Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

12 Valve Fuel Pressure Gauge ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2006, 09:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
12 Valve Fuel Pressure Gauge ?

I'm planning on installing a mechanical fuel pressure gauge, 0-60 psi, on a '98 12 valve.
The main purpose is to monitor the condition of the fuel filter - I'm going to up and running w/ my 'Appleseed' processor and homebrewing bio-diesel soon. The pressure gauge would be beneficial in monitoring fuel issues.

One consideration is to install a direct mount 1.5" gauge in the engine compartment as opposed to inside the cab.
My question:
Is checking the gauge at idle enough to keep an eye on the fuel pressure, or is it beneficial to be able to monitor pressure while cruising in the cab?

Remember this is for a 12 valve application.

I still need to add gauges and I'm planning on putting Hewitt gauges in a 2 gauge pillar mount - pyro and boost.
I'm trying to decide if I want to use the Hewitt fuel pressure mounted under the dash or put a small industrial gauge in the engine compartment.

No offense, but I don't like the look of the 3 gauge pillar mounts.
Please don't yell at me - I cry easily.
Old 01-28-2006, 11:01 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
It's better to be able to check pressure while under load when you have maximum demand especially if you're using it to check for plugging. This will also give you more time after seeing a drop in pressure before the filter clogs to the point you can't go. All filters tend to start clogging more rapidly once they first start clogging.

If you can build an appleseed without leaks you'll have no problem with running fuel into the cab.
Remember it is an absolute necessity that you install either a mostly closed needle valve or snubber in the line to the gauge on a 12 valve otherwise the needle will bounce so wildly that you can't read it in the short amount of time before the gauge self destructs.

Needle valve installed in inlet banjo