Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

100 plate mileage, towing, horrendous mileage and other concerns...

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 06:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
100 plate mileage, towing, horrendous mileage and other concerns...

Guys

i know that the 100 plate is not really a towing plate, and it wasnt until now that i realize just how bad on fuel it really is. I have wasted 3/8 or a tank in 70 miles.. WTH???? I dont know what is causing it, i use stanadyne, and the same station everytime to fill up, i have a fresh fuel filter, im pretty much fed up with this, Any ideas on how i can keep this plate and really help my mileage? my starwheel is full forward, i know im gonna turn that down, but what is yalls experience with it in the stock position? would it still have more power than my banks full forward?

I also have a question about the starwheel, turning it back will move the AFC back I know, my governer arm is aligned well. Where exactly should i set it for best mileage from yalls experience?

I have to cut back cause now i have an extra payment a month, and power can honestly wait. The truck feels boggy when i take off and it smokes too much, and the turbo all of a sudden lights and WHOA!!! that GSK kicks in..

I put in that 4K gsk not too long ago, and have the springs tighter than usual .60 for faster startups over the stock .55, and when i shift into neutral, the tach SLOWLY drops down from 1000 rpms to the idling 750 or so rpms. It does this sometimes and others it dont, does this mean that they are not the same tightness? im guessing i need to back them off.

I have to take it apart and loosen and remeasure my springs, so i might as well get in there and fix everything... Would it just be best to put my banks plate back? or try a 100 in stock. Towing that 100 just plain aint fun, and the banks i feel is too weak...

I need a happy medium fellas, please help...

Rick
Old 01-16-2006, 07:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm interested in the responses as this is the direction im heading.....

Travis
Old 01-16-2006, 08:13 PM

I was getting 10mpg on mine but it seems to be getting progressively better as I add upgrades to the truck.
Old 01-16-2006, 08:23 PM

Crank the starwheel back, and put in a #10 plate centered. Where is your 100plate forward or?

If you're springs are not balance you'll definately feel it around idle, real shakey, just sounds like yours are a bit tight.

OR get a valet switch to get a bit of adjustability for power/milage when towing.
Old 01-16-2006, 08:56 PM

with my 100 & the stuff in my sig I got 8.8mpg the tank before last, but that was running up around 80 mph, pulling a brute of a horse trailer, it's aluminum skinned with a steel frame, & it's extra tall, so it's like pullin a parachute, the faster you go the harder it pulls, after that tank I put a stage IV Bullydog back in it full forward & adjusted the starwheel & the last tank I was up almost to 13mpg, might put the #100 back in after a valet switch & a timing advance, but my mileage definatly sucked the way it was, & it ran really hot too, now it's a little cooler as well, spikes to around 1350-1450, but then settles in to about 1200 & that's w/ 40 psi of boost from the B1, if you're dead set on the power of the 100 the valet sounds like your best bet, Dusty
Old 01-16-2006, 10:31 PM
Banned

Might replace your return lines from the motor back, if you haven't already. You might be surprised how badly one can be cracked and not leaking but allowing air into the system. They can kinda be a PITA but it's definately worth the piece of mind after you've changed them out.
Old 01-16-2006, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by Cummins4Life
Crank the starwheel back, and put in a #10 plate centered. Where is your 100plate forward or?

If you're springs are not balance you'll definately feel it around idle, real shakey, just sounds like yours are a bit tight.

OR get a valet switch to get a bit of adjustability for power/milage when towing.

Im running the plate full forward..

I want to try it in the stock position. I was not towing much anymore due to deer season, but that is over, and im downright disappointed with the towing on the 100 full forward. I imagine with twins id downright love it, but with a banks exhaust housing and stock turbo, ech... im not enjoying it.

My next concern is how much of a difference will the timing make? will it remove the boggy feeling of too much fuel early on? I do know that it is a trade off sort of, more timing you feel less on the lower end and more on the top end, Im thinking i need to have mine set to 16 degrees so to say.

I have DV's and 370s on my shelf at home just begging to be put in, but cause of a stock clutch and lack of air, im really holding back. My question is how can either of those mods help me improve my mileage? I may see that i use less throttle, but eitherways, thats more fuel going in, and i dont have the air to burn it, is my logic correct in holding back on these mods?

thanks fellas!

Rick
Old 01-16-2006, 11:12 PM

Neither your 370's or DV's will help milage, but they wont necessarily hurt it either. You'll just have to drive with a lot "softer" foot to maintain the milage you're getting now.

Timing will help, but it wont get rid of the "spongy" feeling you're talking about. That just comes from dumping a lot of fuel before the turbo is lit which can actually decrease throttle response because it can put out the fire so to speak.
Old 01-16-2006, 11:13 PM
Banned

I've got old hogged out 300's new 191's and 100 plate granted I don't have any real hills but I hauled 4500k worth of gravel repetedly during some hot summer months and had no probs unless I hammered the throttle. Now of course it doesn't get nearly as hot here during the summer as it probably is there even right now so neither here nor there. Definately jack that timing up around 16 or so degrees that'll help!

IMHO.................
a #100 is better suited for competition and street thumpin, not economy

My bet is on the return lines
Old 01-17-2006, 06:07 AM

Ck really close for a boost leak. Your symptoms match what a friend had. Found one of the bottom intercooler boots leaking.
Old 01-17-2006, 07:29 AM

valet switch

Originally Posted by Cummins4Life

valet switch on a p-pump??????????????
Old 01-17-2006, 07:41 AM

I vote for a valet switch of some sort!!! I wouldn't be without it!

It lets you keep that #100 for playing, but takes it out of the equation the rest of the time! You'll really want one if you put in those sticks and DV's

Beware, it makes the truck drive like a 24v...power comes with RPM

Chris
Old 01-17-2006, 07:46 AM

it is a valve that goes between the intake manifold and the afc, you can cut back your fueling by a bunch.

i suggest you go back to basics, i tow with a 100 plate, 370s and i have never had it get that bad of miliage unless i just flog it.
Old 01-17-2006, 09:46 AM

BTW, the 370's dropped my towing mileage to about 10mpg...used to be no less than 10mpg PERIOD. I could get 12-13 anytime under 30K lbs. If I even hook to the trailer empty now, I get 10, when I could get about 14mpg empty trailer!

That is with the valet off (low power), and twins or B1, didn't matter!

The 370's are going bye bye...gonna get something designed for the pistons in my engine, not a marine one

Chris
Old 01-17-2006, 10:01 AM
Banned

Something else to remeber is stock intercooler boots blow up like balloons with more boost so with more fuel they'll inflate and deflate robbing you of rock steady boost. I found this once I replaced my stock "balloons"

Quick Reply: 100 plate mileage, towing, horrendous mileage and other concerns...