Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

#10 Fuel plate. Grind my own or Buy it???

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 07:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[QUOTE=kuhkuhkyle;1303228]. I myself have bench tested this plate and a plateless p pump. Both provide the exact same fuel flow of at least 400 cc's of fuel per thousand strokes of the pump, to the 110 cc's per 1000 strokes of the pump. QUOTE]

Intresting observation

But what im seeing here is this, at least what im understanding that the 10 plates dont touch the arm? heck my 100 does at 2/3 forward and even at full forward now with Governer arm adjustment, and if with a plate or not it provides the same fuel flow, then why do away with the plate and risk the damage? Its interestin how u say u have heard of some damage done to a pump, and have provided information on how it happened, so we both agree damage is not inevitable, however u can get away with no plate and still run well...

I think u can have just as much fuel with a plate if you just add some full cut DV's and a tweaked OFV, cause the limiting of fueling to the system is not in the plate itself, the real limit is in how much fuel the injectors, DV's and the fuel pressure to the system at the banjo bolt. Im not saying that a plate is not important, but in my opinion fuel pressure, and a better Lift pump system, such as an aeromotive 1000 pump, a regulator and doin away with the OFV can yield better results than running plateless,

what are your thoughts?

Rick
Old 01-17-2007, 12:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree rick. I had a 97 before I bought my common rail. I dynoed 616 horse to the ground with the plate pulled, an aeromotive 1000 pump, laser cut delivery valves, and some afc work. Thats all the fuel work i had.

I just think that pulling the plate is such an easier and less expensive way, to gain fuel flow, without any substantial side effects. And then building upon that. It's just hard for me to justify taking the time to grind the plate, or buy one when you can just pull it.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by kuhkuhkyle
I agree rick. I had a 97 before I bought my common rail. I dynoed 616 horse to the ground with the plate pulled, an aeromotive 1000 pump, laser cut delivery valves, and some afc work. Thats all the fuel work i had.

I just think that pulling the plate is such an easier and less expensive way, to gain fuel flow, without any substantial side effects. And then building upon that. It's just hard for me to justify taking the time to grind the plate, or buy one when you can just pull it.
So what happens when someone who is inexperienced with these trucks (like myself) takes your advice, and ruins their pump? I don't know lots about these trucks, but I've learned enough to know that pump damage is possible. Are you going to pay for the repairs when I damage it?
Old 01-17-2007, 09:20 AM

I would ask how hard is it to cut a #0 plate but I have access to a full machine shop so I guess Ive got a little more of an advantage than most...

That said if anybody ever wants a plate cut and I have the time between classes, let me know...
Old 01-17-2007, 10:26 AM
Banned

Let me ask a question. Keep in mind that I'm sorta 12v illiterate as to how the thing works but I know how to build it for power. But why if running plate less is so great don't the big horsepower guys pull theirs? What plate is Jim Fulmer running? I know he's got one in there just not sure which one and he did 873hp on nitrous and water/meth. Just curious.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by BigBlue
Let me ask a question. Keep in mind that I'm sorta 12v illiterate as to how the thing works but I know how to build it for power. But why if running plate less is so great don't the big horsepower guys pull theirs? What plate is Jim Fulmer running? I know he's got one in there just not sure which one and he did 873hp on nitrous and water/meth. Just curious.
he has a regular six plate off TST

Rick
Old 01-17-2007, 10:52 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
But why if running plate less is so great don't the big horsepower guys pull theirs?
Because they are wise and know that when running plateless the rack can over travel and break off the internal stop pin, a $1200 average repair. Running a 100 plate is the same as running plateless without the damage worry.
I've heard quite a few folks tout how they've run plateless for xxxxx miles without problem but most times they eventually come back admitting that they should have listened to more experienced people.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:14 AM
Banned

That's about what I figured. The extra 5 maybe 10hp they gain running plate less isn't enough to justify the cost of the pump.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:09 PM
Banned

...What plate is Jim Fulmer running? I know he's got one in there just not sure which one and he did 873hp on nitrous and water/meth. Just curious.
I thought Jim Fulmer made 87x on #2 only? Wasn't he running a SPS66 on top of a Big Brother in twins with Ind. Inj. Dragon Flows?

As far as grinding the plate goes it only takes about an hour and that is when taking your time and making a mirror finish. It deffinately isn't a big deal to do and COULD save you a headache if you were unfortunate enough to break off that pin. I will probably make a dyno run without a plate next time I go just to see the difference but that will be the only time...
Old 01-17-2007, 06:43 PM

That's about what I figured. The extra 5 maybe 10hp they gain running plate less isn't enough to justify the cost of the pump.
I actually saw, a 22 horse gain to the ground with the plate gone than a plate i ground myself to 100.

I'm not telling everyone out there to pull their fuel plate to gain real horsepower. But if you are Trying to buil a ton of horespwer, why not reduce any restrictions. If you adjust the arm on the rack, you'll never break that pin. There are guys actually going into the pump, and grinding another 1/4" off the rack internally. It takes them from around 400 cc's of fuel per thousand strokes, to around 550 cc's of fuel per thousand strokes. These p-pumps are actually pretty resilliant. As long as something doesnt get into the pump internally and cause a failure.

And as far as the guy thats inexperienced and wanting to go into his pump and screw it up and have someone else pay for it. Thats rediculous. Dont get into something over head is all i can say.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Mopar440_6
I would ask how hard is it to cut a #0 plate but I have access to a full machine shop so I guess Ive got a little more of an advantage than most...

That said if anybody ever wants a plate cut and I have the time between classes, let me know...
all you really need is a bench grinder and grind it flat
Old 01-17-2007, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by realtreehunter
all you really need is a bench grinder and grind it flat
I would agree to a point. If you're going straight for a #0 or #100 plate, yes. However some of the other fuel curves such as #8 and #10 are not as easy to do with a bench grinder. It's alot easier and more accurate, IMO, to clamp the plate into an endmill and make a pass or two. I just figured I would offer incase anyone was uncomfortable doing it themselves. I usually have a pretty good amount of down-time between classes so I might as well be out in the engineering lab doing something fun.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:00 PM

[QUOTE=kuhkuhkyle;1305697]There are guys actually going into the pump, and grinding another 1/4" off the rack internally. It takes them from around 400 cc's of fuel per thousand strokes, to around 550 cc's of fuel per thousand strokes. [QUOTE]

Those are the famous rack travel mods we talk about here

Nothin new..

Rick
Old 01-18-2007, 09:34 AM

Those are the famous rack travel mods we talk about here

Nothin new..

Rick[/QUOTE]

Then why is everyone so scared of breaking this pin, thats pretty hard to break unless you go in pull the plate and put the cover back on? I'll i'm saying, is if you want high horsepower, whats the difference. I mean sure grind your own, it isnt worth the money to buy one, when anyone can take a grinder and make it themselves.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:10 AM

Let me throw this out.
With plate removal, would the AFC arm then act as a throttle stop? Since it just slides clear of the plate when boost comes up, the governer arm would then hit the AFC arm rather then breaking the pin.
I run the plate, and will continue, but just wondering.