Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

1693 Fault Code

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 11:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1693 Fault Code

Anyone have any info on a 1693 fault code?
Old 04-12-2005, 12:26 PM

It is a companion code that means the ecm has a code strored in it. you can go to autozone and have it read there...
Old 04-12-2005, 02:32 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Or it means there was a code at one time, it got cleared on it's own, but the 1693 was left behind.

Autozone should be able to see if there is another one present, or clear the 1693 for you.

As long as you aren't seeing any problems, go for it.
If you are seeing problems, there are some codes that Autozones scanners can't see,
only the Dealer's fancy schmanzy proprietary code reader can see.

phox
Old 04-12-2005, 02:41 PM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by phox_mulder
Or it means there was a code at one time, it got cleared on it's own, but the 1693 was left behind.

Autozone should be able to see if there is another one present, or clear the 1693 for you.

As long as you aren't seeing any problems, go for it.
If you are seeing problems, there are some codes that Autozones scanners can't see,
only the Dealer's fancy schmanzy proprietary code reader can see.

phox
Does anybody have an example of what codes only DC's scanner can detect?......Nobody seems to know.....I question if this is really true or if the code readers places like Autozone are using are not 100% OBDII compliant....I have come across several code readers that are not 100% OBDII compliant and they may not retrieve OBDII DTC's but I'm not certain.

I have a OBDII code reader and it only retrieved a 1693 DTC.....I cleared it and it never returned.
Old 04-12-2005, 10:23 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How about this reasoning:

The Dodge PCM is ODBII compliant, meeting the passenger vehicle requirement.

The Cummins ECM isn't so much, as it's a medium duty engine, not a "passenger car" engine.

You connect your basic code reader to the connector, this connects it to the PCM.
The PCM is responsible for storing and passing all the codes thrown by the myriad of computers controlling everything from the airbags, antilock brakes, automatic transmission, instrument cluster, lights, etc.

Sometimes the ECM doesn't communicate well with the PCM, hence the mysterious 1693 code:
"Hey, ECM here I have a code but you won't understand it, so lets just say I have a code and leave it at that."
Same communication errors might exist between the other computers and the PCM.

Now you have the Dodge DRB Scan Tool, specifically made to communicate with the PCM as well as the ECM, even the individual computers themselves, not relying on the PCM to translate it all.
Hence it's prohibitive cost (thousands of $$) compared the the relatively cheap off the shelf code readers (couple hundred $$)

I sleep better thinking that's how it works.

phox
Old 04-13-2005, 07:28 AM

you can go to autozone and have it read there...
Beware guys there are states that don't have a Autozone to read codes. As far as I know there isn't a Autozone in Idaho anywhere!

But I do have a nice neighbor that lets me barrow his code reader when I need it!

But this a just a reminder that not all of us have a Autozone in the state.
Old 04-13-2005, 08:36 AM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by phox_mulder
How about this reasoning:

The Dodge PCM is ODBII compliant, meeting the passenger vehicle requirement.

The Cummins ECM isn't so much, as it's a medium duty engine, not a "passenger car" engine.

You connect your basic code reader to the connector, this connects it to the PCM.
The PCM is responsible for storing and passing all the codes thrown by the myriad of computers controlling everything from the airbags, antilock brakes, automatic transmission, instrument cluster, lights, etc.

Sometimes the ECM doesn't communicate well with the PCM, hence the mysterious 1693 code:
"Hey, ECM here I have a code but you won't understand it, so lets just say I have a code and leave it at that."
Same communication errors might exist between the other computers and the PCM.

Now you have the Dodge DRB Scan Tool, specifically made to communicate with the PCM as well as the ECM, even the individual computers themselves, not relying on the PCM to translate it all.
Hence it's prohibitive cost (thousands of $$) compared the the relatively cheap off the shelf code readers (couple hundred $$)

I sleep better thinking that's how it works.

phox
....Well, a good nights sleep is important!

To some degree, that does make sense since the code reader only communicates with the PCM and not the ECM...