Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

2" coil spring lift

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2003, 12:11 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Re:2" coil spring lift

I did the D25s, and I wish I wouldn't have torn apart the front end myself. Now I have a sympathetic engine vibration that won't go away. I ruined my track bar and it just generally didn't go well.

So now I have the D25s, the matching Bilsteins (great ride), and the DT bar. I like the overall look and feel, except that cab resonance. I have yet to get my truck aligned, so we'll see if that helps.

Raising the front will throw off a LOT of things that the factory has dialed in just so. You TOE-IN will be off, since the lift raises the point of connection on the tie rods, so it pulls in the front of the wheels.
Your steering wheel will be off center, because the lift requires that drag link to be slightly longer to remain centered. It's easy to adjust with the link.
Your caster will also be off, since the lift slightly rotates the top of the axle tubes towards the front. Thus, you will need to increase positive caster to compensate. You lose positive caster with the lift, although not much. It's hard to have too much positive caster.

If you want more info on alignment terms, try here:http://www.artsautomotive.com/thealignmentstory.htm

Justin
Old 11-21-2003, 12:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Either I didnt make myself clear, or I am really confused.

I was just talking about the poly spacers you can put in the top of your existing springs which give 2" of lift.

i was just wondering if shocks 2" longer are needed. and how hard it is to put these spacers in.
Old 11-21-2003, 01:04 PM

I have longer shocks with mine. I was told I needed them? didnt matter to me anyway. I needed all new shocks. Once I got it all down right though it wasnt to hard to install them. I needed to use a bottle jack and macphearson strut spring compressors though to get the job done right. I think they kit would have been better if it had studs though insted of bolts. Lineing things up without the studs was a pain in the old butt.
Old 11-21-2003, 03:46 PM

I installed 2" TC spacers and ran them for about a month before I got rid of them and put the D25s in (that's not your question, so I won't get into that). During that month, the stock shocks topped out twice, both times while running down the freeway. When I pulled the spacers out and put in D25s, I put new longer shocks because I doubt the stockers would have lasted much longer.

As far as doing it yourself goes, I've heard it's not that bad if you have the right tools. Somebody here should be able to type you out some detailed instructions. I had a shop do mine because I didn't have the time or place to do it.
Old 11-21-2003, 06:33 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also had 2" TC spacers in for about a month.
Kept the factory shocks.

I don't think they ever bottomed out while I had that setup.
I was driving extra carefully though, as I had a tire rub problem,
which is why I no longer have the spacers.

Everything I've seen says you don't need new shocks with 2 inch spacers.

phox