Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

12v Modifications - Injectors and Turbo - 400hp or more?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 03:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advance your timing swamp donkey! That makes a huge difference.

Eric
Old 11-08-2007, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Hammer
Dustin...
As John has said again the turbo you want for your budget is a HX40.I would strongly reccomend you have it pinned to ensure longevity and your piece of mind.Rammin On has been thrashing on hisPDR HX40 now for about 5-6 years and his ride does around 500 to the ground.And trust me when I say keith does not let Casper rest as he is always on the throttle.

Who could pin one, or could I do it? Any pictures of one that's done? Just wondering what is involved.

On exhausts...
One my 98 when it was a custom HX35 I ran a 4inch and loved the sound.It wasn't until I got a good buy on a 5" that I changed it over.I called the resident HP and forgot more than I will ever learn Cummins guru Rammin On out in his shop in Missouri about the step up.His exact words were WHY and that I would loose HP and raise the torque number as the exhaust would cool inside the pipe instead of flowing out.I laughed and amde a bet with him and promptly lost too.With no other changes in my truck I went back to the jet and lost 13hp and gained about 100 ft lbs of torque due to the bigger exhaust.Called Keith back and ate crow and still owe him a steak when I go visit sometime.4inch is all you need and as JP has said contact MBRP as their kits are very reasonably priced.If you want I know a guy out here who also stocks them and can sell you and ship one........Andy

I understand some of this, but dont understand the rest. I understand Rammin must know what he is talking about. And you lost 13hp, but gained 100 ft/lbs when switching from a 4" to 5" exhaust. What I dont understand is why that was necessarily a bad thing. Personally I would have thought I'd be willing to lose 13rwhp to gain 100 ft/lbs. Am I wrong? Also did you run a 5" turbo back or just from the down pipe on? I guess what I am asking is for some clarification and a few more details to help me understand.
Swamp_Donkey you dont have enough turbo for your fuel, sell your PDR HX40 to me and go bigger

-Dustin-
Old 11-08-2007, 05:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Dusten I have been down the same road myself and unlike the others who have advised you I very much disliked the Hx40 I thought it was very laggy and personaly did not like it at all. That being said you might like it a lot but if I were you I would save a little money and skip this step and buy a used s300 based turbo you would like it so much more.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:43 PM

My timing is at 15.5 how much more do you suggest? I have the original stock head gasket. Bought the truck new in 98. I have installed a water meth kit, but have not tried the meth yet. Going to dyno my truck this saturday. So I figure with my stock headgasket, advanced timing and meth it is going to blow my HG. Not a big deal other than the dyno is about 450 miles from home.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:02 PM

15.5 degrees is probably enough on the stock gasket with water shooting to it. Only thing I am lacking from you is the 370's, and Even though I can peg my 1500* gauge it definately takes a few seconds with the stock turbo. What kind of cruising EGT's do you see with the HX40. Flat ground at 60mph. It seems like most aftermarket turbos have high cruising EGT's on a 12 valve.

Eric
Old 11-08-2007, 10:08 PM

Cruising egt's are around 800. Very high for such a light load on the engine.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:39 PM
Banned

Swampy...
With what you need for timing and having the stock headgasket have you considered stepping down in plate size to lower egts and give the truck a better fuel curve?.Looking at TST's charts they do not even reccomend a 10plate for your year with a auto and the chrst highest is a 5plate.I know he has a 4 but I see its not listed anymore and its a nice deal.I ran one in my 96 2wd ext cab years ago and loved it.I will look around here I probably still have it somewhere.Its the only reason I can figure without watching the truck dyno.......Andy
Old 11-10-2007, 12:54 AM

http://store.pdrdiesel.com/products/...2-524-148.html

They are having a sale on their HX-40's... I hope it helps
Old 11-10-2007, 08:52 AM

Hammer, how about what I said on the HP vs TQ of the 5" pipe? Did I misunderstand you?

-Dustin-
Old 11-10-2007, 12:03 PM

I have the same set-up that you are looking at on my '94 and since the 3k GSWM (<- free mod BTW ) and I love it. I noticed when running stock rpms I needed to run the AFC spring a little more loose to help spool the turbo, but if I really needed to get going it was pretty useless cause I would immediately fog out the intersection and slowly accelerate. After the 3k GSWM I trimmed my pre-boost back to just a hair more than stock and WOW! Not too much problems toying with all the local ricers

I also tow with my truck quite a bit and it doesn't take much to get to that 1200* thresh hold but you can still maintain 70 on the interstate at that temp. Cruising at 60 I see 600* in lock-up and similar in OD (though I prefer lock-up as it's quicker to light the turbo ) And as long as I don't run into too many quick draw duramaxes or powerstrokes I still pull about 19-21mpg empty.

Although I would definitely like to know where you guys find used HX-40's with a T-3 foot... I personally machined and welded up my own adapter plate for my HX-40 as well as a full 4" exhaust. Though I shouldn't complain since I did get it for $250
Old 11-10-2007, 04:50 PM

for injectors you probably could go with pencacola diesels stage 2s for only about 270 bucks .. i have em n they work pretty well... i also am running a stock turbo (hx 35 i believe) running 40 psi max .. as for the 4000 rpm springs depending on where u by them; some places say that u should by some certain (not sure wat the difference is) valve springs and to make sure u have enough fuel to get to that rpm
Old 11-11-2007, 08:45 AM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Swamp_Donkey
My timing is at 15.5 how much more do you suggest? I have the original stock head gasket. Bought the truck new in 98. I have installed a water meth kit, but have not tried the meth yet. Going to dyno my truck this saturday. So I figure with my stock headgasket, advanced timing and meth it is going to blow my HG. Not a big deal other than the dyno is about 450 miles from home.
----------------
John:

Be REAL CAREFUL with that water/meth and timing higher than about 16 degrees with a stock headgasket. I had tried water/meth on my 96' WITH 14mm studs and firerings and my truck had detonation like you wouldn't believe! Now, my timing was above 20 degrees too, but for some reason I just don't think the old 12 valves like the water/meth too much!

-------
John_P
Old 12-18-2007, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Hammer
Dustin...
As John has said again the turbo you want for your budget is a HX40.I would strongly reccomend you have it pinned to ensure longevity and your piece of mind.Rammin On has been thrashing on hisPDR HX40 now for about 5-6 years and his ride does around 500 to the ground.And trust me when I say keith does not let Casper rest as he is always on the throttle.

On exhausts...
One my 98 when it was a custom HX35 I ran a 4inch and loved the sound.It wasn't until I got a good buy on a 5" that I changed it over.I called the resident HP and forgot more than I will ever learn Cummins guru Rammin On out in his shop in Missouri about the step up.His exact words were WHY and that I would loose HP and raise the torque number as the exhaust would cool inside the pipe instead of flowing out.I laughed and amde a bet with him and promptly lost too.With no other changes in my truck I went back to the jet and lost 13hp and gained about 100 ft lbs of torque due to the bigger exhaust.Called Keith back and ate crow and still owe him a steak when I go visit sometime.4inch is all you need and as JP has said contact MBRP as their kits are very reasonably priced.If you want I know a guy out here who also stocks them and can sell you and ship one........Andy
Could you explain the 100 ft/lbs part. Is it just me or would I rather lose 13 hp to gain 100 ft/lbs? Sounds like a good trade.

-Dustin-