Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

1st performance upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 08:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st performance upgrade

Ok I looked at everybody else's setups and I am confused now so many setups and different products

I am sure this has been beat to death but I am just curious in what order performance mods should be made. I am going to go the way of twin turbos
(oh and put things in idiot terms for me, not new to diesel just new to hot rod diesel) I want something that I can drive to work every day and if I feel like it just jumping in my truck and driveing to Alaska I dont have to worry about something breaking on me.

I figure just from reading

Also where and what do I get to keep from blowing a head gasket?

1st gauges ( but what kind, and how many? )
2nd clutch (prob 13" SBC South bend clutch)
3rd AFE stage 2 intake or BHAF
4th injectors? (what brand and size and who makes mach's)
5th some type of box? or 2 boxes (dont have a clue which is best to go with
or what is stackable, or how to work them once they are stacked)
6th Twin Turbos (From who and what type)
and.......Intercooler? water injector(no clue)? or what else????????

equals
500hp or more

So much stuff how the hell do you know it all and keep it all understandable
Old 11-10-2006, 09:12 PM

Also where and what do I get to keep from blowing a head gasket?
headstuds
1st gauges ( but what kind, and how many? )fuel psi,EGT,boost
2nd clutch (prob 13" SBC South bend clutch) double disk
4th injectors? (what brand and size and who makes mach's)mach 4 to 6's(150-220hp)
http://www.performancedieselwarehouse.com/793380.html
5th some type of box? or 2 boxes (dont have a clue which is best to go with Smarty and TST power max3 comp
6th Twin Turbos (From who and what type) BDpower sells a niceTT kit for 450hpto 650hp for a reasonable price.

and.......Intercooler? water injector(no clue)? or what else????????
you dont need an intercooler, water/meth is nice to cool down egt but you have a better chance of blowing a HG unless you get some headstuds(ARP)
equals
500hp or more

do a search on here for the products listed and you will have reading for hours.
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...powered+trucks
check this thread out, tons of info.

dieselfan
Old 11-10-2006, 09:21 PM

Thanks
where can I buy the head studs from?(ARP)

Also about what do you think my HP is now with my current setup around 300?

Also off subject but I love Lake Charles My ex G-friend's mother lives there. My fav place to eat is either Cajun Charlies or Gene Lafiete (not sure on the spelling)
Old 11-10-2006, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by quads4_life
Thanks
where can I buy the head studs from?(ARP)

Also about what do you think my HP is now with my current setup around 300?

Also off subject but I love Lake Charles My ex G-friend's mother lives there. My fav place to eat is either Cajun Charlies or Gene Lafiete (not sure on the spelling)

just about any performance parts store has them, Jegs,summit,PDW,pure dieselpower.

yea lake charles is alright, its alittle crowed with hurricane victims right now. theres not enough diesel heads for me though.

jean lafitte(i dont know either) is now closed. cajun charlies is still in operation, i think.

i imagine your hp is a little under that, not sure though, someone will chime in.

good luck with your build up, your in the right place.

dieselfan
Old 11-10-2006, 09:34 PM
Banned

FWIW, I would put intake a little lower on your list. The stock steups for intake and exhaust will be good for a good bit more power over stock. If you are doing it as you have money (not all at once), it makes more sense to me to do stuff the you feel an increase in power from first. (As EGT's allow of course, thus the gauges...)
Old 11-10-2006, 09:38 PM

I know I am a PITA but what type of gasket or O rings should I use to replace my stock setup when I get the new head studs.
Old 11-10-2006, 10:07 PM

I know I am a PITA but what type of gasket or O rings should I use to replace my stock setup when I get the new head studs.

.10 or .20 marine gasket(PDW has them). then either o-ring the head or fire-ring the head(do a search on each to get a description of them).
personally i would just stud the head without taking it off, so you dont have a problem with the o-ring or fire-rings sealing. i think you can get away with 55-60psi by just studding the head.JMO

dieselfan
Old 11-10-2006, 10:18 PM

I'd move getting a box/tuner ahead of a set of sticks. If you go with bigger sticks, it'll push your turbo past 21 psi, ECM will see that and defuel the engine. Need a boost fooler to keep this from doing this, and getting a box/tuner would be the better way IMO.
Old 11-10-2006, 10:39 PM

OK How does this look?

1st gauges ( but what kind, and how many? )fuel psi,EGT,boost

2nd clutch (prob 13" SBC South bend clutch) double disk

3rd and 1/2 I will prob redo my exhaust just for something different mabey stacks

4th some type of box? or 2 boxes (dont have a clue which is best to go with Smarty and TST power max3 comp

5th injectors? (what brand and size and who makes mach's)mach 4 to 6's(150-220hp)
http://www.performancedieselwarehouse.com/793380.html

6th Twin Turbos (From who and what type) BDpower sells a niceTT kit for 450hpto 650hp for a reasonable price.
Old 11-10-2006, 10:40 PM
Registered

OK How does this look?
..........looks just like what dieselfan said!
Old 11-10-2006, 10:44 PM
Registered

heres what i would do....

air filter
exhaust
dd sbc
sps 62
mach 4's
tst comp
smarty

That would take care of it for a while, then i would stick a cam in it with a rebuilt head & o rings & studs.

Then id throw a b2 under the sps 62 and have a hot truck
Old 11-10-2006, 10:48 PM
Banned

The new plan sounds sweet!
Originally Posted by Tate
I'd move getting a box/tuner ahead of a set of sticks. If you go with bigger sticks, it'll push your turbo past 21 psi, ECM will see that and defuel the engine. Need a boost fooler to keep this from doing this, and getting a box/tuner would be the better way IMO.
Man I love my 12v.
Old 11-11-2006, 08:45 AM

Ok hopefully the last newb stupid question.
Who makes the sps 62 and the b2 turbos?

Also I am still on the stock pumps I am waiting on them to go out I have 76k miles on them now so when they go out what type of fueling system should I go with and where should I get it from?

Thanks for all the help and info I really like this site.
Old 11-11-2006, 11:25 AM

Your drop in k&n will support 500, but sux in the filtration department. Dunno why two people recommended a dd when a sbc Fe single disk is rated at 550.

And to answer your question sps and ps are phatshaft series turbos from Industrial Injection. I got mine from forum member Jetpilot aka Doug from Pdw.

I think you could easily substitute a hot juice for guages, smarty, and tst as well as subsutitute a Fe for the dual disk. Also a 64 series turbo could be used instead of the 62 mentioned.

But you already have a va and exhaust so start with the guages and fuel system then put in a clutch and then you'll be ready for injectors and a turbo. Then stud the head and add a fueling box if you still want more =P

As far as fueling mods I'm pretty happy with the fp I get with the vulcan relocation, but fass pumps last longer. The ultimate reliable solution would be a mechanical fuel pump such as f-1 fuel, rasp, or mitusa.
Old 11-11-2006, 12:47 PM
Registered

phatty, i like the DD so i can slip it doing burnouts, launches, sled pulling etc etc. and i said the 62 so he could drop the b2 under it for twins

also price your stuff from gus aka redstreak on here. he's with farmboys diesel and a pretty good ole boy.

Quick Reply: 1st performance upgrade