Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

01 24V Banks Power Pack or Not (long)

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2003, 07:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
01 24V Banks Power Pack or Not (long)

Hi all. I am a newbie here but hear it is the place for good advice. I have an 01 diesel ram quad cab with 315's and otherwise stock. It has about 80k on it and runs like a dream. I have been researching and I want a quality horsepower adder. I have been thinking about the Banks Power Pack, complete kit.

http://www.bankspower.com/System.cfm...amp;sysid=SD13

At any rate, what I would like help with is:
1. Is there a better kit or investment ?
2. Quality.
3. Installation tips
4. Drawbacks

You get the idea... before I spend 2 grand on this mando-kit, I would like to see if there is any pro's and con's from people who know what they are talking about. Thanks soooo much. You can reply or email me at: diesel.dog@davidrichardinc.com

Rick.
Old 10-05-2003, 09:32 PM

Re:01 24V Banks Power Pack or Not (long)

Rick, I have owned the entire Banks Powerpack on my 2001. As of now there is not one single Banks part on my truck. Honestly for the 2+ grand that you would spend on the kit you can get more performance out of a $600 EDGE box. There are definantly better investments out there. The only quality product I belive they offer for Dodge is there Stainless Steel Exhaust although you can find aluminized exhaust that will out last the truck for half the price. Honestly the best way to upgrade your truck with quality products is doing exactly what you are doing now... ask. If you can tell us what kind of hp you want to acheive, how much you can spend, what you use your truck for, and which tranny you have you will find plenty of advice. My best advice would be stay away from Banks.

Horace
Old 10-06-2003, 04:07 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Agreed. Banks products are generally very high quality, and deliver what they generally claim.

BUT, for what they deliver, you can do much more with much less. I am presently about 50hp higher than the full-tilt BANKS kit, and have spent only $1100. For similar power levels, try an EZ and DD2 injectors.

Also, the Banks company has received bad word-of-mouth by claiming that their stuff won't void your warrantee when it DOES. Their fueling computer taps that wire, so the warrantee is gone.

Their fueling computer isn't cutting edge.

Their exhaust system is VERY high quality, and VERY expensive.

Their High Ram intake is dyno-proven to gain ZERO hp (sometimes costs hp), and costs over $200.

Their wastegate actuator still keeps the stock turbo, which is the main problem.

If you want to spend BANKS amount of money, go with a nice aftermarket turbo, a decent exhaust, EDM injectors, and the top-line TST box (with built-in guages and defueling).

With all this, you will have spent a good chunk of change, but have nearly 500hp of clean, usable, SAFE power
Old 10-06-2003, 04:16 PM

i agree with the other two posts. BUT, the banks monster exhaust is the best - hands-down in my opinion. after the exhaust checkout wildcat diesel, piers diesel, EZ.....
i banks has burnt so many bridges the size of the golden gate that you can expect them to pull back on the systems they offer for the newer trucks. you can get better stuff w/out second mortgaging the spread.
Old 10-06-2003, 04:31 PM

Don't know what tranny you have, and don't know exactly what you are wanting power wise so I will hold off on the suggestions. Banks opinions are flowing today (had a disagreement this morning about Banks (not with a customer) sorry for the rant), Air Filter=K&N=J&UNK, High Ram=looks cool, Ottomind TLC=not as good as Edge EZ (but it costs more), Quick Turbo=not as good as my modified 14cm housing (but it costs more), Monster Muffler=Dynomax or ______ diesel muffler, Monster Exhaust=a pretty good value if you need stainless, Dyna Fact Gauge=old styling, poor visibility and poor mouting facility. OK I'm done. They make a Big Fat Elbow or something to that effect that really is a pretty good value (takes out the restricted turbo down elbow), but it is not even included in this kit. Call me if you want some good prices and good service on some excellent products.
www.westtexasturbodiesel.com
Old 10-06-2003, 04:41 PM

92 Red -

I too have an '01, and I wish I had found this site before I spent 2k on my Banks power pack kit..The only thing I have left is the 4" exhaust. None of the Banks stuff will work with any other product. So off it all came to do some real HP mods. I have ran EDM mach 2's, a k45 turbo, rv275's, and now DD2's with a PDR hx-35. Take it from someone who has tried it all..ME! I've spent oh, alot, trying to find an acceptable combination of smoke and horsepower. I feel now that I have. I'm running a TST PM3 w/remote, DD2's, PDR hx-35, scotty II, and my banks exhaust..I'm good for about 400 hp at a cost equal to or less than you would spend for the Banks kit alone..Wish I had done that the first time around, but you live & learn..Now have good power, little to no smoke, and good mileage...Get a fuel box, either edge or tst, some DD2's or rv275 injectors, and a scotty II and you'll be estatic..
Old 10-06-2003, 04:44 PM
Banned

Banks breaks the bank.
Old 10-06-2003, 09:05 PM

I can't tell you how impressed I am with all the thorough and exciting replies I am getting. I will have some time closer to the weekend to print all this and ask some more questions of you all. Thanks so much, I'll post again later in the week when I can wrap my tiny brain around all this. I can't wait to do some mods. I am willing to spend around $2k. I have never spent a dime on the truck except routine maint. and it is time to have some fun. I'd like to spend it in concert with your experiences and recommendations. Be well, thanks again, I'll re-post later in the week !!
Old 10-06-2003, 09:39 PM

92gt5ohRed welcome from a fellow rookie and I appreciate the question and the answers you got. These guys are absolutely awesome around here and I ditto the info above. I am planning to get the 275's, scotty II'(aFe filter), 4inch exhaust, ATS 3 piece exhaust manifold and an edge ez fuel box. Made these choices because of all the answers I have seen others getting by asking the right questins, like you did. Look into the tech tips and links at the top of DTR's web site and continue to find out just how right these guys are. Koodos to everyone on this site. I will go nowhere else but here.
Old 10-06-2003, 10:54 PM

wttd - that is some sweet encryptions....what does it all mean ;D
just to give you my credentials w/banks; i've donated $3.5k to banks for a powerpack for an excursion psd - could have gotten a better chip, the K&N drop in filter is junk, i guess the "hi-flow" intercooler works :, turbo upgrades (compresser impeller, turbine exhaust housing, big head wastegate)....it sounds GREAT, BUT, the monster exhaust is the best!!!!
don't get me wrong, it runs like he!! (please, please mr. moderator, don't remove my he!!), but i really do believe i spent about twice as much as i could/should have....do i have anamosity? YES!
my 03 ctd will get the monster exhaust, and that IS IT!
i had a problem with my chip when i initially got the system, and the reps at banks acted like they didn't even know who i was.....bad, VERY BAD!!!!!!!!!!1 >
i've paid for A LOT of gas for the rep's beemers/benz' at banks....and look at the gratitude i got >
Old 10-06-2003, 10:57 PM

i wonder if the yutz' at banks ever get any of this "real" feedback?
their website is full of POSITIVE feedback......yutz'! (that is plural for YUTZ!)
Old 10-07-2003, 08:44 AM

roperdog,
Sorry you got Banks'ed with the PSD package. I know what the banks system for the Dodge is and does, but I don't have any experience with the Banks PSD systems. I do know what works on PSD's and can get the same power improvement with less $$$. Sorry if my descriptions were incomplete.