Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

1800rpm shudder stops when Edge EZ is unplugged.

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2005, 12:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1800rpm shudder stops when Edge EZ is unplugged.

I have been lurking here for a year or so and have a question. I have a shudder when rpm's move through 1800 to 2000 rpm under load. The truck shudders pretty violently. Its been in the shop (independent) for a week and they have checked tranny (no codes, fluids clean), differential and transfer case (both clean fluids and looking good. They also sent my driveline out to be balanced thinking that was the problem. Shop found it out of tolerence and straighted it yet still have the shudder problem. On a whim I unplugged by Edge EZ and the shudder when away. What's up? I really do not want to give up the power and driveability offered by the EZ and in a couple of weeks I was going to have the RV275s installed for better mileage and towing.
Please help me with a suggestion. Some good dodge minds are working on this problem. Thanks.
Jan
Old 09-10-2005, 02:49 AM

unplug EZ - shudder goes away, unplug EZ - less torque. Torque converter shudder due to slippage? Just a thought.
Old 09-10-2005, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by WildBill
unplug EZ - shudder goes away, unplug EZ - less torque. Torque converter shudder due to slippage? Just a thought.
could be the converter... 1500 did the same thing at those RPM's with no engine mods and it was the trans..

or it could be that the EZ has gone bad as that is known to happen as well.
Old 09-10-2005, 09:21 AM

your converter is on its way out...or you are having line pressure issues. Try to service the tranny and have the pressure turned up. It may be too late though. Mine did the same thing and by the time I got to it...well you can see my sig

The EZ is just adding more torque which is making the tc strain as someone mentioned above
Old 09-10-2005, 10:35 AM

I had the tranny serviced

I had the tranny serviced by a very good trans house here in Reno. They said the fluids looked clean and no tranny codes. They suspect a possible TC problem but nothing difinitive.
Old 09-10-2005, 11:00 AM

It could be your posi slipping in your rear end. I had a customors truck do same thing .He wanted the trans gone through Ihad the drive shaft redone and still did the same thing ended up putting a new posi clutchs in the thirdmember.Good luck.Just something else to check if it is not your convertor
Dale
Old 09-10-2005, 12:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Filmhog.....what you are going to find is when you remove your transmission is that the torque convertor will have the prettiest blue/purple ring around the front outer facing edge. You've cooked your torque convertor lockup clutch. If you really want it to rattle your teeth out put a trailer behind your truck and hook up that EZ.

Perkins....I find it inconceivable that sure grip clutches could cause a "shudder" at 1800 rpm while driving straight ahead. Now a shudder turning a corner, yes.
Old 09-10-2005, 12:28 PM

They can do that under a hard pull.The one I had trouble in was a 1996.And a Ford dana70.
Dale
Old 09-10-2005, 12:35 PM
Banned

Torque converter lock up clutch is on it's way out, it will just get more noticeable especially when towing, will start to rev up higher then you'll lose lockup altogether. Better call one of the big h.p tranny shops on this board very soon.
Old 09-10-2005, 12:37 PM
JAF

Mine did the exact same thing. And then the tranny burnt.
Old 09-10-2005, 02:59 PM

Torque Converter Code??

Sound like my Torque converter is the gremlin. I'll have that checked. Trouble is, there are no codes from the tranny. Does the TC give a code when it starts to not lock up or exhibit the issues as described in above posts?
Old 09-10-2005, 03:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No codes will be thrown. My 01 did the same thing pulling my race rig. It was still under warranty at 32K, and I was in a hurry, so I threw another stock one in. I now have 82K with no probs.
Old 09-10-2005, 07:12 PM

get yourself a very small round mirror and a flashlight, pull off the inspection cover, and look at the front of the converter, it will be discolored bluish if the converter has been slipping.
Old 09-11-2005, 09:58 AM

yes its your TQ.......i had a ATS SIngle Disk and after i got my twins and a few other bombs she started to shutter..........had her replaced by Dave's Custom Triple Disk and im loving it.......Dave opened up the ATS converter and found PEACES of the stator teeth bounching around in the converter............told me i put to much power to her... and destroyed the unit..........Dave sent me a triple disk that he had for shows and such and sent it to me and had me go dyno my truck and when i dynoed and sent in the papers he built my current converter custom based off the dyno sheet and MAN this thing rocks... wish they came with it stock makes a world of difference........i can stop at the bottom of my driveway and idle up the hill as before i had to give her a little diesel to get up the dang hill.........