Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

12 valve performance mods....need list!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 07:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool 12 valve performance mods....need list!!!

Ok, I'm going to do a complete overhaul on a 12 valve, new tranny, turbo, any engine parts, injectors, injection pump...etc...what I'm needing is a list of mods and parts, good manufacturers...everything I would need to achieve and daily drive the following...

mods to make 400hp
mods to make 500hp
mods to make 600hp

I want to see what's dif between those power levels and what I wanna do..not pulling much, this is just a fun major project truck....actually everything is going to be swapped and put into a 1940's 2 ton ford truck. But I need to start on my list of what I'd need to do cause the engine will have a bit of miles on it and all, I'll have it all broken down kinda so what do I need to do? Thanks guys!
Old 08-15-2009, 08:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If the motor runs fine now, there is no need to tear into the motor for 400 or 500 rear wheel horsepower. If you plan to run around using 600, you will at least need to pull the head and get it oringed.

If you want more responses, you need to determine what year of 12 valve since the pre 94's take a lot more to get 400 Hp than the 94-98's.
Old 08-15-2009, 08:55 PM

It'll def be the years between 94-98. Well, I'll have the engine kinda broken down from the top, didn't know if I should do new cam, rods, rocker arms.....or just leave all that alone? I know I don't need to do anything to the motor for the power, just seein if there's anything I should do for that amount of power that would be best for it to keep it runnin for a long time to come holding that power. I'd say I'd be cool with 400-500 hp, for sure nothing over 600. What other mods do I need?
Old 08-16-2009, 03:45 PM

Bump, anyone? Also, what is a KDP?....been reading a bunch last night and think I kinda understand...gonna do the marine 370 inj....and a new injection pump from dragonflow, probably a few other things..so if I'm pushing out 400-500hp, what size turbo do I need on this? I have an HTT..ss on my 06 and love it. But not sure what size I need on this 12 valve.
Old 08-16-2009, 07:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You'll need injectors and a Fuel plate to get over 400hp. A turbo will also be necessary. Studs would be a good idea. A cam is available too. Head porting probably wouldn't hurt either. Exhaust manifold would help too. The $ are starting to climb but who cares when your having fun.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:03 PM

I'm expecting to spend a total of $20k on this truck swap I'm doing, and at least $5k of it in just performance stuff. So, what size turbo? I plan on all that, not just a fuel plate but whole new injection pump really tuned up...ok, now injectors. I'm hearing alot about the 370hp marine injectors...do they put out that much?...not in addition, but total? I've seen 425hp for the 12 valve too, which would be best? Would temps get real hot putting that much fuel to it, or will the turbo make it good? I'm new to this 12 valve thing, I've got a 24 valve and a CR.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:26 PM

dont waste you money buying a performance pump if your just gonna shoot for 500hp, that is easily to get if you know how or can find someone to tune your pump

heres a list to make 500hp or just under

intake
exhaust
0 or 100 fuel plate
mod afc for full rack travel
4000 rpm gsk
60 lb valve springs
2095 rack plug (if its not a 215 pump)
140hp injectors with correct spray pattern (not marine)
62/71/14 or 64/71/14 turbo

optional things to do:
stud and o ring head
polish and ported head
exhaust manifold
191 delivery valves
bigger cam
lift pump
Old 08-16-2009, 08:30 PM

Ok, sounds very good to me....what about the KDP? What's that all about? I don't need a lift pump with adding that much fuel? Also, that size of turbo with an auto tranny, wont that be a bit laggy??
Old 08-16-2009, 08:57 PM

KDP (killer dowel pin) is a pin that is used to align the timing case and the block. It will eventually work its way loose and have one of three outcomes. 1. it does nothing. 2. gets stuck between your case gear and busts the timing case. 3. gets stuck between the gears and causes major engine failure. They have kits to tab the pin in so it wont fall out. you have the take the fan and timing cover off to get too it. If the case is cracked you have to take the whole front end off to pull the cam to change the timing case.

the mechanical lift pumps on these trucks are spose to be able to support up too 500hp. but to be sure, get a fuel pressure gauge so you can be sure. Ill be finding out pretty soon if they can support it, cause im shooting for 500hp in the next couple weeks.

The bigger injectors should be able to spool that turbo, otherwise you could go with a 13 exhaust housing to help it a lil. Im goin with the 14 cause i dont want EGT issues
Old 08-16-2009, 09:00 PM

heres a pic of my busted case, made quite a mess

here you can see where the pin use to be in the upper right corner of the pic

Old 08-16-2009, 09:07 PM

Ahh, I see. Ok, since the engine will be out and worked on then going into another truck I may as well do all this stuff. What about adjusting the timing on it...what would be good?...and how do you do that...is it through the injection pump? Guess I'll just rebuild the pump it comes with, too expensive for a new one. I may go with the 13, ss turbo to help it out a little. And worst case is do water meth setup to help cool it lol.
Old 08-16-2009, 09:11 PM

Keep me posted on your truck and if you've gotten 500hp. I'll be following this real close, making a detailed budget for all the mods I'm gonna need. Found and seen most all of them. I've seen the mechanical lift pump for the 12 valves, but also fass and others make a lift pump for them too. Some are a whole new system and others are just a new pump.
Old 08-16-2009, 09:18 PM

if your running stock head bolts and head gasket i wouldnt go over 17* of timing. If you do head stud and o ring, then I would suggest 19-20* if its gonna be just a street truck.

you have to have special tools to adjust the timing. Just do some searching around for a while and you will find all you need.

Im currently at 425 hp with my setup (62/65/12 + 100hp injectors), but im getting a sps 62/71/14 and 140hp injectors and am hoping to be just under or right at 500hp
Old 08-16-2009, 09:26 PM

I see, I'll research that, thanks.

Ok, I've been searching for the injectors, I know you said not marine, and I've read on why not...but found those for $330....then found DDP 140hp for a little over $900, then I read on F1, they have the 370 marine..this is quoted from thier website....and they cost $800.... "This injector begins life as a Bocsh 370 Marine from the Cummins 12 Valve 370HP engine. We perform internal injector modifications and the proper amount of extrude honing to make the meanest 370 money can buy. Several power levels are available and can be taylored to your injection pump and turbocharger system. This injector has produced up to 800 rear wheel HP using a single turbocharger and can take a twin turbo engine past 850."

Would those be worth getting maybe? How much added hp are those 370's for?? Can't actually be 370hp lol.
Old 08-16-2009, 10:15 PM

370 are 100hp injectors

I am personally going with a custom set of 140hp injectors from smokem on competitiondiesel.com

he is the best period, ask any one on compd or CF, they will agree. and he makes them for alot less, but it will take time to get ahold of him.

If you dont go with him, i would either go with New Era or FTE.

If you go with a marine injector, you cant run alot of timing at all. You will be spraying out of the bowl of the piston alot sooner then you would be with a regular injector. and i dont see why anyone would want to pay a couple hundred dollars more for an injector that isnt even for that motor.

Quick Reply: 12 valve performance mods....need list!!!