Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

*Ouch* The Bug Has Bit(Injectors)

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 06:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh man, here we go again! lol Yeah thats amazing those big injectors do so well. Im hoping these Mach 1's can get another half to 1 mpg. Have heard it is realistically possible. Im kind of done with the HP thing, having fun making it smooth with better mileage lately..

Come on Mach 1's..

By the way I sold the "stocky" but the guy wrote a bad check, so still have it. Guess ill wait it out and see if nything new comes down the bitstream..

So, Its hard to find info on Mach 1's because most people dont want the small injectors.. Who has them?? What do you think? Did I waste my money changing over from 275's? Naaahh sure it isnt wasted. They will probably be nice mild inj's in the long run.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really liked the 275s I had with the stock turbo and an edge comp. I saw a slight milage increase running them as well. I had a set of injectors a local shop made were supposed to be really great. I switched them out for a set of Mach 2s and wow what a difference. I have hardly no smoke as compared to blacking out an intersection. SOP seems same but these Machs burn so much cleaner and cooler. My hats off to Don M on a great product. I got my RV 275s off Ebay for right around $300. The bug bit me though and I went bigger now that I got twins I want to go bigger oh the slippery slope we walk upon.
Joe
Old 08-27-2007, 09:40 PM

My truck was perfect until I installed rv275 injectors. I had heat and smoke under control with the stock injectors. Now
I have to keep it on level 1 or it gets to hot towing in the mountains and smoke is bad even on level 1 in town.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:37 PM

Hey Mike,
I'm running a Mach 1.6's in my 2000, won't get too hot unless you lay into it hard and long with a trailer on. With the smarty it tows very nicely, can be smokey or not depending on how you use your right foot.
Old 09-02-2007, 03:00 AM

The Mach 1's are in.

They are more responsive and smooth off the bottom than the 275's. Feel more like DD2's as Hohn mentioned. Very low smoke though. In fact, you have to work at making smoke. Get under the turbo and romp it, and youll make some "darkness" but driving it (still by habit from having bigger inj's ) I look back and am usually surprised to see it very clean. Egts are slightly higher than 275's so far but still seem pretty cool.. First thing I noticed was they idle VERY smooth. Strange thing though, they are the first injectors that have raised the idle speed up about 25-50 rpms. Not sure its the injectors yet. Maybe I mucked with a wire on the bottom of the apps and threw out the idle switch adjustment or something like that. Its not a problem, just havent seen that on any of the other sets of inj's in this truck. Maybe its because they are VERY efficient and are going to net me 25mpg! hehe Anyways thanks for the reports Hohn. They are definitely clean and responsive for being the lowest level F1 injectors. Cant imagine having M4's or higher. The throttle must be really touchy.

Bottom line. So far pretty happy with the Mach 1's As said before they are smooth, clean, responsive, and run fairly cool. Will probably be excellent for towing as long as EGT's arent a problem, but Ive so far only been able to drive it in very hot (100* weather).

Honestly, those 275's still were hard to beat for the dollar in this power range and I think its going to come down to personal preference on if the extra 300 bucks is worth the EDM smoothness. Im missing the 275's a bit, but do like the smoothness of the M1's.
Old 09-02-2007, 03:33 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The Mach 1s are the injectors these trucks should have come with from the factory.

With an EZ and M1s, you have more power than a 3rd gen truck and way better mileage.

Phil-- please report on your MPG after you've run the M1s a bit. They are really a fantastic injector. The bottom end is very stout for such a small injector.

Glad you like em. Big thanks to my friend Gary in Cheyenne, who ordered his set from Rip rook and gave me a chance to install them and experience them firsthand.

Justin
Old 09-02-2007, 12:33 PM

Agreed - at least it should come stock w/ the 275's at a min. M1's would make a good "HO" version.

That is one of the main reasons I tried the 275's, now the M1's was due to this truck has never attained the mileage that I had hoped for. After reading so many reports of 22-23 mpg's w/ their 5.9, my friend at work with M1.5's gets 22 with his 4x4 same year as mine (but has 265 tires - and an auto), MY best has been about 18 avg no matter which combo Ive tried in the past. Granted it is a 4x4 and also had some more aggressive treads w/ higher rolling resistance for a while but never bigger than these 285's. Also have to deal with the big city traffic here but even on long trips, 18.5 on the road was rare.

Kind of hurried it from the 275's to the M1's so never got an accurate mpg number with the RV's for various reasons, but actually wasnt seeing a big increase over the previous big honed style that they replaced just going by the "miles so far to fuel gauge" reading method which is a very crude estimate. The 275s ran smooth and cool. In fact so cool, when going down to the 275's, I actually for a few minutes wondered if my pyro was working right because it took so long to come up to normal temps. Had to get it up on the freeway and romp it a little to see what I was used to seeing, but had to push it more. Still, plenty of torque.

Now am running better treads, 52psi in the tires. So after playing with the power settings, maybe the Van Aaken for a bit then will remove it, will put Smarty on fuel saver (which should rival an EZ for mileage) and get some real mileage figures and report back.

Would be nice to see an all time high of 20, but "realistically" 18.5 would be good for this rig. Either way its running good..

Got these from Rip at Sourceautomotive also. He took the time out of his hectic day to call me back on the phone, answered my questions well and has always been great to deal with.
Old 09-08-2007, 11:52 AM

Follow-up:

The M1s gave 18.5 mpg (which in the past I would have normally seen about 17.5) on about 300 miles total driving. Keep in mind that was the first they have been run and I did alot of "messing around" with them in. That was with city (stop & go) and turning up the power box to see how they smoke with extra fuel. Never did give them a good highway run, but am sure the results would have been slightly better then the 275s judging by how efficient they run.

Bottom line: They run as rumored. They give a good 65HP gain with incredibly low smoke. They run maybe a little warmer than 275s, but that is directly related to the extra power. They are incredibly smooth at any rpm and you can even feel the smoothness while cruising. None of the other injectors that Ive tried have run that smooth (these were my first edm style ones). They raised the idle up about 50 rpms also and the tach sits rock steady.

After all that said & re-said.. I went back to the 275s.. ..They fit my driving style a little better due to being a little more mild and they match my setup better since im running a power box and stock turbo. The M1s were a little more aggressive than I was looking for.. Most people would probably love them though as they really wake up the bottom end response.

Theyre in the classifieds if anyone is looking for a set. Ordered new copper washers for them as well.

Edited: The injectors are sold.
Old 09-08-2007, 01:48 PM

What do you mean by too aggressive... Is it to much fuel for a timing box and stock turbo... I'm really interested in these...
Old 09-08-2007, 05:32 PM

No, not too much fuel for only having a timing box and a stock turbo. That is probably a perfect application for Mach 1 injectors. Your 4 inch exhaust, gauges, along with a good fuel supply, and upgraded air intake would make that a great towing or all around combination. For example, if you go to the sourceautomotive webpage, they have a towing package special that includes a similar setup using M1 injectors.

I (like alot of others of course) run a fueling box which adds around 100 more HP on top of that which makes it necessary to run an upgraded turbo for that power to be usable. So, for my setup 275 injectors are even still pushing it for a the stock turbo if using all the fuel available.
Old 09-09-2007, 12:23 PM

Following up on the Follow Up...

Just took a 300 mile sample with the RV275s. = 17.4 mpg The rough number I got when the M1s were in was 18.5. I do think the M1s will net better mileage overall.

Keep in mind these are only "small rough" mpg numbers and were not averaged out over numerous tanks full like the test should be run, but the M1s are IMO definitely efficient.

I still like the mildness of the 275s better for my driving style but it does look like it comes with a mpg hit.

Just thought Id share these findings for someone that might be interested and dont mean to beat the dead horse.. ok, ill use the dam smiley..

The M1s sold fast, with several people wanting them.. .. Gee wiz - wonder why?
Old 09-09-2007, 12:48 PM

did your idle drop back down with the 275's?
Old 09-09-2007, 12:52 PM

Yes, about 25 rpms, and not quite as smooth..
Old 09-09-2007, 12:59 PM

what is the difference in power?
Old 09-09-2007, 01:12 PM

Quite a bit actually. The M1s are responsive right off the bottom and will pull well at any rpms. Comparing that to the 275s which need a little more "coaxing" or some extra fuel from a box to get the same or similar pull from down low.

Quick Reply: *Ouch* The Bug Has Bit(Injectors)