Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

2001 Cummins = Too Loud Says Neighbour = Me GRRRR!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 01:40 PM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st gear 3k on the tach 100ft shift + 2nd gear 3k on tach the rest of the way = LOL
Old 08-09-2007, 02:01 PM
Ben

Lay a little low for now and wait for winter to even the score.

Park outside so it can soak up all the cold. Heck I wouldn't even plug it in just so high idle kicks in and hopefully the 3cyl drop.

Repeat as necessary or until you cant stand it.

Another option.

If you know what neighbor it is.......go talk to them. Crazy, I know.

Explain to them the deal, you realize your truck's motor isn't an import 4 cyl, and that you DO take other's into consideration when leaving in the morning. You DO make an honest effort with your routine to keep things as quiet as resonably possible out of consideration of your fellow neighbor.

Take em for a ride. Majority of people have no idea what a diesel pickup is capable of.

Who knows? What can it hurt? They might get a big kick out of it.

If that fails, resort to my first thought.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Ben
Lay a little low for now and wait for winter to even the score.

Park outside so it can soak up all the cold. Heck I wouldn't even plug it in just so high idle kicks in and hopefully the 3cyl drop.

Repeat as necessary or until you cant stand it.

Another option.

If you know what neighbor it is.......go talk to them. Crazy, I know.

Explain to them the deal, you realize your truck's motor isn't an import 4 cyl, and that you DO take other's into consideration when leaving in the morning. You DO make an honest effort with your routine to keep things as quiet as resonably possible out of consideration of your fellow neighbor.

Take em for a ride. Majority of people have no idea what a diesel pickup is capable of.

Who knows? What can it hurt? They might get a big kick out of it.

If that fails, resort to my first thought.
If your resenable and even have a muffler on the truck, id tell em to go fist them selves.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by AggieJustin
Sounds like you've got an oversensitive neighbor with a close friend on the police force. If you're no louder than stock and being courteous while driving in the area, I wouldn't worry about it. Unless they can quote some hard numbers that you have to violate, loud is just subjective.
x2! loud is subjective. but the decibel is an objective way of controlling it. if you have a muffler and the cop isnt telling you the decibel number your truck is making and comparing that to what the law states than theres nothing.

one particular neighborhood i lived in i had people telling me to slow down, but the fact is i never sped down their street, but they assume speed with noise and these trucks are loud. and by 25-30mph ive shifted 3 gears and to others it comes across as racing.

maybe contact the police department to inquire what exactly the rules are and why you were pulled over. and make a record of it.

it just sucks youre trying to be nice, but that has to happen. but their side of it probably thinks youre gunning it and making noise on purpose not understanding its just a loud truck.

all else fails, trade it in for a top fuel dragster.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:27 PM
Banned

i realize that canadian laws are different here. but here, they cannot tow it because he thinks its too loud. is he talking exhaust loud, or timing rattle loud? the exhaust you know you can fix, the engine sounds you cannot, as you know.
if it were me, i would continue to be the good courteous neighbour() that you are, and it probably will go away. and then you can wait until he needs a jumpstart or a pull out of a ditch, and you can say no.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tell your neighbor it could be worse, they could live next to me .
Old 08-09-2007, 03:00 PM
Banned

I feel uncomfortable coming home late at night somtimes because theres like 6 houses going up the same driveway and were the last one at the top, so I creep up as 'quiete' as possible, but the idle is louder than most other gas cars/trucks at WOT, lol. My nieghbors are cool though, one of them was the one who told me to get a cummins, lol. So the best advice from me would be to get to know most if not all ur neighbors so they feel comfortable telling you somthing (which they should anyway before calling the cops).
Old 08-09-2007, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Mike D
JD might be on to something here. Have a bombing party at your place. Find a mobile dyno so you can really get your point across.
Now this is the best idea so far. X2 on the burnout contest also.
Old 08-09-2007, 03:27 PM
Banned

You can only do so much, and from the sounds of it, you are doing what you can, start and get out ASAP. I do the same, light it up and right away idle down the street in 2ed to the stop sign and from there still take off slow. No complaints from anybody. Another person about 1 block away starts and lets his Powerstroke idle in his driveway for a full 15 minutes. It is a good thing that I can just barely hear it or I would burn it to the ground. Inconsiderate as ....
Old 08-09-2007, 03:40 PM

some ppl just cant make things easy. they are the ppl who should be put in a nutshouse with all the other drama queens
Old 08-09-2007, 03:42 PM

Well my neighbors must hate me since yesterday I left to nice patches of rubber in my court "testing" my "traction capability" with my programmer...... I got a good replacement, new neighbors!! My neighbors hate my truck, my roadrunner, the whole lot! But I told them that sound carries and I cant do anything about it. I am on my property so just deal with it. I cant help the fact that they go to bed at 8 o clock, she had the nerve to ask me to maybe park across the street and not in my own dang driveway! The nerve .
Old 08-09-2007, 03:46 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by torkmnstr
Well my neighbors must hate me since yesterday I left to nice patches of rubber in my court "testing" my "traction capability" with my programmer...... I got a good replacement, new neighbors!! My neighbors hate my truck, my roadrunner, the whole lot! But I told them that sound carries and I cant do anything about it. I am on my property so just deal with it. I cant help the fact that they go to bed at 8 o clock, she had the nerve to ask me to maybe park across the street and not in own dang driveway! The nerve .
Ask her to sleep across the street
Old 08-09-2007, 03:49 PM

sound good to me, since then not a word.
Old 08-09-2007, 03:53 PM
Banned

Dont plug her in and leave it outside. Then start her about a half hour before leaving and let her high idle in the driveway.
At least then the neighbors have something to complain about.
I leave at 4am and I let my truck idle with my high idle stick on, and I could care less what the neighbors or the police think.
I am still less dependant on foreign oil than my neighbor because I run a Bio mix.
You can also hollow or delete the mufflers (or buy a 12valve) and then see what they say, at least that way your doing something illegal.
Old 08-09-2007, 03:55 PM

Thank god I'm not the only one that thinks I can only do so much. Thanks everyone for listning to my early morning beef!!!

Quick Reply: 2001 Cummins = Too Loud Says Neighbour = Me GRRRR!!!