Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

2001 threw some codes. New samrty on board.

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 07:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 threw some codes. New samrty on board.

Threw some codes. I just installed a new intake and a SMARTY on #3. Then checked the codes and had none. Drove a while and while cruising a surface street (35mph) the throttle went soft. I mashed it down on it then let off, as there was no response. Got home and the smarty said I had the following two codes:
P0216 – Injection pump timing failure.
P1693 – DTC detected in companion JTEC module. (The smarty book says P1693 is “DTC cleared in companion JTEC module”.

Can someone please help clarify this for me? Was it the smarty? I run an otherwise stock 2001 truck with an auto. A 4” system is on order.

Tanks Jim
Old 01-07-2007, 07:39 PM

injection pump is going bad, Be prepared to spend some cash! First step is to check your lift pump. Usually if its thrown a 0216 its gone! Probably lost a lift pump! I would get a gauge and a fass or similar lift pump Glacier and Vulcan both make good kits for less!
Thanks
Old 01-07-2007, 07:40 PM

Unhappy

oh man thats bad,the 0216 is the death code,i have it too,i ran my truck with a plugged fuel filter and got the code,the smarty cleared it,hope it doesnt come back,the 1693 is nothing to worry about,the 0216 is,you never had the dead pedal or any other symptoms before installing the smarty?hope the smarty never caused any problems,never heard of one causing any problems.hope the 0216 never comes back for ya,
Old 01-07-2007, 07:51 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Orion (and Dave)
Once the P0216 is thrown, it doesn't just go away. Chances are it was failing long before the Smarty was downloaded.
Short answer is, you are in for a rude awakening. If you are relatively good with the wrenches you can do the job yourself, parts are going to run you in the $1,200 dollar range.
First order of business would be to find out what kind of fuel pressure you have before the VP-44.
If you hadn't already read here, a fuel pressure gauge is MANDATORY on your truck, the fuel system is somewhat poorly designed (from the factory) and prone to premature failure due to lack of adequate pressure/volume.
Old 01-07-2007, 07:53 PM
P.J
Banned

The throttle going "soft" is commonly referred to as "Dead Pedal".

My 2001.5 did it to me right at 68,000 miles, fortunatley for me it was still under the Cummins warranty at that point or I would have been SOL.

Some trucks run a good while after the code, (and/or tell tale symptoms), others ....... not so much.
Old 01-07-2007, 07:54 PM

P.J. How you Like the 05? Bet you havent had a 0215 & 3/4 yet have you?
Thats my next toy!
Guys theres some great places with discount prices but just remember you get what you pay for ! Very True with vp44's! As P.J. Said you need fuel pressure! Id get a good lift pump while i was at it!
Old 01-07-2007, 08:39 PM

OK… OK… all I have here in essence is a grocery getter / hunting rig (I bought new). The **** thing only has 44,000 on it and my pump is failing? Could it be some crappy fuel clogged my filter and I’m OK? The Cummins warranty is only 5 year or 100k right?

How do I figure what pressure (lift pump) it has before the injector pump?
What gauge would you guys buy? Electronic display analog type?

I am good with a wrench but know I don’t know much about what to get for it. What exactly is the FASS system and which one should I get? If I need a new injector pump which one of those should I get?

This is going to lead me to a tranny upgrade too, which I hopped to put off for a while. If I’m slapping on new parts (on credit) I know I want more power. I wish I had bought the manual now!

You guys are great! This DTR forum is slamming!

Jim
Old 01-07-2007, 08:43 PM
P.J
Banned

Hcchhmmm <clearing throat>

It's an 06.

I like it very much, only thing that sucks was going from having 15 months left to pay back to 60!

Time was right, I got it in late August, 100% satisfied so far.

Only reason I ever even stumbled upon this fine site was my old truck starting to give me trouble. My very first post here was to ask why my truck was idling down the highway while I was mashing the accelerator.
These trucks are workhorses, the 2nd Gens are just tricky with the Injection pump issues. Once I got mine replaced and kept a close eye on my lift pump pressures all was well. You can just about be assured many, many happy years of service with regular maintenance and keeping tabs on the fuel system.
Old 01-07-2007, 08:56 PM
P.J
Banned

Orion,
No, a clogged filter will not just toss a code, then be relived from swapping filters (we wish!). Yes, the Cummins warranty is 5 YR/ 100K, thing is, it is based on your "in-service date", therefore, if your truck wasn't sold off the lot until late 2002 you could still be covered (VERY unlikely)
The VP-44 can be had for right around a grand. No real options there, they have been improved over the years to include supposed updates that make for a longer running pump.
There is a HRVP, (hot rod) those who have it are happy (I assume) but I'm not sure it's worth the extra $500-600 in dollar per HP terms.

You can get a fuel pressure gauge, mounted in the cab for around $60.00 (plus the mounting pod).
I would suggest just getting a mechanical gauge, pretty much fool proof if installed properly. (do a search for "needle valve") This will show you how most of us have the gauge plumbed.
I have had good luck with Diesel Manor, competitive pricing, good service, reasonable shipping.
The FASS (Fuel Air Separation System) pretty much replaces your fuel delivery system up to the Injection Pump. It consists of a pump and in-line filters.
Most people lately seem to be just opting for the FASS pump itself, a definite upgrade over the stock Carter pump.
The stock pump can be bought from a Cummins dealer for about $64.00, they last anywhere from 2 months to several years.

I wished I had bought a manual at about 40K when MY auto took a dump, while searching for my new one, I never even so much as set foot in an auto to test drive (literally).
You have a lot of reading to do, grab a cold beverage, pull up a chair and use the search feature.
Old 01-07-2007, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Orion
OK… OK… all I have here in essence is a grocery getter / hunting rig (I bought new). The **** thing only has 44,000 on it and my pump is failing? Could it be some crappy fuel clogged my filter and I’m OK? The Cummins warranty is only 5 year or 100k right?

How do I figure what pressure (lift pump) it has before the injector pump?
What gauge would you guys buy? Electronic display analog type?

I am good with a wrench but know I don’t know much about what to get for it. What exactly is the FASS system and which one should I get? If I need a new injector pump which one of those should I get?

This is going to lead me to a tranny upgrade too, which I hopped to put off for a while. If I’m slapping on new parts (on credit) I know I want more power. I wish I had bought the manual now!

You guys are great! This DTR forum is slamming!

Jim

Chances of a bad fuel filter causing your issue are slim. The 0216 code usually spells doom, but can take months for it to kill the pump, it may just cause low power/mileage and dead pedal. Save your pennies and hang on to them, you never know when it will die.

Since your truck is stock (other than Smarty), and you have very little miles on it, check the thread in the 24v about the '8 year warranty', as well as your warranty book. It says that the 5 year/100k Cummins warranty begins at the END of the 3 year/36k mile warranty. There has been a few people who have gotten repairs done on warranty after their 5 year/100k had 'expired'. Read the thread, you'll understand better than I'm explaining. Just remove the Smarty first.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by Orion
...The Cummins warranty is only 5 year or 100k right?...
That's what you will hear from DaimlerChrysler if your 2001 Cummins/Ram has a problem after 5 years/100,000 miles. Here's my take on your Cummins Diesel Engine Limited Warranty.

-Thomas
Old 01-09-2007, 06:58 AM
P.J
Banned

Good write up Thomas, very concise and easy to follow. Impressive links to the documents too!
It seems DC knows they pretty much are going to have to deal with this on a case by case basis until the last few are covered.

Sucks to be them, supposedly my 06 manual is written the same way (haven't looked, I only have 4,400 on).

I'm TOTALLY surprised they haven't send out riders, amendment(s), or some other official changes to the warranty handbook in an effort to cut their obligations.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:24 AM

Thanks.

The wording in the Warranty Information booklets is identical for at least 1999, 2000, & 2001. DaimlerChrysler had no problem using the warranty as a selling point when I purchased my Ram in 1999. I had no problem using the same warranty when the VP44 died.

My read of the linked federal law (a part of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Federal Trade Commission Improvement Act) tells me that there is no way DaimlerChrysler can amend the warranty once it's given to a purchaser—wouldn't that be like changing the rules after the game started?
Old 01-09-2007, 08:55 AM

WOW!!! Looks like someone experienced DPS...(Dead Pedal Syndrome)