Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

2 Part thread I need a highpower alternator and balljoints

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2003, 08:01 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts
Re:2 Part thread I need a highpower alternator and balljoints

Jamie, suggest you take a drive to your local alternator repair shop. Ask them to take a look at your truck. They may have something on hand that will fit. Not only that, but it will probably be a heck of lot cheaper. If you go to a bigger alternator you may need to increase the wire size from the alternator. Remember, OEM wires are by design only barely large enough to carry the load.<br>When I was in Canada we had NAPA.<br>No suggerstions for ball joints.
Old 05-26-2003, 11:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HO alts are a good idea, still. The stock alt won't put out anywhere near 135A at idle. just depends on what you want to do and what problem you are trying to solve.<br><br>re: stock 135A breaker/link: not to worry: Just route a separate wire from the new alternator directly to the battery. put your own fusable link or breaker in there, as close as possible to the alternator, to protect the wire. The two wires (your new one and the stock one) will appear in parallel to the alternator output, for charging purposes. They will work together just fine. <br><br>re: stock wire not supporting the new Alt: not to worry, as you'll be putting in a new wire anyway, and can put any size you want in there. A short 8 or 10 gauge wire can support a very very large alternator indeed. just leave the stock wiring in there -- it supports the electrical system in the stock truck. your stereo (or other high powered accessories) doesn't use this wire anyway.<br><br>re: alternator rebuild shops: this is a viable alternative, but beware and be careful who you choose. Its an easy thing to have your 135A alt &quot;re-wound&quot; (nothing more than installing new stator windings with more turns). This can result in an incremental increase in alternator output, especially at idle. But a real HO alternator will have a beefier rotor, brushes, and a regulator. check out the PowerMaster HO alt for Chrysler. If the bolt pattern fits, then you're good for 170A I think.<br><br>The PowerMaster alts typically have the OEM housing, but have better brushes and a better rotor. If all you do is &quot;re-wind&quot; (put in a different stator windings) you risk overheating and stress to the other major components in the alt.
Old 05-26-2003, 11:59 AM

Cool Got air? How about a welder next like one of these:<br>It also comes with 175 amp alt.<br><br>http://www.premierpowerwelder.com/specs/PP175.html<br><br>Malcolm
Old 05-27-2003, 08:26 AM

Malcolm does this alternator direct bolt onto our trucks?
Old 05-27-2003, 10:30 AM

I think that they do. I have not read much about them other than what has been in 4X4 mags. <br><br>I hear that they also produce 110V DC power enought to run light bulbs, drills and othe electrical motors but because it is not AC power it will fry anything like a TV or ????<br><br><br>Malcolm