Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

1/4 tank issue with intank pump to an AirDog

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 02:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1/4 tank issue with intank pump to an AirDog

what do you guys do to eliminate the 1/4 tank fueling problem when you convert your truck from the intank Lp to an Airdog setup?
Old 12-09-2007, 02:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The AirDog 100 doesn't have any issue with that, it connects directly to the original pickup tube that draws fuel directly from the collection basket. On my personal 24V 1999, I have run the tank low enough for the low fuel light to come on and put up to 32 1/2 gallons in a 34 gallon tank. I don't know about the 150 AirDog personally. Putting the larger pickup tube toward the rear of the tank and being sure that it extends to a minimal safe level above the tank bottom should reduce the chance of sucking air. One situation to watch out for would be decelerating quickly or going down a steep hill with a low fuel level.

Charlie
Old 12-09-2007, 02:41 PM

so if get the 100gph airdog i can use my basket that is in my tank now even tho i have had the intank coversion done? i heard diff.

anyone with experience or input feel free to chime in
Old 12-10-2007, 09:40 AM

anyone have an yinput or experience with the situation i have.
Old 12-10-2007, 03:12 PM

I am not runnung an AirDog, but I have a Draw Straw. In fact, I have the prototype.

The key to any of the draw tubes is making sure they are near the bottom of the tank. Sounds simple right?

What we have found is that some tanks sag a slight amount from the secured strap position when compared to the flat on the ground poistion.

What we now do is disassemble per the instructions, but we place the tank on a couple of small blocks in the factory strap location. This allows the belly to drop. In my truck, that was good for 1" of depth. Having a few gallons of fuel in the tank helps it find it's full depth as well.

We set the tube to bump the bottom of the tank and then cut off 1/8". I follow that up with a bevel cut on teh bottom of the tube of around 30 degrees.

I can run my tank down as low as the factory setuo with no issues whatsoever.

I have no experience with the AirDog kit or parts, so I cannot say if this method will work exactly the same for you. But it sure works on my truck.

Dave
Old 12-10-2007, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Fishin2Deep4U
I am not runnung an AirDog, but I have a Draw Straw. In fact, I have the prototype.

The key to any of the draw tubes is making sure they are near the bottom of the tank. Sounds simple right?

What we have found is that some tanks sag a slight amount from the secured strap position when compared to the flat on the ground poistion.

What we now do is disassemble per the instructions, but we place the tank on a couple of small blocks in the factory strap location. This allows the belly to drop. In my truck, that was good for 1" of depth. Having a few gallons of fuel in the tank helps it find it's full depth as well.

We set the tube to bump the bottom of the tank and then cut off 1/8". I follow that up with a bevel cut on teh bottom of the tube of around 30 degrees.

I can run my tank down as low as the factory setuo with no issues whatsoever.

I have no experience with the AirDog kit or parts, so I cannot say if this method will work exactly the same for you. But it sure works on my truck.

Dave
thanks for the info greatly appreciated. i know you dont have an airdog setup but when you have had the intank conversion done, when installing the airdog do you just drill a hole and mount the draw tube and forget about the factory unit/pump.
Old 12-10-2007, 03:36 PM

The typical installation of a tube when used with the factory in tank pump is to drill a new hole and use a standalone product.

In my case, I did not have the factory pump, so we gutted the basket and used it for a place to drop the fitting into.

I would try to keep it as close as possible to the factory unit as I feel the engineers placed the pickup there for a reason.

Dave

Trending Topics

Old 12-10-2007, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Fishin2Deep4U
The typical installation of a tube when used with the factory in tank pump is to drill a new hole and use a standalone product.

In my case, I did not have the factory pump, so we gutted the basket and used it for a place to drop the fitting into.

I would try to keep it as close as possible to the factory unit as I feel the engineers placed the pickup there for a reason.

Dave
thanks again i will be placing my order here in a few days.