Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

01' & Comp toasted me!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2002, 09:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
01' & Comp toasted me!

I helped a friend put a comp on his 01' 6spd reg. cab w/3:55 gears. afterwards we took it out & drove it then I got in my truck & we headed towards town, he only pulled me a couple truck lengths or so before I governed out, then we both went for the interstate, up the ramp when I shifted to 3rd I ran up on him, then I hit 4th & he pulled a little then 5th & he pulled about a truck length, then my truck started defueling & that was the end of me. he slowed down & I pulled up beside him & we both mashed the go pedal & I pulled him a foot maybe two then we stayed even until that dreaded defueling started again & he ran off & left me. all in all as bad as I hate to say it I believe he's got the better running truck [undecided] I guess the ol' #10 will get a little closer look at the front of the P-pump ;D then we'll see what happens. if that doesn't work, the 370's will be called in a little sooner than expected 8) thought you overvalved guys might get a chuckle out of this, Dusty
Old 12-08-2002, 12:01 AM

Re:01' & Comp toasted me!

My 96 With a #6 370's gov springs will flat out put a big time whoppin on my 02 H/O with a comp on 5x5. &gt; Time for some DD3's ;D<br><br><br> Mike
Old 12-08-2002, 11:02 AM

I think I need a gsk pretty bad cuz he's pullin' hard to about 3400 rpm's &amp; I start defueling at about 2800 rpm's/ 95mph, the top speed on mine doesn't really bother me, I can run around 100 mph at 3000 rpm's, but I'd really like to get to the 90-100 mph range a bit quicker would the gsk help me here??? &amp; can I get a 3600 rpm kit w/out the valve springs as long as I keep it in the 3300-3400 rpm range w/out revving past the 3400 rpm mark??? thanks Dusty
Old 12-08-2002, 02:38 PM

Dusty,<br><br>The 3K GSK lets my engine spin to 3200 easily. Beyond that you'd better upgrade the valve springs. Since you're happy with top end at about 3000, I'd recommend the 3K kit. Acceleration will be much better! ;D Shifts between 2700 and 3000 are awesome. I just don't really see the need to go any higher.<br><br>But that's just me, if you REALLY WANT to spin up to about 4K, bite the bullet and change the valve springs too. <br>(my $.02)
Old 12-08-2002, 02:48 PM

Further thinking on the subject... ???<br><br>I'm really wondering if you might already have the 3k kit. Did you buy the truck with some mods already done? I'm thinking you might be able to get 2800 with the stock springs tweaked, but I'd be pretty surprised if the engine would even spin ANY higher than that. <br><br>I guess you could always tear into it to find out. My kit (Piers) added two springs and a new bottom seat for each spring stack, removed three stock springs and two seats. The original outer spring was kept.
Old 12-08-2002, 04:23 PM

Hey vin diesel how difficult was it to change the springs I had my afc housing of today to set the fuel a little higher and looked around in there with the cam plate removed are they the two springs on the rods on the horizontal shft that is right below the cam plate?
Old 12-08-2002, 05:04 PM

[quote author=VinDiesel link=board=7;threadid=8021;start=0#77502 date=1039379896]<br>Dusty,<br><br>The 3K GSK lets my engine spin to 3200 easily. Beyond that you'd better upgrade the valve springs. Since you're happy with top end at about 3000, I'd recommend the 3K kit. Acceleration will be much better! ;D Shifts between 2700 and 3000 are awesome. I just don't really see the need to go any higher.<br><br>But that's just me, if you REALLY WANT to spin up to about 4K, bite the bullet and change the valve springs too. <br>(my $.02)<br>[/quote]<br><br>My 97 5spd will hit 2800 pretty good with no GSK!! And i know!! it has the stock springs!!
Old 12-08-2002, 07:36 PM

[quote author=97CTD link=board=7;threadid=8021;start=0#77540 date=1039388698]<br><br>My 97 5spd will hit 2800 pretty good with no GSK!! And i know!! it has the stock springs!!<br>[/quote]<br><br>I guess that may just be the difference between the auto and a standard then. As I recall, I couldn't get much over 2600 (on flat land, anyway) before I put in the 3K GSK. I suppose there is always a little extra drag from the torque converter.
Old 12-08-2002, 07:56 PM

boughtadodge,

Basically, yes. The governor springs can be seen below the cam plate area. Depending on where your engine stopped, one may or may not be visible. You can slowly and carefully turn the engine over backwards with a 22mm socket and ratchet on the alternator nut to bring them (one at a time) into position. They look almost like valve springs and retainers for a V8. Instead of tapered locks, the retainers use slotted nuts that have &quot;bumps&quot; on the bottom. The bumps fall into matching depressions in the retainer, and that's what makes &quot;clicks&quot; as you turn the nuts.

You can get a few more rpms by tighteninng the nuts another click or two. The Piers GSK comes with a nice set of written instructions with some illustrations. I found it very easy to &quot;go in through the top&quot; (under the cam plate) as other members have suggested. Once there, just a big screwdriver and a small diameter magnetic retriever were all I needed.

After installation the idle stop bolt will probably have to be readjusted.
Old 12-08-2002, 08:53 PM

I saw a spring in there that resembled a valve spring I tach out around 2750 how much can I gain by just tightening the nuts how much can I adjust them? I would like to get a little more rpm so the transmission will shift at full throttle the kick down seems to hold it back and not let it shift before I hit the governor Thanks for the info. Matt
Old 12-09-2002, 12:41 AM

Matt,

I didn't ever try to tighten mine, but I think you can only go a couple of clicks before you loose control over the idle speed.
Others have mentioned about a 200rpm maximum gain.

I currently have my auto shifting at about 2400-2500 at WOT.
Before the kit, I could feel the power falling off before a shift just like yours. After all, the stock springs start defueling somewhere around 2200-2300. Now I'm thinking about setting my WOT shift points up to about 2700. Manually shifting at 2700-3000 produces nice firm shifts and excellent acceleration. Even very light throttle is more responsive. Though the kit seems a little pricey, I'd say the GSK is the next best hop-up value after a plate. With a little shoppping around, you should be able to buy one for about $125.00.
I don't think you would be disappointed. ;D

You may already be planning on them, but you will want a set of gauges so you can keep an eye on everything- EGT, boost, and probably trans temp. Also, as we turn up the power, eventually the auto will need help to hold it.
Old 12-09-2002, 07:59 AM

Vindiesel Sounds good I think I will try the plate and the springs My tranny seems really good but has a lot of miles on it I hate to put money in it with out doing the whole tranny so I think I will just use it till I need to replace it then I will go with a complete stronger one that is built to handle the power. How do you like the transgo kit? yea I know I need at least a pyrometer but that will come in time if I was pulling anything right now I would have already done it but I still have my trust 86 ford 350 turbo diesel for that so I am not using the dodge exept for light duty use. Matt
Old 12-09-2002, 12:47 PM

Matt,<br><br>I like the TransGo kit very well, though the instructions were a little less detailed than I would have liked. A call to Brady on the tech line helped sort it out. I was surprised that shift firmness only increased a small amount, but it is proportional with how much throttle is being applied. The shifts do happen very quickly, with less &quot;overlap&quot;. Also, shift point ranges can be selected by choosing one of four supplied springs. I think for the money it is a good upgrade, and feel that it will help hold a little more power. Ultimately tranny parts such as clutches, bands, TC, etc. will need to be upgraded, but I think the kit is a good thing in the meantime.<br><br>Vin
Old 12-09-2002, 01:25 PM

Hey vin I called ats this morning and was asking clint about my options he said the week link is the converter and suggested that I do a converter and a valve body and that the rest of the tranny would hold up. He said it would handle the extra hp if I just done these mods it would be fairly exspensive just shy of two grand Matt