Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

120hp edm's

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 08:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
120hp edm's

Since I am poor I went to the bank to get a loan for some 120hp edm injectors, a south bend clutch, and a catcher. Now I am starting to wonder if my stock hx35 will be ok with this setup. I ordered a boost control valve and I will be setting it at about 32-34 lbs. Will I even see this much boost with just the injectors? I'm sure I am just paranoid but what do you think? Does this sound like a good setup? I havent ordered yet, but I do have a check sitting in front of me that wants to be spent
Old 08-17-2005, 08:46 AM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
No, that is not a good set up......120 hp sticks will easily send the stock HX35 way past 32 psi....the MAD ECM will just compound the problem......You could run the sticks or the MAD with the stock turbo but both combined will end up leaving you glued to your pyro everytime you hit the throttle......it can be done with the stock HX35 but I would not suggest it. The stock turbo will limit the hp potential of that set up......towing will be out of the question........a Comp with those sticks might be a better choice because you can tune the level of fueling to meet the requirements of any driving condition. If you are set on the MAD and 120 hp injectors, consider at least a hybrid 35 upgrade like those offer from HTT.....they are an inexpensive way to flow more air.
Old 08-17-2005, 08:48 AM
Muted User

I think you will be very happy. I run 155 HP edms, a TST PM3 comp version stacked with an EZ with the stock turbo. With the TST on setting three, I can just start to get into trouble in the summer, (1400 F egts) In the winter I can let it rip all I want on setting 5. With the TST off, I cant get into any trouble no matter what the conditions, including towing in the summer.

With the TST off, in the summer I see about 35 to 37 psi of boost, and can keep the go pedal mashed indefinitely up a long hill with a 10k trailer and see about 1,200 to 1300F max. The EZ really helps greatly in this matter. Without the timing of the EZ, things get very hot quickly. The catcher will also advance the timing a bit, and it does not add tons of fuel like the TST, so I feel you will be quite nice. It does add some fuel though, so you might have to watch it a tad, but it will be very controllable I think.

Bottom line, go for it. If it gets a little toasty in the summer, just relax that right foot a little, that’s all.

KP
Old 08-17-2005, 08:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With timing from the Catcher ECM...and the injectors, I feel sure you will see lots of boost, and controlling it to 35 max is wise!
If by "boost control valve"....do you mean gasser type...installed after the turbo? If so - not the best way to go.

RJ
Old 08-17-2005, 08:53 AM

I meant the elbow that screws into the turbo, limiting pressure to the wastegate. It just adjusts with a allen screw I think. At least I think thats how it works.
Old 08-17-2005, 09:06 AM

I forgot to mention that I am installing a fp gauge today and was wondering if I should get a fass now, or wait till I upgrade the turbo? I should be ok if I watch the fp gauge carefully right? Thanks for the quick reply's
Old 08-17-2005, 09:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by oestreich84
I should be ok if I watch the fp gauge carefully right?
Yes. Just don't pull FP below 5-6 psi. (8 would be better).
With future plans to upgrade the turbo....your first thread makes more sense. I would go for it!
You may have a lot of smoke for a while...depending on the quality of the injectors you have choosen....and will have to back out of the throttle, if towing, but ...IMO...you'll be fine.

RJ
Old 08-17-2005, 09:37 AM

Here is the site.http://www.mufflerandperformance.com...egory_Code=INJ

I thought all edm's were good injectors or am I wrong? How much smoke will this combo make?
Old 08-17-2005, 10:25 AM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
To my knowledge, all 24v CTD injectors use the EDM process in manufacturing......they are certainly not all created equal.....A lot of R&D goes into making a great injector.....spray pattern and spray angle are critical factors......clearly, some companies invest much more than others when it comes to designing and manufacturing injectors and it shows in how they perform. Some compaines also use remanufactured nozzles (which have been proven to fail when they have been modified) where as others make new ones from scratch......so far, it seems you get what you pay for.
Old 08-17-2005, 06:16 PM

All 24 valve CTD injectors are not made with EDM technology. Many out there are still "honed" injectors from stock Bosch injectors. The chemical honing is much less precise. Basically, a corrosive chemical is sprayed through the tips and out the holes until a certain size hole is created. EDM injectors (Don M's Mach series, DD Jammer series) use Electrical Discharge Machining. A precision wire electrode is used to electrically remove metal material from a solid piece of injector tip. This is extemely precise and allows different hole angles and locations as well as sizes.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 08-17-2005, 06:29 PM

I would think about less injector

I personally would like to get Mach 1.6s, maybe 2s. (85 and 105 hp)
Old 08-17-2005, 06:43 PM

Also, are EDGE Jammer injectors EDM style injectors?
Old 08-17-2005, 06:54 PM
Muted User

Cant talk about jammers, but the BD XXX pulse stage 4 (~+155 HP) injectors I got for $258.00 a set are EDM'd.

And for the record, honed injectors are not a 'chemical' process, its strictly mechanical. An abrasive mixture is forced through the orifices at a very high pressure, thus eroding the holes to a larger diameter. The pressure this occurs at and most importatntly the time the nozzles are exposed to this fury determines how much larger the holes get. The drawback to this process is that it tends to round the entry and exit to each hole. This is less effective in producing fine atomization than a sharp edged orifice. The EDM process leaves a sharp entry and exit thus breaking those #2 fuel oil droplets up into very fine mists, thereby promoting more complete combustion.

KP
Old 08-17-2005, 09:58 PM

I'd get the 120's. If you don't, you'll wish you had down the road. I've run two sets of 180's on my trucks, both with the hx35 for a while. Spoolup will be fast, although top-end will be somewhat limited by lack of airflow. Until you run a wire tap box, you shouldn't have too many problems with EGT's unless your towing heavy.
andy
Old 08-18-2005, 12:09 AM

I have heard some things about sending out a stock hx35 to HTT and getting it rebuilt and modded for only a couple hundred bucks, but I dont remember where I heard it. Does anyone know about this? I just did a search and found a PDR35. I am guessing it is a modified hx35? What are some more options for me? Remember, I am on a very limited budget. Thanks again

Quick Reply: 120hp edm's