Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

1st - 2nd shift problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 12:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1st - 2nd shift problems

I have developed a really strange shift after installing a new ats v/b. It was in for a week before it started. When I am light on the pedal...it takes off in 1st and shifts no problem to second but almost immediately there is a weird flare and it feels like I am in 3rd. Checked with a scanner (modis) and it says I am still in 2nd but if I manually shift it down to second from drive I can feel it downshift. If I take of with the selector in 2nd...it shifts fine and pulls good but if it takes off with the selector in drive I have the strange shift. And I feel like it does not pull as hard as it does if I shift manual. I installed the vavle body assistant tonight but it made no difference. I was told it corrects the problem of starting out in 3rd gear....which she does not do.

Sorry for the long post but I really want to get this ironed out so I can tap the pump.

I also put her back to stock.....no difference

Thanks

the Tree
Old 04-03-2007, 09:32 AM

....bump.....
Old 04-03-2007, 03:08 PM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
I suggest that you take a pressure gauge to the governor pressure test port. That way you'll see whether the governor pressure is OK and rising linearly with the vehicle speed as it should or not. If not you can look in with the tester and see whether the PCM sees the governor pressure jumping around and having weird values that don't correspond with the gauge- if this is the case you can look into getting a new governor pressure sensor and solenoid. Before changing them take a good look at all the electrical connectors between tranny and PCM, sometimes a funky connection will make them act up.
The shift flare from 2 to 3 sounds not nice- like a lose 2nd gear band (front band) or a shift timing issue ( could be a defective VB) - so while at it check band adjustment.
The band adjustment won't influence whether the tranny wants to shift into the gear, that's the job of the governor pressure etc, but it will make the gear applied or not at the correct timing.

HTH

AlpineRAM
Old 04-04-2007, 12:32 AM

quick update....the 1st-2nd flare is gone thanks to someone who mentioned the "TV" cable.......it was completely off the shaft....installed and "tightened' it....no more flare

however, I still have a weird shift @ 80kph...feels like overdrive and if I turn the O/D off...she shifts fine. I was wondering if it could be the 4th gear hunt I have read about.

I really want to thank this site and its members for all the help.....from giving me the taste of diesel power, to emptying my wallet, to helping me get .this old girl ironed out.......she is almost there.....the pump will be tapped soon.

the Tree