Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

#100 Plate, No smoke?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 01:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
#100 Plate, No smoke?

I have a #100 plate full forward in my truck and after it hits 2nd gear my truck has no smoke at all. It has the initial pre spool cloud but then after it goes into 2nd theres nothing. Is this typical for a truck with just a plate? My truck has the baby 160 pump and a stock charger, so if the lack of smoke isn't normal I'm guessing my gov arm needs adjusted? What do you think?
Old 08-13-2006, 01:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mslaughter
I have a #100 plate full forward in my truck and after it hits 2nd gear my truck has no smoke at all. It has the initial pre spool cloud but then after it goes into 2nd theres nothing. Is this typical for a truck with just a plate? My truck has the baby 160 pump and a stock charger, so if the lack of smoke isn't normal I'm guessing my gov arm needs adjusted? What do you think?

It might be the smaller pump,

and the itty bitty DV's found in the 160 pump. A severe wake up for ur truck would be some laser cuts, and some 215 injectors

Ur governer arm could be off, if it rides under the plate you get the big cloud of smoke and lack of throttle response, a proper adjustment would really help you out,

Rick
Old 08-13-2006, 02:52 AM

Yeah. Your truck sounds normal to me. As I mentioned in your other post, throw a 3k or 4k GSK in your truck to really bring it to life. It helps a lot with the stock auto, and shouldnt hurt your tranny. With just the plate, mine smoked before boost, and then it didnt smoke any. Now it smokes quite a bit before boost(tight converter), and then just hazes after that.

Eric
Old 08-13-2006, 08:50 PM

Thanks guys, after I get my gauges installed I'll be looking around for a set of Dv's and a gsk. When I do that I might as well check the gov arm just to be sure while I have everything apart.
Old 08-13-2006, 09:35 PM

A 10 plate smoked in my 95 175 pump. Has the same itty bitty 131 DVs. Adjust your gov arm to ensure that it is isnt being blocked from following the plate. If it goes under the plate you would actually have more fueling. More timing would clear it up some also and give a little more MPG.
Old 08-14-2006, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by robert chilton
A 10 plate smoked in my 95 175 pump. Has the same itty bitty 131 DVs. Adjust your gov arm to ensure that it is isnt being blocked from following the plate. If it goes under the plate you would actually have more fueling. More timing would clear it up some also and give a little more MPG.
A #10 plate smoked running full throttle at 2000rpms? Mine must be off because If I remember right the #10 plate has some defueling. Did the truck have any other mods fueling mods?
Old 08-14-2006, 11:18 PM

boost

If my arm wasn't adjusted properly would I notice a drop in boost? Also where is the fuel shutoff solenoid and how do I get it in the up position to check my govenor arm? My truck feels kinda slow but I don't know if it is or not for whats done to it because this is my first diesel. However, I didn't notice much difference after swapping out the #10 for a #100. It almost feels faster 1/2-3/4 throttle then full but that could just be my crappy trans not co-operating?

Trending Topics

Old 08-15-2006, 12:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mslaughter
If my arm wasn't adjusted properly would I notice a drop in boost? Also where is the fuel shutoff solenoid and how do I get it in the up position to check my govenor arm? My truck feels kinda slow but I don't know if it is or not for whats done to it because this is my first diesel. However, I didn't notice much difference after swapping out the #10 for a #100. It almost feels faster 1/2-3/4 throttle then full but that could just be my crappy trans not co-operating?
i have never had to adjust governor arm in a stock 160 pump! but when it rides under the plate, it only has power the first time you hit the throttle, at boost it defuels! the shut off solenoid is the only electric thing on your injection pump (3 wires go into it!) behind the air intake horn! to get it up, you can jusst crank the engine, NOT start! and see if it rides under the plate, or also check if the lever to where the solenoid is connected sticks up diagonally! \ if it sticks up straight, it doesn not get full fuel at WOT I had that prob, had to adjust it!

also loosen up your starwheel, a 100 plate if done correctly should give some good power! also, turn in the WOT screw, helps with Rpms too!
Old 08-15-2006, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by 12valve
i have never had to adjust governor arm in a stock 160 pump! but when it rides under the plate, it only has power the first time you hit the throttle, at boost it defuels! the shut off solenoid is the only electric thing on your injection pump (3 wires go into it!) behind the air intake horn! to get it up, you can jusst crank the engine, NOT start! and see if it rides under the plate, or also check if the lever to where the solenoid is connected sticks up diagonally! \ if it sticks up straight, it doesn not get full fuel at WOT I had that prob, had to adjust it!

also loosen up your starwheel, a 100 plate if done correctly should give some good power! also, turn in the WOT screw, helps with Rpms too!
Starwheel is as loose as it'll go, by wot screw do you mean a gsk? I checked the solenoid and I saw 3 wires (red black white) running into the solenoid and it looked like it was pointed towards the cab at about the same degree as the windshield. I'm gonna guess that IF there is a problem its with the gov arm. Also there are two metal fuel lines running under the drivers side cab, is there any pressure in those lines? I had a leak on the top one in the rubber part that I sort of rigged up a fix, but if theres no pressure that shouldn't be a problem right? It feels like at wot the truck spools up fast just fine then sort of "hangs" around 2000rpms for a bit and SLOWLY increases rpms, but if I'm in neutral its revs up smooth to 3000rpms. Maybe its normal with a stock converter/trans? And about revving in neutral, it'll blow out a cloud then clears up, but if it doesn't build boost without a load why does the smoke clear? Sorry about all the questions.
Old 08-15-2006, 07:06 AM

Yes I smoked at 2000 RPM with no other mods than the 10 plate. It wasnt black out the interstate but a healthy dose of black/grey haze rolling out the pipe. Then 10 plate does have some defueling to it but it starts at higher RPM. Probably above 2000 RPM going by feel. Also the plate position has a little to do with the defueling. The further the plate is forward the more fuel you will get at a given RPM. Mine was in the stock position. The 10 was a great plate but I wanted a little more on the top end as it started to nose dive on me around 70-75 MPH. If fuel prices stay expensive I will probably go back to the 10 plate slide forward. The 6 plate is awesome but I lost 1.5 MPG!