the money thing. im thinkin my truck must have a heavier duty clutch in it because my buddy has the same chip in his truck and i have more power than him and he tore his clutch out pretty fast and i run mine just as hard as him, if not harder since i actually tow stuff with mine, i.e. his truck when his clutch when out. lol.

Quick Reply: 24 valve needs more horse.