Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

2 say yes, 1 says no

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2004, 09:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think it mostly depends on the beating you plan on giving it, in my case a heck of a beating that is what depends on the parts you need to swap. If you drive it like you stole it you probably are gonna need to drop the big money and get the whole deal. If you granny it around your probably fine with just minor changes.

I looked at it that I put 2 trannies in locally TQ's and shift kits both times and rebuilds both died less then 10,000 KM later and were 2500 bucks a piece canadian. So I said well if these boys can't do it then I guess I had better go to someone that does CTD's for a living. Picked my vendor went all out and beat the crap out of my truck. No probs now and Im happy as can be.

You said though you plan to dump the truck right, well not much sense dumping money into something you plan to get rid of anyways right? If I was running a leased truck or something then I would't do anything other then a chip of some sort but if you own it and plan on keeing it then it maybe a good idea to spend the exta loot and keep yourself off the side of the highway.
Old 08-06-2004, 03:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by AlpineRAM
if you read around here most guys with problems describe themselves as just idling around and occasionally mashing it- the others whose trucks don't really know that there is something besides WOT seem to have less transmission troubles.

Most drivers with stock trannies I know get the habit to drive ightfooted until they are in OD lockup and then accelerate so the lockup does just not disengage. This puts the system to it's ultimate test IMHO.

That's why I think that the leakage stuff written by Bill K is valid.

AlpineRAM
Very interesting perception. I never thought of that.

Unfortunately, that's exactly how I drive my stock tranny. I take it easy until I'm in OD lockup, or just plan Drive lockup. Then I'll give it more fuel. I'll certainly jump on full boar when getting the freeway sometimes, but for the most part, I take it easy. Of course, I also have a stock fuel pump, so I doubt I'm hurting anything.
Old 08-07-2004, 02:26 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
If you are stock the "programming" of the TC lockup control and your torque output will match- the PCM will save your TC clutch from too much torque.
Add a different plate or the like- voila- the tranny starts to slip.

AlpineRAM