Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

#10 plate question

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 04:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
#10 plate question

Well tomorrow I will have an EGT gauge on the way, and I have the 4" megamouth and straight pipe to help lower EGTs. This spring I will be replacing my auto trans with a heavy duty manual, so I should be ready to increase my power. I know my auto won't be able to handle the #10, but I plan to take it easy until I get the new trans installed.

My question is about a #10 plate. I have read that it has different power results depending on the year and trans, but I haven't seen a specific rating for my particular setup. What should I expect out of a #10 plate in my '96 with auto trans? And what should I expect if I do a 3K GSK with the #10? Just curious.

One last question...would this plate work well for a daily driver and mild (up to around 6000 lbs.) towing?

Jim
Old 01-23-2006, 05:59 PM

It seems to me it would be cheaper just have your tranny rebuilt to handle the horse power. www.htstransmissions.com is just one of the companies that can rebuilt your tranny.

I would put in the 3k kit if I was you. I didnt think that gsk would help that much, but I wish I would have done those sooner.

I have a more powerful plate and huge injectors and still drive mine daily(~20mpg).
Old 01-23-2006, 07:40 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by NHDiesel
...My question is about a #10 plate. I have read that it has different power results depending on the year and trans, but I haven't seen a specific rating for my particular setup. What should I expect out of a #10 plate in my '96 with auto trans? And what should I expect if I do a 3K GSK with the #10? Just curious.

One last question...would this plate work well for a daily driver and mild (up to around 6000 lbs.) towing?

Jim
The answer is yes. The #10 and 3000GSK is a good combo. It will give you a lot or a little more power depending on where you set it and your AFC. Therefore I can't tell you exactly what you will get, each engine is different even the same year because of timing, boost, exhaust, BHAF, etc. The #10 is easily adjustable and controllable, as opposed to the #8 which (I have heard) is touchy.
Old 01-23-2006, 07:44 PM

I wouldn't call $1900-$2300 cheaper when I can buy the 5-speed for a couple hundred, swap my Dodge bellhousing for an SAE pattern, and sell my auto for enough to buy a flywheel & clutch.

Anyway...I am also considering the #5 plate. What are the feelings about these plates, and what should I expect for power and torque after I'm done?

Jim
Old 01-23-2006, 07:52 PM

Thanks rare1. I was typing when you posted, so I didn't see your reply.

Jim
Old 01-23-2006, 09:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I run a #10 full foward with the housing full foward as well. I have had the 3K gsk too, it really is worth the money and effort. My transmission has held it just fine so far. As TXdiesel would say, "anything is better than that tired old stock plate" and he is right! I think TSTs site says like 200hp and im not sure on the torque... Good luck, and watch your EGTS...
Old 01-24-2006, 08:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
10 plates with a 3K kit are a great combo. You and your auto will love it. You can set the gov arm to get the power to come on at about 1800RPM which will give your tranny a bit more time to build up some pressure to hold the power better. Keep the plate in the stock position or you're going to get your EGT's up there into the danger zone. You really should buy a pyro, boost and trans temp gauge. They're a lot cheaper than a set of pistons. Check out infidel's photo gallery for some meltdown pics.

(later) I see you've got 4" exhaust. That'll help with the EGT's. You still need a pyro.
I ran an 8 plate before the 10. It had a lot more bottom end. My preference is the 10. It's a lot smoother.
Old 01-24-2006, 08:43 AM

I have the pyro covered...ordering it today. Then hopefully tonight or in a couple days I'll order the plate. I'll order a boost gauge soon, and I have a tranny temp. gauge already, just have to install it. Thanks for the info guys. I'm still wondering about some rough numbers to expect...just for bragging rights to my buddies, since we have no dynos around here.

Jim
Old 01-24-2006, 11:10 AM

O.K., I managed to find charts showing year by year breakdowns. It looks like a #10 should get me roughly 220/570. The #5 should be around 270/675. I can see now why the stock autos handle the #10. Now my newest question- should I stick with a 10, or move up to a #5? You guys are happy with the 10...so it sounds like that gives a good power increase. Would the #5 be too much, and possibly get me in trouble with EGTs without other mods? Or maybe not be a good towing plate?

Sorry for my persistent Q's. I'm still learning the basics on these trucks, and I want to make the best choice the first time around. I'm still leaning toward the 10 to play it safe, but I kind of have a need for power, and the numbers for the #5 make me drool. I think if the Spicer trans was installed already, I would be leaning toward the #5. But I don't want to smoke my auto before I sell it.

Jim
Old 01-24-2006, 12:05 PM

I dyno'd 290/710 with a #10 (back a tiny amount from full forward) and 3K GSK on a dynojet. (Scotty II & 3" straight pipe too, along with at least 1 broken delivery valve spring, a non-operational wastegate, and slipped timing (~11°))

After getting my timing set to 16.5 and the spring fixed, it was 285 and 650 or so on a Mustang. (I was past my torque peak before the turbo could spool on that)

Those numbers on TST's site are almost-meaningless, since they are only for the plate in the stock position... My dynos prove that.
Old 01-24-2006, 12:13 PM

Thanks, I guess I'll stick to the #10.

Jim
Old 01-24-2006, 12:28 PM

I probably make more power with the 10 over the 8. It just comes on a little later. Don't pay a lot of attention to those horsepower charts.

IMO I wouldn't go with a 5 just yet. A 10 and the GSK is about all that tranny will hold. A lot more knowledgable people than I told me so but I thought I might be able to squeak a little more out of it. I smoked my converter shortly after adding 215 injectors.

Depending where you get your plate you may be able to trade it for another later on. Piers did this for me for cheap (maybe $20-30, maybe free I can't recall). I don't know if he still does it.
Old 01-24-2006, 03:59 PM

Yea do a 10 and 3k gsks you will love it untill your transmission goes out. Mine lasted alittle under a year, but yours could last a lot longer.

Berner so you put 215 injectors in your 180 pump? Was it a big difference in power? I was thinking about 370s but I dont want that much fuel.
Old 01-25-2006, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by 2k1yzfr1
...Berner so you put 215 injectors in your 180 pump? Was it a big difference in power? I was thinking about 370s but I dont want that much fuel.
A couple guys have said that it's good for about 25HP. It was a very noticable seat-of-the-pants increase. They're also the reason I smoked the stock TC. The stock injectors had 130,000 miles on them so they might have been getting a little weak too. I can lay down a pretty good trail of smoke with the 215's and the tight TC. EGT's get to about 1350 at the top end of 3rd gear.