Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

2001 F650 w/cummins allison combo!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 06:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2001 F650 w/cummins allison combo!!!

ok guys i just recently purchased a 2001 Ford F650 with the 5.9 cummins ISB engine and the allison 2400 transmission.

is this the same engine as in the 98-02 dodges? or whats different?

now i was told by the gentelman i bought it from that i can't do any mods to the engine or the tranny wouldnt work right and the same for the engine.

which i thought that to be pretty odd. he also said that was the only year you couldn't do anything for mods to the engine or tranny, but other years you can.

anyway what mods can i do to make more power?

also i would like to do a p7100 swap on this truck is it possible with the ford electronics and allison tranny?

any help would be great.

thanks
Old 01-13-2009, 06:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I could understand that post I'd do my best to help, but its all jargin to me.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:05 PM

is that better?
Old 01-13-2009, 07:48 PM

Alright, well its not a lot of info to base off of, so I'll do my best. If its an ISB out of a Dodge, and it has the VP44 Inj Pump, you can definitely tune it up. And while I know nothing about the Allison 2400, it is 1 of 2 types of tranny's. Electronic, or Mechanical. If its electronic, it must have a stand alone controller, or some type of computer to mate it to the Cummins. If its Mechanical, no matter what you do to the engine, it won't change how the trans runs (unless of course you push it beyond its limits). If it has a stand alone computer, it may have to be adjusted to match your new powerband, but it should still run fine. You'll need to find out what year a truck the engine came out of if you want a programmer for it, as the 01, 02, and 98.5-00 use different programmers. The trans you'll likely have to take to a trans shop to have adjusted.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:23 PM

this is a factory setup in the 2001 ford F650 trucks. you had the 7.3 ford powerstroke or the catipillar engine or the cummins engine to choose from.

this one has the cummins and so i assume since its all factory it should be a 2001 cummins and it does say ISB and yes VP44 pump.

the tranny yes is an electronic stand alone computer. i used to own one as i was going to put it in my 97 but i didn't have the time so i had the georand brothers build one and put in my truck for me and sold my allison trans.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:36 AM

Ah... I misread the title. I thought it was a transplanted Cummins in an F350 or something similar. It will have its own programming, not the same as the Dodge applications. Its still more than capable of being tweaked, but you'll need to call Edge, Quad, Banks, BD, whoever you want, to see if they offer a programmer for it.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:45 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
If its stock the electronics are cummins ecm is different than dodge I don't think after market boxes will work Try blue chip diesel they have boxes that work on class 8 trucks they may be able to answer your question

Trending Topics

Old 01-14-2009, 11:39 AM
DHT

I would love to see some pics of that rig please! Sounds too good to be true! Awesome truck!
Old 01-14-2009, 12:08 PM

as soon as i get it in the shop and cleaned up i will get some pics. kinda hard to wash it outside when the temp is right at 0 degrees for a regular temp.

i guess i will have to make alot of phone calls to see what i can do to this truck.

thanks
Old 01-14-2009, 12:29 PM

Yeah, SCT, Bully Dog, Blue Chip, all those guys can probably get you something, but it might take a while and cost a pretty penny.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:38 PM

so how was ford able to offer a Cummins and a Allison?
Old 01-14-2009, 12:49 PM

ford owns cummins. but dodge owns the right to put the cummins in there trucks. but i guess the contract with dodge has run out in the past few monthes. so ford might be putting them in there truck now.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:06 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Racing_Joe66
ford owns cummins. but dodge owns the right to put the cummins in there trucks. but i guess the contract with dodge has run out in the past few monthes. so ford might be putting them in there truck now.
^^^ this guy cracks me up ^^^

oh wait..... your serious
Old 01-14-2009, 01:39 PM
The Guru

What type of connectors are on you're map sensor and data link connector? If they are the same as what dodge uses, I can't see why the dodge stuff wouldn't work but I would think that cummins did put in different stuff. You could still use the dodge stuff, just get a box for the same year of the motor. You might have to splice into the wiring harness, to get it to work. The Allison should be easy to mod, they allow anybody to adjust or change stuff, just find someone with a programer. The wire tap on the VP pump should work too.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Racing_Joe66
Alright... I really wanted to help you, but after this comment, I'm sorry, I can't.

Search Ford Cummins... Ford doesn't own ANY part of Cummins anymore (at one point they invested in them and controlled about 10%), Dodge JUST re-upped on their contract with Cummins till 2016 or something like that, its a long long way in the future. If you want info, just ask questions, and try to keep your knowledge to yourself.

Sorry, this is just a OLD fairy tale the Ford guys keep dreaming of. They have a nice chassis, and junk powertrains in them. You ever smelled a Powerstroke driver? They wreak... Jealousy is a stinky cologne, and they can't help but pour it on.

Quick Reply: 2001 F650 w/cummins allison combo!!!