Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.
View Poll Results: 2002 24 valve- Make Me Smoke !
No
33.33%
Votes
0%
Here
66.67%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

2002 24 valve- Make Me Smoke !

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2004, 06:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by dieselminded
Dear graphitecumnz, Your truck is ---2002 2500 H.O. CTD, QC short bed, 4x4 ---huh.......I might be new to these threds but, Im almost if not completly positive that in 2002 the only H.O. cummins was put in 1 tons am I wrong????
Yes, you are wrong.... It's been said here already but I will come to my own defense as well.... The H.O. was the engine placed in the 2500/3500's with a 6 spd manual (which I have) hence my sig... also the H.O. has a slighly different VP-44(or maybe just the fueling parameters) than the S.O.

If you want smoke get an Edge Comp and run it on 5x5, your auto tranny won't hold up for long but you'll lay down a cloud of the good stuff for all to see.
Old 05-11-2004, 07:31 PM
Banned

Im in that sounds reasonable about the air box Do you cut the inside fender as well to match the new opening you cut in the filter box? or do you just cut the box? about your ez and injectors if its possible for me to tare my trany out I probly will. I got plenty of power for what I do stock I want SMOKE with minimal upgrades if possible If I did to my truck everything Ive read and got all excited about ...........Id be a broke man standing beside my $100,000 cummins and crying because I just twisted my truck in two! ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,mean while rideing my bicycle 40 miles one way to get to work.but It all still sounds like fun Im just a cummins owner void of smoke ....all alone but were gettin closer to my answer
Old 05-11-2004, 07:39 PM
Banned

graphitecumnz I can answer my own question::::::How do I get smoke in my 04 cummins???........Well first take your truck to dave mitchel hand him $20000 and go on vacation when you come back pick it up and enjoy!!!or all you have to do is get 2 turbos,a comp,box,milatary axels,stage 99 injectors, and say a little prayer then youll smoke! ..............my question still stands the most important thing is to not tare the heck out of my truck,,,,but still smoke!!!no trany work or any thing I dont need more power!!!!! I allready have more than psd and thats just fine with me. just want smoke i checked on the tst comp trany upgade needed so that was a dead end keep em commin all
Old 05-11-2004, 08:02 PM

Do you have an 02 or an 04?? one post you say you have a 2002 CTD... then you ask how to get your 04 Cummins to smoke...

you may find it hard to get your 04 to smoke without touching the tranny. I'm not too akin to the workings of the HPCR fueling system but on the 600's they have 3 stage injection specifically designed to cut emissions. I'd think this would be a hinderance to producing smoke since it's designed to be California friendly.

I know how to make big smoke in my truck... $600 for an Edge Comp, $900 for an SBC and I can smoke all day long.

If you're refusing to do tranny work, you may be out of luck if you're looking for big smoke.... how about opening the wastegate a little so that you run minimal boost... should get some smoke then. Or look into an Edge EZ, should not require tranny work but I don't know how much it will smoke.
Old 05-11-2004, 08:07 PM
Banned

My BAD 2002 cummins.............. Ill check into the edge ez Ive heard alot about it. I thought you plugged your waste gate for some reason not open it up?? no boost no power right?? I dont need more power but I dont want to lose any either
Old 05-11-2004, 08:32 PM

the way to get smoke as someone else has said is dump fuel... smoke is just unburnt diesel. if you supply the engine with more fuel than the supplied air can burn you get smoke and high EGT's. if you could fashion a way for the wastegate to be slightly open and build moderate boost but not build full boost while the engine still dumps full fuel, you would theoretically smoke and quite possibly a lot. not sure that is possible.

plugging the wastegate will give you more boost than stock and lessen the chance of smoking as well as setting an overboost code in the computer.

my truck as is in my sig can smoke some but not a lot nor is it all that noticeable, I can see it in my sideview mirror but more at night in someones headlights. in 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear at high RPM's I get a stream of black smoke but it's very faint in density... 5th gear will smoke some at high RPM's as well and in low RMP's the smoke kinda just falls out... 6th gear doing 40 mph till about 55mph with my foot on the floor I get the most noticeable smoke. you won't have that kind of control with an auto but you should see some smoke if you put it into 2nd and run it up to 2500+ rpm... it's not gonna satisfy your needs that's for sure. best of luck to ya in those regards...

once you start the BOMB's it's hard to stop...
Old 05-12-2004, 01:51 PM

No need to cut the fender just discard the tube that goes fron the fender to the box
Old 05-12-2004, 05:19 PM
Banned

A friend of mine unbuckeled the tube ... a few weeks later I had a leaf on my filter...so I put it back so it could only suck air from inside the fender. When your sucking air from inside the motor compartment its hot air if you get it from the inter fender well its cool and clean I wonder if that matters?? Well it looks like ill get some type of fuel box and start saving $$$ for trany work. Thats what I was afraid of when I started this thred
Old 05-12-2004, 05:22 PM

Good luck and hang on to your wallet
Old 05-12-2004, 05:28 PM
Banned

Old 05-12-2004, 05:47 PM
Banned

Turnbuckle, Turbo Master, ??????????What are they and where can I get one and what do they do.and will it make my stocker smoke ??????$$$$???? I might be on to something here with out all the upgrades

Old 05-12-2004, 07:33 PM

Received 142 Likes on 108 Posts
dieselminded, for future posts go to the top of the screen and click on the user cp button. Then click on edit profile and fill in all the info, goodies, or what evr you want about your truck and stuff. This way you dont have to repeat yourself over and over about what you have.
Old 05-13-2004, 09:36 PM
Banned

Thanks hows this
Old 05-13-2004, 09:39 PM
Banned

there I fixed the "2" ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,now what is the smallest chip,box,puck or what ever I can get to make me smoke just a little bit , and I wont have to worry about my trany
Old 05-14-2004, 08:02 PM

Question why not...

Back in the old days somone put a spark plug in the tail pipe of their 40 Ford and hooked it to a Model T coil. By coasting with the choke closed then lighting the coil off you could get quite a flame out the back. Today you can buy such a system that is spectacular for about $125.
Soooo why not add a bung right after the turbo and install a nozzle with a check valve and hook it to an old lift pump (every one has one of those around ) a switch and a line to a can with #2 in it. I would think you would get a cloud especially those without mufflers.

I know this is really out in the outfield but is it possible? I know the big model air plane guys tried it a few years ago to get smoke but they don't have the temperature these trucks do. It would partially burn I would think. Surely wouldn't cost much.

Comments???

bentwings could use "smoke" once in a while.

Quick Reply: 2002 24 valve- Make Me Smoke !