Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

13 in. SBC review

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2003, 12:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
13 in. SBC review

Like most bombers in their right mind end up doing I finallly replaced my &quot;stock&quot; clutch. I was thinking, SERIOUSLY, about going with... please be easy on me... a Centerforce but at the last minute decided against it. I decided to go with the 13 inch South Bend OFE ;D. It was more than I wanted to spend, at first , but after hours of searching and talkin to Rod I bit the bullet and forked out the dough . Any how me and a tractor buddy of mine went after ripping out the &quot;stock&quot; clutch. We reached the center in under 4 hours with few problems and were pretty happy with the time we were making, all the while he was telling me how I should have saved my $$ and went with the Centerforce. Well we got to the very middle and pulled the clutch out. Much to my surprise I pulled out a fairly new Centerforce . Any how I cracked up and was able to laugh in his face.<br> Guess its a good thing I didnt try to &quot;save&quot; my money and go with the Centerforce .<br> More or less if anybody out there is trying to avoid going with the best, take my advice ..... dont! The SBC is the smoothest clutch Ive ever felt and I couldnt be more happy.<br> Wheels
Old 05-15-2003, 12:23 PM

Re:13 in. SBC review

[quote author=dsljunkie link=board=7;threadid=14772;start=0#138518 date=1053018523]<br>Like most bombers in their right mind end up doing I finallly replaced my &quot;stock&quot; clutch. I was thinking, SERIOUSLY, about going with... please be easy on me... a Centerforce but at the last minute decided against it. I decided to go with the 13 inch South Bend OFE ;D. It was more than I wanted to spend, at first , but after hours of searching and talkin to Rod I bit the bullet and forked out the dough . Any how me and a tractor buddy of mine went after ripping out the &quot;stock&quot; clutch. We reached the center in under 4 hours with few problems and were pretty happy with the time we were making, all the while he was telling me how I should have saved my $$ and went with the Centerforce. Well we got to the very middle and pulled the clutch out. Much to my surprise I pulled out a fairly new Centerforce . Any how I cracked up and was able to laugh in his face.<br> Guess its a good thing I didnt try to &quot;save&quot; my money and go with the Centerforce .<br> More or less if anybody out there is trying to avoid going with the best, take my advice ..... dont! The SBC is the smoothest clutch Ive ever felt and I couldnt be more happy.<br> Wheels<br>[/quote]<br><br>read my sig :'( :'(
Old 05-15-2003, 01:05 PM

I starting slipping my clutch about two months after I bought my truck and began Bombing. I bought a Centerforce and threw it in there. A couple weeks later, I started looking over the &quot;stock&quot; clutch and figured out it was a TST clutch. Needless to say, the Centerforce didn't last long. I wondered why my truck chattered so much when I hooked it to the gooseneck for the first time and tried to back up with a load, now I know.
Old 05-16-2003, 07:41 AM

CENTERFORCE is the DEVIL. &gt; Mine lasted a month and cost 600$ bucks I think might have been 500$ I hope by this time next year to have a SBC pulling clutch and imputshaft for my 5spd, <br>DM01
Old 05-16-2003, 12:50 PM

[quote author=dodgeman01 link=board=7;threadid=14772;start=0#138795 date=1053088897]<br>CENTERFORCE is the DEVIL. &gt; Mine lasted a month and cost 600$ bucks I think might have been 500$ I hope by this time next year to have a SBC pulling clutch and imputshaft for my 5spd, <br>DM01<br>[/quote]<br><br>You better start digging more holes then Aaron!
Old 05-16-2003, 03:09 PM

There are lots of after-market clutches, including OEM supposed replacements and even a copy being sold as a South Bend Clutch in Utah. I have just installed my 4th South Bend Clutch a Twin Disk, not because of previously faulty clutches, but because of my need to put the power to the ground as my HP &quot;bombing&quot; has gotten out of hand. . I was fortunate enough to hook-up with Peter of South Bend several years ago, and purchased his first proto-type for my 2001 6-sp. Since that time, Peter has kept pace with the increased demands of our need for more power, by designing clutches for different power levels and costs, always with the consumer and service in mind. Anyone who has dealt with Peter, or purchased a clutch from him, will attest his interest is always in the consumers service and satisfaction. We are very fortunate South Bend Clutches is as active as they are in our Dodge upgrades, as this is a small part of their primary business.

The main purpose of this response is, whatever, you decide to do as far as clutch replacements, make sure you know what you are getting as far as performance claims, warranty and service should something go wrong. If someone claims to be selling SBC clutches for a price that's too good to be true, ask to see the packaging, and if still not satisfied, call Peter to see if that individual is an authorized installer/re-seller.

Steve