Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

01 Cummins with auto

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2006, 06:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
01 Cummins with auto

How much can I safely increase my torque with the 01 auto tranny?
Do I need to beef up the tranny for 100-200 foot pound increase?
Thanks for any help I am brnd new to diesels.
TBelue
Old 04-29-2006, 06:33 PM

I'm not an expert, but most say that a 60hp/150 ft lbs box is the most the stock auto will take

I would say build it before you BOMB. DTT, Suncoast, Goerand, etc
Old 04-29-2006, 07:00 PM

It's hard to say. Mine didn't last with just an ez but some people can get away with more.

You're usually safe with an ez if you don't have too many miles and aren't too hard on it.

Good luck and start saving.
Old 04-30-2006, 09:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Driving style makes a big difference. If you are careful... and if your stock tranny is reasonably healthy, 200 ft-lbs should not cause problems.

Change Filter & Fluid (Synthetics would help keep the tranny happy) and get gauges before adding any power!!

RJ
Old 04-30-2006, 11:34 AM

Mine was fine with 4 inch exhaust, intake and an Edge comp but that was pushing it. Mine went as soon as I decided to do 4wd launches on 37s
Old 04-30-2006, 11:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
With a conservative driving style you should be ok with running something like the Edge EZ. Add about any injector to that and you'll definately push it into the "gray" area on whether the trans will live. I ran the EZ for a long time without a prob, but installed RV275 injectors and started slipping the trans while pulling my race trailer (approx 8000lb maybe more...). Unfortunately given the choice of either staying with the present pulling power and upgrading the trans, or....remove the injectors and do a stock rebuild (which would be cheaper)....I'm opting for the better trans.
Old 04-30-2006, 12:07 PM

I'm wondering the same thing, I have an 01 Q/C 4x4 sport, exaust and air intake are done but i just want the edge EZ (for now) to make a little more power but i have been asking diesel and tranny shops about this and some say that i will need a TC and VB and some say that i will be fine with only 65 hp, my stock tranny has 130,000 Km and was well looked after, i'm not hauling or drag racing but would like to use the power every now and then.
Old 04-30-2006, 03:39 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If i were you i would start saving up for a VB & TC, that's what i did after the stock TC started slipping.
A VB at the very least, this will help increase the line pressure to the TC.
Old 04-30-2006, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by S.Dodge
i'm not hauling or drag racing but would like to use the power every now and then.
You'll love the drivability that the EZ will add to the truck. It was all the snowbirds bombed trucks that I see on a daily basis which led me to believe how much it sucks to drive a stock 01 .
Old 05-02-2006, 07:57 PM

I have talked to m ore people and still can't get a straight answer on whether or not the EZ will screw my tranny, i know that it depends on how you drive but approx how long can it last, could a BD valve body help or would i need a TC also, I don't want to spend alot of money thats why i am going for the EZ and was hoping the tranny would be safe, what would benefit the tranny more, a TC or valve body, I can get the valve body pretty cheap, if i need it, Thanks for any help i know this topic was beat to death, just want to be safe.
Old 05-02-2006, 08:26 PM

I ran a Banks 71 HP w/ 4" exhaust on my 01 and never had a problem. Towed a lot of miles pulling 12000# with it and had 92000 when I sold the truck last month (06 on order). Still runs good w/o any slip.

2 brother-in-laws run Edge EZs on a 99 and 01 and both do a lot of 10000#+ towing and neither have had any problems. They are both around 70k miles.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by blord
I ran a Banks 71 HP w/ 4" exhaust on my 01 and never had a problem. Towed a lot of miles pulling 12000# with it and had 92000 when I sold the truck last month (06 on order). Still runs good w/o any slip.

2 brother-in-laws run Edge EZs on a 99 and 01 and both do a lot of 10000#+ towing and neither have had any problems. They are both around 70k miles.
Do they both have a stock tranny?
Old 05-02-2006, 10:19 PM

I bought my 01 with 26K on it. I knew the guy who bought it new as he had me service it where I work. They traded in 03 for the "quiet diesel" and I jumped on it. My truck pulled a 12K fifth wheel most of it's first life. I bought an EZ off of ebay for 125 and installed it the second week I had the truck. At 32 K I installed a torque convertor (stock) one as we were experiencing shudder in lockup. I didn't have the time/money to do any serious upgrades so it was basically a convertor swap and input shaft seals. The damage may have been done by the first owner as that convertor lasted till this present date with 94K on it. Only prob is back in october I installed the RV275 injectors and now I can flare the rpms if I lean on it in od/lockup (found that new years day pulling the trailer to a race). Spare trans is about done so I'll be swapping them out sometime this month if I have time.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by J BODY
I bought my 01 with 26K on it. I knew the guy who bought it new as he had me service it where I work. They traded in 03 for the "quiet diesel" and I jumped on it. My truck pulled a 12K fifth wheel most of it's first life. I bought an EZ off of ebay for 125 and installed it the second week I had the truck. At 32 K I installed a torque convertor (stock) one as we were experiencing shudder in lockup. I didn't have the time/money to do any serious upgrades so it was basically a convertor swap and input shaft seals. The damage may have been done by the first owner as that convertor lasted till this present date with 94K on it. Only prob is back in october I installed the RV275 injectors and now I can flare the rpms if I lean on it in od/lockup (found that new years day pulling the trailer to a race). Spare trans is about done so I'll be swapping them out sometime this month if I have time.
Do you think just a valve body would give the tranny a longer life or should a TC be added also? I don't want to spend a ton of money if its not needed.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:46 PM
RJF

Originally Posted by S.Dodge
I have talked to m ore people and still can't get a straight answer on whether or not the EZ will screw my tranny, i know that it depends on how you drive but approx how long can it last
Thats just it, you aren't going to get a "perfect" answer because every truck and driver is different. Some guys have no trans problems that tow everyday, and some guys do that don't tow and drive it easy. It just varies too much.

Now, the problem you could have is slipping the stock converter lockup clutch. A valve body should stop this without a different converter. It's up to you if you want to spend the money for the tigher converter.

Quick Reply: 01 Cummins with auto