Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

01 6 spd Do i buy it and what Mods?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2004, 10:52 AM

Location: Used to be missoula, montana: Now in Sonoma County California
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
01 6 spd Do i buy it and what Mods?

looking seriously at an 01 6 spd 46000 miles $23000, 4x4 3.55's, time to retire the hot rod to part time duty not daily and get something with a few less miles and a whole lot less abuse.

anyways i am aware that a south bend would be my first mod f i want to bomb even mildly. Id like to add 4" pipe & a BHAF, i have a HX35 with the 60mm 6 blade fan and a 14 cm WG housing that i could swap on if i up the fuel with something like a combo of EDM 2's and a boost fooler? so my main question is can i skip putting a box on or will it be necessary and what kind of mild smile can i expect out of my face with just the EDM's and the boost fooler? or is the boost fooler in the programming box?

Gauges are a must.... so is a pusher pump.

Tell me if some of this stuff is unecessary or incorrect i havent played with a 24v enough yet to know.

I would love to go wild but since this truck is probably going to spend 90% of its time commuting and pulling in traffic in a smokey vehicle ticket area i would like to keep her on the easy side of wild.

I know go-pedal control, i have that and the smokey power with my 12v with this new truck i just want to try and tune some more Power out of this 24v but i really am searching for is the mileage, i got my 12v to 25 for awhile and now im back to 21 i think with the better flow and a few mods including the turbo i should be able to keep up a clean/ almost lean burn and get into the 20+ ball park out of the 24 and still knock on the 300-325 hp and the 575-650 ft/lbs ... and not have to worry about EGT's either even pulling full loads on donner pass or are the EGTs going to start pegging pretty easy at WOT?

Thanks for the tips
Dusty
Old 02-25-2004, 01:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The HO's (6 speed) respond better to big injectors than a timing box, like EZ.

Too much timing in the box for the HO combined with big injectors creates too much cylinder pressure, which causes head gaskets to blow.

Going with a bigger turbo with boost fooler and bigger injectors should beef it up well without a lot of smoke.

The EDM injectors are supposed to smoke less than the honed type injectors.

Just thought I'd pass this along....
Old 02-25-2004, 03:27 PM

That makes sense that the HO doesnt like additional advanced timing.
Thank you for the tips ill heed the advise and carefully plot my mild bombing course with this truck.
Old 02-25-2004, 04:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the Mach 2's with a boost fooler would run pretty good. The EDM's are really clean, so i don't think the smoke police would be a problem. I'd guess around 325 HP with no box.

Boyd.
Old 02-25-2004, 07:04 PM

Wow that would work just fine for me, 325hp, simple yet effective and clean with power i might grow to really like a 24v ive been scared so far of them.

1. Clutch
2. Fresh air BHAF maybe a hole in the cowl, ill have to ride in a truck with that setup first hear the noise and the see the benefit.
3. swap on turbo/ boost fooler/add injectors
4. 4" exhaust

Sounds like a good way to spend 2K over the next year or so after buying a new used truck.

This is deffinately a different approach than the old torque plate method

thanks
Dusty
Old 03-08-2004, 04:27 PM

So how far can that HX35 be taken and when i say take i mean WOT keeping things cool 1200-1250 and in what combo including exhaust housing or if i jump up to a HX40 with a 16 wg, what size injectors do you have to go to then and can you cool them or will you be over fueling, slugish and smokey and then great mid range and upper?
i know there is going to be a point where this thing is going to loose efficiency and start sucking the fuel. What about these B1 turbos im hearing about?
I like the idea of being able to cool the HP i just havent entirely grasped the whole process what the equations are for establishing needs. Im trying to stay without the box as i said before but if i do that how will i achieve the boost fooler?

Oh yeah new rig is an 02 HO 6spd take delivery on it in two weeks. already have a 400hp ceramic LUK clutch with only 25k on it so ill probably run it till i need a replacement, ill be sure to already have a SB by next year on my shelf. I have the HX35 hybrid 60mm like i said so that might be all i need right now with the EDM2's but if i go to jump up next year im just trying to formualte different options.

Also what about lift pump problems what about the FASS or other options?

Thanks Guys
Old 03-08-2004, 05:09 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
First, some myth busting:

The EZ will NOT mean a blown HG on the ETH trucks. It WILL raise peak cylinder pressure. The EZ works great on the ETHs, but you have to remember what you use it for. If you tow heavy, stick with small injectors. If you don't tow at all, I would say injectors up to 100hp. DO NOT GO BIGGER THAN 100HP on the injectors with the EZ on an ETH. This is where you would really start to enter the danger zone.

If you want a sane setup that's almost completely smoke-free, I would say an EZ and Mach1.5s would be great (set the jumper to least aggressive.

Personally, I would just go with Mach 2s and a basic boost fooler: controllable EGTs, smooth power, good mileage, very little smoke. Plus, your clutch might even hold.

The Mach1.5s are probably the single best all around injector IMHO. They are super clean and give you no egt issues unless you tow 30K at 11,000 feet. They're perfect for most sane people, and let you stick with stock intake and exhaust.

Since you already have the 60mm wheel setup, the EDM 2s should be completely safe. GO with some 2.3s or 2.4s and a simple boost fooler and you will have more power for less money than an EZ+injector combo.

Justin
Old 03-08-2004, 05:43 PM

Sanity? whats that

The 2.3' and 2.4's where can i find specifics on these not concerning HP gains as much as just details on the quality of thier manufacturing I hear about all these things just wondering who makes em ect. I see Don M's name who is he what is his company? what is really intriguing about these is how closely you can dial the system in with these or so it appears.
Old 03-08-2004, 06:15 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Don Morrison owns is the genius behind Formula 1 Diesel. He is the maker of the "mach" EDM injectors.

He can tweak the exact flow rates of his injectors to dial in EXACTLY what you want. You can say things like "Don, I want an injector that will max out at 1200 degrees towing my 10K# fiver up a 6% grade with stock air and exhaust."

Bang-- perfect injector arrive shortly after. He can REALLy dial those things in. This is because some people want something in between the 40hp or so jump between stages.

Justin