Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

12v pump mods or fuel plate?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2005, 08:18 AM
DRM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
12v pump mods or fuel plate?

Ok, I checked a local shop and *again* they tried to tell me that fuel plates are junk, and re-working the pump is the right way to get the big gains.

I have been pretty happy with my #10 plate for a year or so now, and find it hard to believe that all of the other success I hear about with plates they are that bad for the truck, or that the pump mods are so much better.

So what is the deal? Is this just one shop's opinion? Are fuel plates the "cheap and easy" way to get more power?

BTW - they suggested I have the pump gone through for them to tweak, and they said to pull the plate out and go bakc to a stock one...

Thoughts?
Old 06-27-2005, 08:32 AM

I previously posted about this. My local shop is the same way i think they charge about 150 or so to do whatever it is they do. I know that they just dont mess with the plate they go in the pump. And they seem to have more power than a plate can do. The guy that owned my truck before me had it done at that shop. When i got it i took off the AFC housing and it had a stock plate. I ground the plate to a #0 and didnt seem to notice any power difference so yes regardless of what is said there is something they do. Its not the timing cause mine is stock.

I am still trying to figure out what they do but they are probably telling you the truth about them tweaking the pump.
Old 06-27-2005, 08:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Perhaps

they mean that they want to "time" the pump, which usually makes it burn fuel at a certain time and get better performance out of the truck, Also they want to probably mess with ur AFC to gt you more power, as well. I have not heard of plates being junk, Infact the right plate for your application can make a world of difference, I play with three different plates for my truck, Banks, 100, and a zero, You can feel the differences between the three even without a GSk or timing that i desperately need right now. Other than that i cannot think of another solution..

Best

Tx
Old 06-27-2005, 08:42 AM
DRM

Well, the price they quoted me was closer to $450, and that was assuming no parts needed replacing (which they said @ almost 300k, mine would likely need some parts replaced). He mentioned something about matching the flow of the pump, and setting it for a specific RPM. He said that the fuel plates did not deliver fuel at a set RPM (this part comfused me) and that you never know when a fuel plate will deliver all that extra fuel.

Oh, almost forgot. I asked them about setting the timing on my truck, or at least checking it to make sure it has not slipped - and they said "just rev it up, you can tell if it is timed right", also something about "if you see lots fo smoke when you rev it up, the timing is off".

I guess comments like this just confuse me
Old 06-27-2005, 08:53 AM

Originally posted by TxDiesel007
Perhaps

they mean that they want to "time" the pump, which usually makes it burn fuel at a certain time and get better performance out of the truck, Also they want to probably mess with ur AFC to gt you more power, as well. I have not heard of plates being junk, Infact the right plate for your application can make a world of difference, I play with three different plates for my truck, Banks, 100, and a zero, You can feel the differences between the three even without a GSk or timing that i desperately need right now. Other than that i cannot think of another solution..

Best

Tx
No no Tx they do not time it i know about the pump timing that is the only way to time it. Anyway they do not time it at all when they got done with mine it was 12.5* stock and the AFC isn't that much power it feels like they put on a comp box or something.
I dont know what it is.

It sounds to me like there wanting to bench flow yours which i dont know alot about but i think that is the way to do it.

I am not sure what he means about all that maybe you should do some checking around.
Old 06-27-2005, 09:00 AM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I think it may be time to find another shop.......I would be concerned about some of the things this shop is saying to you.....they are demonstrating their lack of knowledge - especially with the P7100. "Rev it up, you can tell if the timing is right." And, "you never know when the fuel plate will deliver extra fuel"?!?!?! The plate IS your fueling curve!!! It is the part of the governor that tells the pump when and how much fuel to add.

If you would like to add some additional timing advance over and above the stock setting, you will need to have the pump timed properly with the correct tools. Often, when the pump as slipped into a retarded state, the motor will shake a bit more than normal and not run as smooth as it should around 1200 - 1300 rpm, but this is by no means an accurate way to determine proper timing.
Old 06-27-2005, 09:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by dezlsmkr
No no Tx they do not time it i know about the pump timing that is the only way to time it. Anyway they do not time it at all when they got done with mine it was 12.5* stock and the AFC isn't that much power it feels like they put on a comp box or something.
I dont know what it is.
Definately... you are right

AFC is nothing but smoke control, and faster fuel delivery, as CTD nut said, the Curve on the plate is your fueling curve, it can be adjusted forward or back to increase or decrease fuel, IE power on a 12V, we all know that 12V have no comps, cept well yeah they do MINE FAILED!! But i dont know of any comps that are hooked to the fuel pump, if so then why do we have external adjustments and plates? I can agree most shops will not time a pump past the stock 12.5 degrees, So this is really adding up to be a mystery to me as well....

Tx
Old 06-27-2005, 09:57 AM
DRM

Originally posted by CTD NUT
I think it may be time to find another shop.......I would be concerned about some of the things this shop is saying to you.....they are demonstrating their lack of knowledge - especially with the P7100. "Rev it up, you can tell if the timing is right." And, "you never know when the fuel plate will deliver extra fuel"?!?!?! The plate IS your fueling curve!!! It is the part of the governor that tells the pump when and how much fuel to add.

If you would like to add some additional timing advance over and above the stock setting, you will need to have the pump timed properly with the correct tools. Often, when the pump as slipped into a retarded state, the motor will shake a bit more than normal and not run as smooth as it should around 1200 - 1300 rpm, but this is by no means an accurate way to determine proper timing.
That is the odd thing about this shop... I kept hearing relatively good things about them, but every time I go in there - I get this kind of answer. Seriously - around here, they are supposedly well known for being great at pump mods to get the power. Maybe their pump mod leaning is causing them to shun other mods? I dunno...

I did hear about another local shop I was not aware of, I may check them out and see what they have to offer.
Old 06-27-2005, 10:12 AM

it would probably help out to have the pump balance, i am sure after 300k or so it is getting worn a bit. but i am with the others, the shop doesn't sound a sharp as i would like to here from them. if you drop 500 bucks or so i would suggest you get a decent converter, it will make more of a differance than more fuel right now. and get that thing timed, that is free hp and miliage. mike
Old 06-27-2005, 10:20 AM

Originally posted by TxDiesel007

we all know that 12V have no comps, cept well yeah they do MINE FAILED!! But i dont know of any comps that are hooked to the fuel pump, if so then why do we have external adjustments and plates?

Tx
Yes i know there are no comps on a 12 valve. It was simply a comparison.
Old 06-27-2005, 10:23 AM

DRM,

I heard the same thing from my "local" diesel shop. Everytime I would mention something I had learned from our site he acted more like he did not like me. Alot of regular diesel (notice I do not say all) mechanics do not like that we try to learn about our trucks on our own. I think that they could probably get power out of our trucks in a differant way than we do, but is it a better way - only dyno emmision, mileage and drive testing could prove. One thing I am sure of is that their are more performance people doing things our way than their are doing internal pump mods to a pump that runs good and still gets good mileage. Bottom line - if a company does not treat me like it wants my business, no problem, they won't get it.

cheers to the DTR
just my .002 good luck
Old 06-30-2005, 12:22 AM
Banned

I know for a fact. The P-pumps do not need plates or even the arm that rides on the plate. there is a guy out here who does alot of 12 valve work mostly for himself. But for a friend he modded a pump and when he was done he handed him the pump with arm and a bag of parts and said " you dont need these extra parts." I kind of believe he removed the govenor system also.. The guy says his truck runs like a raped ape. This guy I am talking about really does know what he's doing, however it's like pulling teeth to get his secrets out. i guess thats why they are secrets..
I can not confirm the govenor removal...
Old 06-30-2005, 05:52 AM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The AFC, fuel plate, governor arm and related components are all just a series of throttle stops to limit and CONTROL power. You can remove these things and make much more power......but at a cost. Since you can no longer easily control egt's, the truck can be very difficult to drive safely without the risk of running excessive egt's and making a lot of smoke and forget about towing. Also, running without a plate will eventually cause that pin to shear on the governor. You can make the same power with the whole pump intact and within an operational governor system - but it takes some tuning......the easy way out is to just gut the pump.....but as we all know, more often than not, the easy way is usually not the best way.
Old 06-30-2005, 06:25 PM
Banned

Originally posted by CTD NUT
but as we all know, more often than not, the easy way is usually not the best way.
Good points.. But this easy way is powering one of the fastest trucks on the west coast..
Old 06-30-2005, 11:38 PM

the pin wouldn't shear if you removed the govenor arm!!! if they are leaving the plate stock are they leaving it in the same position. they could be sliding the plate foward,afc foward,starwheel foward and putting a set of dv's in it and maybe a govenor spring kit. internal mods on a pump like making the barrels and plungers bigger are big bucks alot more than $450. there aren't that many secrets out there about p-pumps anymore, these things have been around for 11years in our trucks i really doubt they know some secret. if they aren't going to tell you what there going to do to your truck. take it somewhere else