Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

[B]What kind of upgrades can I use to get me to 390hp?[/B]

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 08:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool [B]What kind of upgrades can I use to get me to 390hp?[/B]

What kind of upgrades can I use to get me to 390hp?
I am looking to get my 98 12v to the high 300's from where it is now. I have a Banks Power Pack with the fuel plate, turbo housing, 4" exhaust, and Big Ram Intake. Those are the only drivetrain upgrades at this point. I am considering a transmission upgrade, injectors, and maybe delivery valves. As always the budget is the limiting factor and I am finding it increasingly difficult to find a quality transmission that isn't competition priced in the four thousand range for just the trans without a torque converter. I am open to suggestions gentlemen and as always, THANKS.
Old 11-25-2006, 09:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by srtdiesel
What kind of upgrades can I use to get me to 390hp?
I am looking to get my 98 12v to the high 300's from where it is now. I have a Banks Power Pack with the fuel plate, turbo housing, 4" exhaust, and Big Ram Intake. Those are the only drivetrain upgrades at this point. I am considering a transmission upgrade, injectors, and maybe delivery valves. As always the budget is the limiting factor and I am finding it increasingly difficult to find a quality transmission that isn't competition priced in the four thousand range for just the trans without a torque converter. I am open to suggestions gentlemen and as always, THANKS.

banks power pack?

do yourself a favor, and get rid of it, u can do better, BUT since u already have it, i have some experience with the power pack... i had a full power pack on my truck, best i got out of it was about as good as a stock duramax, till i threw in some 370s and timing

HOWEVER there might be a light at the end of that tunnel, i dynoed at 350 rwhp with a dead clutch. NOW im assuming with a good clutch and the 16.5 timing, the banks power pack, and the 370s i MIGHT have been closer to 400 rwhp, I suppose that cross drilling the exhaust housing, or blocking the wastegate might have had a different effect, cause with the old dyno sheet, and prior messing with the truck i was able to hit 44 psi with a blocked gate, safe boost no? cooled, nope, but i was able to hit it...

Never have gotten back on the dyno again for dissapointment the first time, and second of all funds, NOw im closer to 500 rwhp and i want to see what i can do with this thing, But the only banks thing left in my truck is the 14cm exhaust housing, which actually turned out to be quite good for the twins..

Try this and u should be close (if u wanna skip the above reading)
4K GSK
370 injectors
191 DV's (i have a set, went back to stock for now)
16.5 degree timing
REPLACE your banks plate (about a number 6 or 11, not sure which) with a 0 or a 100
(Push the fuel plate as far forward as it will go, loosen the starwheel to a few clicks from completely loose, and push the AFC forward while u are at it..)

Then again, u aint got nothing banks left in there, except ur muffler and housing, see what i mean?

U should be close, if not up there in the 375 range minimum...

Good luck and PM me if i can be of any assistance

Respectfully

Rick

PS is ur truck a manual or auto, mine is a manual and its my basis for comparison, in either case, u are gonna need either clutch, or auto tranny upgrades to hold anything over 350 rwhp on the manual, and about 300 on the auto.
Old 11-25-2006, 11:09 PM

whats so bad with the banks powerpack kit?? also with all the stuff u have on yours what are u getting for MPG?? and what were u getting with the banks kit??

just out of curousity??
Old 11-25-2006, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by Racing_Joe66
whats so bad with the banks powerpack kit?? also with all the stuff u have on yours what are u getting for MPG?? and what were u getting with the banks kit??

just out of curousity??
Banks

simply said, u can have more power for less money, heck theres alot of free power with these trucks, Im not saying its all bad, its good for a tow rig, but there is much better..

I get better mileage now with my mods than i did with banks stuff on there, the timing alone was a huge difference over anything else... and now with more air to better burn the fuel, it sure helps

Rick
Old 11-25-2006, 11:34 PM

looking at my signature. the mods i'll be doing what do u think of them?? as i have the banks kit sitting here new in the box and thinking of putting it on. and with these other mods this winter.
Old 11-26-2006, 08:31 PM

looking at my signature. the mods i'll be doing what do u think of them?? as i have the banks kit sitting here new in the box and thinking of putting it on. and with these other mods this winter.
The banks will be nice over stock,

heck then again everything is, id do it then build from there if you already have it, its a good basis to start the BOMBing process. I do like the idea of propane injection as well as the ARB front and rear lockers, should make for a wicked wheeling ride...

Good luck gettin it goin

Rick
Old 11-26-2006, 09:56 PM

ya i want the ARB in the front so when i am really off roading i can lock it but when i am on the highway or in town i can unlock and don't have to worry about getting jerked around. the back i thought about a detroit locker but they make alot of noise. so i decided to put another ARB there too. the propane mainly for burning the fuel better and fuel econonmy not really the HP and TQ gain. yea i will probably put the banks kit on. i have had it for like 5 monthes now and still sitting in the boxes.

the mods i'll be doing how much u think for HP and TQ??

thanks
Old 11-27-2006, 10:51 AM

ya i want the ARB in the front so when i am really off roading i can lock it but when i am on the highway or in town i can unlock and don't have to worry about getting jerked around. the back i thought about a detroit locker but they make alot of noise. so i decided to put another ARB there too. the propane mainly for burning the fuel better and fuel econonmy not really the HP and TQ gain. yea i will probably put the banks kit on. i have had it for like 5 monthes now and still sitting in the boxes.

the mods i'll be doing how much u think for HP and TQ??

thanks
If all ur doin is banks

expect no more hp than what a stock dmax 99-01 would have.. Im talkin out of experience really, i had the full pack

Rick
Old 11-27-2006, 11:41 AM

digital propane injection also.
ATS 3 piece exhaust manifold.
the pump is turned up
timing is advanced