Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

13" flywheel upgrade questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 12:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
13" flywheel upgrade questions

Ok I got a bigger input shaft for my nv4500 and I have a 13"ceramic button clutch and pressure plate. I also have a 1 piece flywheel but its super thick to fit a g56!! I need a thinner flywheel to fit in there. or do I??? If I get lucky enough to find a used fly for a 5600 that would be ideal but then would I need a starter spaceror not??? Argh! I heard south bend makes a fly that uses the 13" and no need for starter spacer with 4500 and I heard that I need a space with a stock but I'm not sure
Old 04-16-2011, 12:20 PM

I hope that makes sense! My brain hurts to think about it. I also have the option to machine the g56 flywheel to fit where I need it to but trying to get all the dimensions will be a pain. My good friend is a machinists so I can get a deal on labor. I'm trying to make use of the parts I have but it would be easier to buy the stuff but I'm a lil low on cash atm lol
Old 04-19-2011, 09:25 AM

I'm just going to tear into it and figure it out myself I guess
Old 04-19-2011, 11:17 AM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The flywheel from the newer G56 engines will need a different spacer or engine adapter IIRC as the starter is oriented in a different location than the NV4500 series engines.
Old 04-27-2011, 01:35 AM

i had my friend at the machine shop whittle on it for 3 hrs, threw him 100 bux and he was happy! i checked it all out real good before and saw what i needed to do. it was like a inch too thick! he is excelent on the manual lathe. he machined the engine side down only. we took all that off, he machined a new ring where it fits tight to the crankshaft, he made sure everything was within 1 thousandth of an inch. we had to remove the ring gear and machine the groove out away from the motor for the starter to engage correctly. i bought a new 1-3/8 input shaft for my 5 speed (: i wish to produce 500 rwhp which is what the clutch i have is supposed to be good for. i am going to put the wheel on the motor and make sure everything checks out, im going to measure the runout just to be safe. make sure ring gear is on there good enough lol! we made that 1 thousandths tighter than it was before. i did notice that the flywheel straight from valair was running out 5 thousandths on the lathe! anyways if everything checks out then i will have the face surface ground and use it! my flywheel has the heavy duty pilot ball bearing which i think i will like. i also noticed that the flywheel was made of cast iron. i thought it would be made of better steel?? what are the stock flywheels made of?? i was looking at the machine marks on the stock flywheel and they looked smooth and even. but the valair flywheel doesnt have that its just kind of hazy and has a texture kind of like a chalk board or something. he said it was because he was using a slow feed and the stock flywheel was machined in a cnc with a very fast feed. guess i cant argue with that. i just hope it works for me! cant wait to drive it with a clutch that will hang on!
Old 04-27-2011, 01:41 AM

the truck is my 1/2 ton ford in my sig! i just bought a garrett bb turbo and im going to compound it with a hx55! top is 13cm with large wastegate and bottom is like 24cm housing non wg. overdrive, 2.72 gears, and 4,000 rpms?? how fast will it go? i know it runs 110 at 2600 rpms lol. i dont want to drive it that fast.. no way! itll probly run 180 if it would stay on 4 wheels. but im not chancing it!
Old 04-27-2011, 01:48 AM

i looked at an online calculator and it seemed very accurate. i punched in at 70 im running 1600 and it was dead on. i punched in 110 and it was dead on with my tach at 2600. i punched in 175 mph and it was at 4100!! but im not driving it that fast no way! 110 os fast i wana go!
Old 04-27-2011, 10:45 AM

I bolted flywheel up there and its barely rubbing the starter! I'm going to grind down the starter and see if I can make it clear. I only need a few thousandth for crank endplay when I push the clutch right?? I'll see how it turns out